Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Pity there's not more interaction between Didi and the others. He great, but he seems to plow his own furrow.

He also seems like a hugely decent human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Rooney should retire.
    Total bum, hes totally finished as a player. Couldnt pass the ball 5 yards or control . Surely United will get rid, its sad at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Calling the Premier League a fraud is a bit harsh considering there are still 50 Premier League players left in this tournament. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

What you saw with Rooney has been a running theme with England sides for donkeys years. Players who become so big that they cant be dropped, even when they're clearly past their prime.

It was the same with the likes of Beckham ten years ago, and Bryan Robson and Kevin Keegan - going back even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

Didi just rolled out a stat on the last time (2010 Matthew upson) England scored from a corner. Dunphy's face was priceless: "check out the big brain on Brad!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

ITV haven't mentioned once that the players just aren't good enough. Nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Iceland bet holland home and away in qualifiers, did they not deserve some respect by the English media. All I heard on the beeb sub for Cardiff, playing for Charlton, the arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ardent wrote: »
    Didi just rolled out a stat on the last time (2010 Matthew upson) England scored from a corner. Dunphy's face was priceless: "check out the big brain on Brad!" :D

That came as a huge shock to Dunphy, who prefers to make up his own facts, like how Balotelli played in the 2010 CL final.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

IMO Rooney has being living on borrowed time for 3-4 years for both club and country (a bit like our own robbie keane)
    LVG is sitting back in amsterdam laughing his arse off saying to himself "How the **** did i convince everybody that Rooney was a midfield player"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The errors that crept into the performance weren't even the issue though.

The problem was that they didn't try to play football. They just hoofed it into the mixer time and again. That's the coaches fault. They've been the same throughout this tournament.

Having 4 strikers on, but not Adam Lallana, a guy who can actually fashion a skillful opening. Allowing Kane (who is terrible at frees) to take all your frees. Those are reasons behind why this happened.

Horrendous management has been by far and away the overriding factor in this tournament for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Dizzie Rascal- excellent trolling RTÉ - HYPE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Roy Keane for England manager? ;)

no, has to be Steve Staunton.

Shteve talking about winning in tournament football on SSN when he couldn't even qualify for Euro 2008 himself. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Some debate as to whether Woy had his statement prepared before the game:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Iceland will win. Their style suits England. England and Rooney will pass the ball around aimlessly for the majority of the game and Iceland will stand off them with comfort. Iceland will score from a set piece.

Nice prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Debil wrote: »
    Some debate as to whether Woy had his statement prepared before the game:)

I was wondering that too as he had several pages with him. Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The errors that crept into the performance weren't even the issue though.

The problem was that they didn't try to play football. They just hoofed it into the mixer time and again. That's the coaches fault. They've been the same throughout this tournament.

Having 4 strikers on, but not Adam Lallana, a guy who can actually fashion a skillful opening. Allowing Kane (who is terrible at frees) to take all your frees. Those are reasons behind why this happened.

Horrendous management has been by far and away the overriding factor in this tournament for England.

What about England under Capello though?

You can't say he was a terrible coach but he could not get much out of England either.

The problem is the players. They are not as good as the hype of the Premier League makes them out to be. But there is an arrogance about them because of the hype of the league on Sky and in the media and their seismic pay packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

martyos121 wrote: »
    That came as a huge shock to Dunphy, who prefers to make up his own facts, like how Balotelli played in the 2010 CL final.

Ah leave him alone, he's excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Essential viewing tonight:

22: 50 pm - MOTD: Uefa Euro 2016 Highlights - BBC 1

1:00 am - Euro 2016 Match Replay - BBC 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not Roys fault, with the exception of wilshere he picked every media darling so they couldnt savage him for selection. The players didn't play well, Rooney grossly out of form on the big stage as usual but too big to be dropped.

Ultimately they played well to a point, about 40 yards from goal. You can't say tactically they got it wrong, they set up like a lot of top teams; difference is most top teams have a decent playmaker whereas England don't no matter how hard Rooney tries (and no1 can knock him for trying to be fair).

Hart, Rooney, Sterling, Alli and Kane need to hold their hands up. Why Milner didn't start and take set pieces is beyond me, Roy is to blame for the set piece mess but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Was on the bench for Inter. I believe he had a few sub appereances that season in the champions league though.

What about England under Capello though?

You can't say he was a terrible coach but he could not get much out of England either.

The problem is the players. They are not as good as the hype of the Premier League makes them out to be. But there is an arrogance about them because of the hype of the league on Sky and in the media and their seismic pay packets.

England under Capello were still light years ahead of this performance.

They had zero organization tonight, and zero game plan.

jive wrote: »
    Ultimately they played well to a point, about 40 yards from goal. You can't say tactically they got it wrong, they set up like a lot of top teams; difference is most top teams have a decent playmaker whereas England don't no matter how hard Rooney tries (and no1 can knock him for trying to be fair).

They played the bulk of their attacking game in the air. That's nothing short of idiocy against a team that thrive on that kind of football. About the only person in their squad who could have fashioned an opening on the ground with a bit of skill remained on the bench. Adam Lallana is no world beater, but this is exactly the type of opposition he looks good against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Based on that photo it looks like he knocks peoples teeth out to give himself more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

IMO Rooney has being living on borrowed time for 3-4 years for both club and country (a bit like our own robbie keane)
    LVG is sitting back in amsterdam laughing his arse off saying to himself "How the **** did i convince everybody that Rooney was a midfield player"

The last really good season rooney had was the year before rvp signed for utd. People argue he was the top scorer in qualifying. Jermain defoe would score as many goals in qualifying as rooney if he was played up front and on pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Total bum, hes totally finished as a player. Couldnt pass the ball 5 yards or control . Surely United will get rid, its sad at this stage

Has to be more than a lack of match fitness must be something going on in his life we aren't hearing about. He's fallen off a cliff as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Iceland bet holland home and away in qualifiers, did they not deserve some respect by the English media. All I heard on the beeb sub for Cardiff, playing for Charlton, the arrogance

Holland had the geniuses Hiddink and Blind as managers during these matches. At home Holland played with 10 for 60 mins as well.

But then again, those 2 matches took care of me not exactly being surprised by what Iceland are doing here.
    Also, a big part of this Iceland qualified for a euro's u21 recently. 8 places only there so you could know they are not all fishermen on an day out anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Was on the bench for Inter. I believe he had a few sub appereances that season in the champions league though.

He wasn't brought on in the final to have an Italian on the field like Eamonn suggested.

Matterazzi was brought on in the last minute of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He just got Balotelli mixed up for Materazzi, not a biggie compared to some of his other faux pas.

• Advertisement

He said he played in the final so that Inter could have an Italian on the pitch at the final whistle. I'm not sure what your point is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Hope Iceland take France out of it for us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

There won't be a polar bear milked in Iceland for a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not enough diagonals into the mixer. You won't win anything if you don't pop it in the mixer.

The view Dunphy is putting out there that the game isn't as technical as it used to be is just pure bollocks, the players these days are more skilful than they've ever been but it doesn't suit the back in my day bull**** far too many pundits across all sports indulge in.

To an extent i can agree with what he says. Look at Holland for example who had a conveyor belt of geniuses right up to the mid noughties. Theyve lost their way. Look at whats happening in Brazil.

Many great individual players around the world but i think the real problem with football is the word i've highlighted. Germany aside there is no real teams full of world class players. Italy while being a brilliant team with a close knit, high spirited group of players, are a far cry from the days of Baggio, Vialli, Maldini and Donadoni. France are building something tbf and Deschamps is a demanding manager but at times they look a little disjointed. Italy or Germany would hold the lead that we had against them and perhaps even add to it.

I'm not convinced by Belgium just yet. I think Italy or Germany would turn them over.

Generally i think Dunphy rants, but there is something valid in what he says here. Look at Argentina last night for example. Full of top class players but not one of them could take the game by the scruff of the neck despite having a man advantage. One of their players then foolishly got himself sent off. They have now lost three consecutive major finals in as many years. They have had the luxury of arguably the best player in world football and one of the most lethal finishers and still dont have anything to show for it

England under Capello were still light years ahead of this performance.

They had zero organization tonight, and zero game plan.

They played the bulk of their attacking game in the air. That's nothing short of idiocy against a team that thrive on that kind of football. About the only person in their squad who could have fashioned an opening on the ground with a bit of skill remained on the bench. Adam Lallana is no world beater, but this is exactly the type of opposition he looks good against.

Lallana got his chance 3 times and blew it 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant wait to hear what Merson has to say about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

He just got Balotelli mixed up for Materazzi, not a biggie compared to some of his other faux pas.

Shure all dem eyetalians louk de same

He's actually been one of their better players this tournament...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Firstly Rooney was beyond dire.

Kane was atrocious.

Sturridge was absymal. Lallana should have been on start of 2nd half.

Hart yet again gives away another howler

Sterling is just not international class yet continued to play.

The team literally self destructed. I've never seen a worse performance in a big tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

This is saying much but I thought Lallana was one of their best players in the group stage. May have been wasteful in front of goal but so were others (who started ahead of him tonight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Have to say it just confirms how bad the Premier league is. Pure scutter.

I'm no Utd fan but Rashford should have been on earlier. Rooney is a beaten docket and Kane was taking set pieces. And is Wilshire a real player ? Has no business anywhere near a pitch.

Hodgson is an idiot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Cant wait to hear what Merson has to say about this

Another useless cheap sound byte pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

England fexit. :(

P.S. Sterling not up to the Euros. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

English players just have zero bottle in general when they put on the white shirt

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rio and the rest was a golden era and they did nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Has to be more than a lack of match fitness must be something going on in his life we aren't hearing about. He's fallen off a cliff as a player.

Started playing regular top flight football at 16/17. After almost fourteen years I suspect his body has finally burned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

What an embarrassing week to be English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

My favorite part of Iceland's 2nd goal is watching Joe Hart punch himself in the head afterwards.

He's actually been one of their better players this tournament...

In that position I disagree. I'd rather have Sturridge and Sterling, Sterling was poor but he offers more than Lallana does on the wing.

To be honest Barkley was hard done by, as was Milner. Lallana was 'alright', as usual.

English players just have zero bottle in general when they put on the white shirt

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rio and the rest was a golden era and they did nothing

That used to be Spain too though. All they need is the right management team and the right mentality to have some success.

Will they though? Nope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement