Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2012 C-Zero 60km motorway trip year round

• 27-06-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

So we're just in the process of buying our first house. Hopefully moving in sometime in July/August.

I figured I would be fine range wise, as the house is 80km pure motorway from my work, but there is the fast charge at castlebellingham which is only 61km. I figured this would be fine on full charge even in winter.

But we did a test run on Sunday, left current house with 118km estimated range, drove the 67km to the fast charge with wiper on the whole time and got to the fast charge with about 20km estimed left!

Now I'm a bit worried that when it cold in winter and I also have the lights on, I might not even make it the 61 to the fast charge! Pretty much the whole journey is motorway, straight up the M1 from swords.

Don't really know what I'm asking here, maybe you could all tell me it will be fine?! :o Ha!

Comments

Lights and wipers don't affect the range but standing water, cold weather (the battery doesn't perform as well in cold while the heating uses extra energy) and headwind however do.

Driving slower on the motorway helps with the range if the conditions are bad. I guess you could use the N2 instead which might also help with the range although that particular road is quite hilly. It's a fairly long commute on a C-Zero for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

When it's 60/40 Motorway to regular roads, I can easily get 100-110km per charge. It's mad how much it drops when it's 90% motorway.

I guess we'll just have to try it and see how it goes.

If I were to upgrade to a new ev, would a leaf be my best bet for this kind of commute?

If I were to upgrade to a new ev, would a leaf be my best bet for this kind of commute?

Absolutely.

At 100-110 Kph you should get 110-115 kms winter max by which you should be actually plugged in charging, but strong winds and lots of surface water will reduce this, lights, wipers will not make a difference.

Summer should see 130-140 kms at 100-110 kph max when you would need to be plugged in . All on a new battery and 24 kwh.

The 30 Kwh will have about 30 Kms more range. At an 80% charge the 30 Kwh will have a little bit more range than the 24 Kwh at 100% charge.

If buying new remember Leaf II will be here in 1.5 years and perhaps other models to choose, if buying in January 17 then it would only be a year away.

Leaf II is said to have a 60 Kwh battery for 280-330 kms range but in order to keep costs as low as possible it's highly likely there will be different battery options so you can pick the range you want based on what you can pay and what you need.

Thanks mad lad.

Popped over to Nissan this morning to get some prices. They're gonna ring me back with a trade in value on the c-zero, they'd never seen one before!

He was showing me a 15 plate one which he said would definitely manage the 60km motorway trip.

• Advertisement

60 km is no problem even in the 24 Kwh 110 kms should be no problem at 100-110 kph but after 110 kms be close to a charge point.

The 30 Kwh charges faster from the fast chargers which , along with the extra rage would be very convenient. But it would be more expensive than the 24 Kwh.

The 6.6 Kw charger is also very useful when out and about and will save you a lot of time waiting at fast chargers, plug into a standard street charger and it should get from 20/30% - 90% in 2 hrs.

Advertisement