Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

briany wrote: »
    Hodgexit.

Wexit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ardent wrote: »
    Hodgson has done a Cameron on it!

At least Cameron faced the press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

England sacking Hodgson already lol. Yeah it's NOTHING to do with the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Ireland should study how Iceland defended and kept their shape. They were excellent tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

How does one resign that quick? What's the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He'll be utterly savaged for this, Hodgson, and deservedly so; but at least he was decent enough to walk away. I don't understand the coward accusations. Looks to me like he is accepting responsibility for the defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Step up Gary Neville. He's English and that's all that matters.

Think he's gone as well...........

Some man for one man. Two job losses in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Iceland have won more games in this tournament than England have in the last 2 major tournaments combined. Crazy achievement for them and fully deserved. Delighted for all 300k Icelandics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hello press.

I resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I wonder will he get a lift home on the team coach...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

This is what happens when you put a bottom level premier league manager in charge

Give Pardew the job at least hes cocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He activated article 50 and ran :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

roy hodgson takes over from cameron to over see english exit from eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm taping the highlights on BBC1 just so I can see Linkekers smug face crumpling in sadness whilst Shearer smashes up the studio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As I said, a coward.

Resigns so he doesn't have to answer questions on the failure, leaving it up to the fúcking players.

He doesn't even stay long enough at the press conference to answer one question.

An absolute fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Hopefully Iceland's players have booked the game against France off work! #EURO2016 

Paddy Barnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

How many of the top clubs have an English player that pulls the strings though? Its not the PL's job to look after the England team.

Actually, one of the major premises of the original breakaway was that it would be good for the national team, even necessary. Of course, it was just a big massive lie as the real and only motive was greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The English be like "Close the borders quick, don't let them back in!"

SlickRic wrote: »
    As I said, a coward.

Resigns so he doesn't have to answer questions on the failure, leaving it up to the fúcking players.

He doesn't even stay long enough at the press conference to answer one question.

An absolute fraud.

His contract was up and he's defended the players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

It's hardly been half an hour. That was quick af

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Jesus could he not have changed the "young, hungry and extremely talented bit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Ireland should study how Iceland defended and kept their shape. They were excellent tonight

There's more to be learned from Iceland than just what we saw on the pitch. They revamped their entire structure from top to bottom. Their league clubs even get pretty good transfer fees for players departing abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He'll be utterly savaged for this, Hodgson, and deservedly so; but at least he was decent enough to walk away. I don't understand the coward accusations. Looks to me like he is accepting responsibility for the defeat.

If I was English I'd want to know his thoughts on what went wrong rather than him refusing questions. He was gone either way after the Euros so this resignation was purely a way to avoid questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Kobe248 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you put a bottom level premier league manager in charge

Give Pardew the job at least hes cocky

Big Sam? :);)

Hahahahaah. Hodgson is one deluded fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

ITV, u ok hun? xxx

Just wait till you see Lineker and Shearer :P

Oh God - Eamons onto his "Football is dead" speech. Honestly, we've been hearing this from him since the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I feel kinda bad for helping convince one of the lads in work plump for the eurostar tickets for the next round yesterday before the prices went up. . .

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TBF to Hodgson the longer he leaves the inevitable the more likely the English media destroy's his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The view Dunphy is putting out there that the game isn't as technical as it used to be is just pure bollocks, the players these days are more skilful than they've ever been but it doesn't suit the back in my day bull**** far too many pundits across all sports indulge in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I TV picking the next manager already. Fed up talking about THE BATEN THEY GOT :)

Giggs for England. Make it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

adox wrote: »
    Hello press.

I resign.

If he resigned that quickly with a prepared statement,you'd have to wonder if he threw a few quid on losing the game beforehand...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Wayne Rooney is finished as a player, Ive defended him before but that was utter Sunday League passing. The players should be ashamed of themselves.[/quote]

If my 13 year old passed the ball like that he'd be pulled off the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I am real tired of Dunphy getting maudlin about the great players of the good old days and predicting grim, dark times ahead of joyless football and no one able to do anything special.

There are plenty of young exciting players out there starting to make their mark - Dunphy doesn't recognise them yet, but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So many problems with England. The two cbs can't make a forward pass. The tactics were a joke just throw on as many attacking players as possible and hope for the best. Sturridge rooney kane sterling and alli were dreadful tonight. Rashford made more impact in 5 mins than any of the above. I felt prior to the tournament that the rooney issue would be a problem he isn't one of England's better strikers anymore and is being accommodated in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

England will be trying to get the Icelandic manager...except it would hurt their pride.

Gary Neville quit too

Can't wait for him to critise Wenger next year on sky...

Talking the talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mansize wrote: »
    His contract was up and he's defended the players

Meaningless.

Rooney and the players will have to answer the questions around this while he swans off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SlickRic wrote: »
    As I said, a coward.

An absolute fraud.

With respect, that's nonsense. He didn't resign to avoid questions, he resigned because he failed as manager and with his contract up, it wouldn't have been renewed.

He went out of his way to emphasise the commitment of the players, this wasn't a lay it at the door of the players job, this was a conceited resignation

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Fantastic, I genuinely found that beautifully emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wales are the last home nation standing

We are not a home nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The worst part of all this, we're depending on them to develop the majority of our players. British football and Irish by proxy is on a steady decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sand wrote: »
    I am real tired of Dunphy getting maudlin about the great players of the good old days and predicting grim, dark times ahead of joyless football and no one able to do anything special.

There are plenty of young exciting players out there starting to make their mark - Dunphy doesn't recognise them yet, but they are there.

The more annoying thing is that nobody calls him out on this bull**** for what it is.

France have no match winners.Despite the fact that Payet and Griezmann are exactly the type of players Dunphy says France don't have.

murpho999 wrote: »
    We are not a home nation.

???

No mention of ROI

LOOKING TO TAKE OFFENCE?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Revelling in Joe Harts misery here, what a totally unlikeable person. Only gets the no1 shirt due to the club he plays for and his looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

doncarlos wrote: »
    The worst part of all this, we're depending on them to develop the majority of our players. British football and Irish by proxy is on a steady decline.

We shouldn't be but I'm not starting that now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

jojofizzio wrote: »
    If he resigned that quickly with a prepared statement,you'd have to wonder if he threw a few quid on losing the game beforehand...:cool:
    Well he is Islandic HodjSON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Roy Keane for England manager? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement