Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Phibsboro area like?

Options
  • 27-06-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm a teacher, thinking about applying for a job in Philsborough. However, I have heard mixed reviews about the area, and what it's like to teach in (behavioral difficulties, difficult family backgrounds, and just a generally undesirable area to live). However, all of these reports come from people who have never been there, so I don't believe them. Wondering what people here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Where is Philsboro?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

I assume you mean Phibsboro?

I see it as very mixed. It's rental city, not very settled. A lot of old houses split up into run down flats and a lot of grim shop fronts. Horrible traffic on the main street and easily the ugliest shopping centre in Dublin. It's definitely not a sink estate type of area though, so unlikely to have the same social issues as say Finglas or Ballymun. It's just grim and full of short term rentals and rough in the same way that Parnell street is rough.

I wouldn't live there myself personally, I find it grim and depressing. I didn't even like passing through it on the bus when I used to live in Dublin. I would recommend looking a bit further out, somewhere like Glasnevin, Whitehall or the outer parts of Drumcondra are quieter and much nicer and within a short commute to work.

I would however say that teaching there would be fine, as it's very multicultural and mixed so likely to be a nice place to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Where is Philsboro?

Its where my belaved bowhumians fatball clob play ;)
    Phibsborough is fine op,fairly safe, a few drunks begging around the place but you'll get that anywhere that close to town.Everything is on your doorstep there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pauly1992

Thanks for the replies!! Yeah, I meant Phibsborough. I'll be new to Dublin, total country boy here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

Pauly1992 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher, thinking about applying for a job in Philsborough. However, I have heard mixed reviews about the area, and what it's like to teach in (behavioral difficulties, difficult family backgrounds, and just a generally undesirable area to live). However, all of these reports come from people who have never been there, so I don't believe them. Wondering what people here think?

Yeah its fine plenty of dodgy surrounding areas though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Drumcondra and Glasnevin are both very close by and probably nicer places to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is Phibsboro last weekend :) It's grand, nice even. Not as buzzy as Stoneybatter and the main street is grim looking and (insanely) heavily trafficked but there are nice places to eat, a few nice green areas and it's really handy for town. There's a community & arts festival, tidy towns and lots of community events during the year.

Not to say it doesn't have its bad bits, you will absolutely get to know all the local winos & general mad heads, but they don't tend to annoy anyone except for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's not bad really, a bit flatland, and the traffic is totally mental. My mother always called it Fizzboro. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pauly1992 wrote: »

Its like a lot of schools...mixed. ( I assume you're referring to St Peters)
    A large proportion of "foreign" pupils but from talking to parents I know who are Irish its a good school. Has a lot of Indians and Filipinos, so I assume their parents are nurses in the Mater. It also has a parents violin class!

Phibsboro has areas I wouldnt live in like Cabra Park but apart from that its not too bad.
    Near to town, the botanic gardens and the Mater hospital. There is a also a tesco store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think it's a great area to live - you've got the Phoenix Park + Botanics on your doorstep, as well as being 10 mins walk from O'Connell Street. Lots of nice places in Stoneybatter and Smithfield, as well as the Woodstock in Phibsborough itself.

I also like the fact that you're well catered for in terms of public services: fire station, hospital, garda station + prison all close by!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sacksian wrote: »
    I think it's a great area to live - you've got the Phoenix Park + Botanics on your doorstep, as well as being 10 mins walk from O'Connell Street. Lots of nice places in Stoneybatter and Smithfield, as well as the Woodstock in Phibsborough itself.

I also like the fact that you're well catered for in terms of public services: fire station, hospital, garda station + prison all close by!

The inhabitants aren't the most social;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

There's also a new Cafe / Coffee Shop or something opening where Just Chicken was soon.

Been here 4 years and love it. I was saying when rents started creeping up around the city that Phibsborough would become the next hip area to live a la D8 and Stoneybatter, and ithe evidence is there with Bang Bang Del / Cafe on Leinster St, and a lot more young beardy types (including myself I suppose) mixing with the local moustaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Drumcondra and Glasnevin are both very close by and probably nicer places to live.

I'd agree with that. Just because you work in Fizz-bra, doesn't mean you have to live there. Depends on what floats your boat though... while they (especially Glasnevin) are nicer areas, you can walk into town in 10/15 minutes, from Phibsborough. It's not a walk I'd be doing, late at night, after a feed of pints though. The surrounding areas are more than a bit dodge. Glasnevin and Drumcondra (especially past the canal & the River Tolka) have more of a suburban feel to them, than the gritter, north inner city feel of P'boro. I suppose its about what you are most comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. Just because you work in Fizz-bra, doesn't mean you have to live there. Depends on what floats your boat though... while they (especially Glasnevin) are nicer areas, you can walk into town in 10/15 minutes, from Phibsborough. It's not a walk I'd be doing, late at night, after a feed of pints though. The surrounding areas are more than a bit dodge. Glasnevin and Drumcondra (especially past the canal & the River Tolka) have more of a suburban feel to them, than the gritter, north inner city feel of P'boro. I suppose its about what you are most comfortable with.

I do that walk semi-regularly at night, never had an issue, I don't feel unsafe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

People, he never asked what it was like to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pauly1992

Thanks for all of your replies! I've applied anyway, so fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

My mother always called it Fizzboro. lol

Yeah that's how most people locally call it, the first b is always silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thread title fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roscommmon1980

Rented for a short while near Drumcondra some years ago and yes it is (was) a nice place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's not attractive but by the same token not the worst part of town either, Doyle's pub on the traffic lights attracts a few scummers plus Cabra Park is a hole. Gets better once past the Porterhouse North.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

It's grand, I grew up there, very safe. Shopping centre has been let go in recent years but basically that is because they are waiting on a redevelopment which should start in 2017. With the new dit campus being built, I imagine property prices and indeed rents will rise sharply, having said that, property or rent is not that cheap in Phibsborough now! All in all a good place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I grew up there and got a great education at St Peter's. Hopefully the new developments will re-energise the place and take away some of the awful shop fronts etc. I have family still living there and it's reassuring to see that there are Tidy Towns activities and residents' associations keeping the momentum going . New Luas line is being extended to the top of Connaught Street, so is another amenity for the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I live near Phibsboro, it's a grand enough spot and seems perfectly safe to me. I don't and probably wouldn't live there though as it's a bit grimey. Drumcondra and Glasnevin are close to it and much nicer. Also, I walk and cycle through Phibsboro late at night all the time and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Like some others here i was brought up in Phibsborough .Was abroad and returned to the area from years 2000 till 2002,when i went away again .It always looked grim ,but has some nice parts.The walk from the library down the Royal canal bank ,then through the basin to Blessington street and you are then just 5 minutes walk from O O'Connell street .I used drink in Doyles ,and the Red Windmill Pub .The Phoenix park is within a 10 minute bus ride .If you want posh walk up to Glasnevin and Iona road .The Bothanic Gardens also very near .There was a nice video about Phib .on youtube .Called 24 hours in Phibsborough .Well worth watching .

Advertisement