Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Essential viewing tonight:

22: 50 pm - MOTD: Uefa Euro 2016 Highlights - BBC 1

1:00 am - Euro 2016 Match Replay - BBC 2

Thanks for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

To an extent i can agree with what he says. Look at Holland for example who had a conveyor belt of geniuses right up to the mid noughties. Theyve lost their way. Look at whats happening in Brazil.

Many great individual players around the world but i think the real problem with football is the word i've highlighted. Germany aside there is no real teams full of world class players. Italy while being a brilliant team with a close knit, high spirited group of players, are a far cry from the days of Baggio, Vialli, Maldini and Donadoni. France are building something tbf and Deschamps is a demanding manager but at times they look a little disjointed. Italy or Germany would hold the lead that we had against them and perhaps even add to it.

I'm not convinced by Belgium just yet. I think Italy or Germany would turn them over.

Generally i think Dunphy rants, but there is something valid in what he says here. Look at Argentina last night for example. Full of top class players but not one of them could take the game by the scruff of the neck. They have now lost three consecutive major finals in as many years. They have had the luxury of arguably the best player in world football and one of the most lethal finishers and still dont have anything to show for it

Did that actually happen that often in the past though.

I think nostalgia plays a large role in certain players being over rated.The best thing a player can do for his reputation is to stop playing.

Germany have their best team in terms of talent in along while while Italy are a little lacking,Holland are in a down period whereas this is probably the most talent Belgian team in the last 30 years.Argentina have bucket loads of players with talent, it's the best team Chile have ever had,Uruguay have lots of talent compared to where the were for most of the 90's and 00's

It all balances out I would say and the game is more attack minded these days than it has been for the last 40-50 years or so and there are more creative attacking midfield players in the game now than there ever were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

mansize wrote: »
    Another useless cheap sound byte pundit

Agreed. He'll blame it on the manager or tactics etc.. totally ignoring the fact the players are useless. The delusion in the English media will never end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's all very well for Dunphy to say that the English Premiership is overrated (which it almost certainly is) but it still doesn't excuse that performance from England tonight. It was woeful beyond belief. Rooney was awful, Harry Kane was embarrassing. This England team should be well capable of taking on the likes of Iceland and beating them.
    Iceland might be fairly well organised but they're severely limited otherwise. The French must be licking their lips in anticipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

martyos121 wrote: »
    That used to be Spain too though. All they need is the right management team and the right mentality to have some success.

Will they though? Nope.

Spain completely overhauled their entire footballing culture. You wouldn't recognise some of the Spanish international sides of the 80's and early 90's Very physical and little finesse.

Cruyff was a godsend to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

ebbsy wrote: »
    Have to say it just confirms how bad the Premier league is. Pure scutter.

I'm no Utd fan but Rashford should have been on earlier. Rooney is a beaten docket and Kane was taking set pieces. And is Wilshire a real player ? Has no business anywhere near a pitch.

Hodgson is an idiot as well.

It really doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Highlights just about to start on BBC 1. TVPlayer stream here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jive wrote: »
    In that position I disagree. I'd rather have Sturridge and Sterling, Sterling was poor but he offers more than Lallana does on the wing.

To be honest Barkley was hard done by, as was Milner. Lallana was 'alright', as usual.

They offer completely different things - but I don't have a problem with him not starting - not bringing him on for the last 30 minutes in the position they were in is insane. Lallana's issue is that he only has 50 to 60 minutes in his legs. Give him 30 at the end, he'll run himself into the ground, and be a cool head to actually pass and move, which is exactly what they needed. Instead they stuck with stonehenge football.

At almost no point did anyone try to carry the ball into Icelands box and play a little one-two. The closest they managed was Sterling or Rashford sprinting in at a thousand miles an hour, out of control.

This was a game where they needed to let the ball do the work, and take advantage of the fact that they're on a different level technically than those defenders. It was tailor made for Lallana to come on, rather than smashing high balls into 4 strikers over and over and over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spain completely overhauled their entire footballing culture. You wouldn't recognise some of the Spanish international sides of the 80's and early 90's Very physical and little finesse.

Cruyff was a godsend to them.

But even up to 2006 their national team was bottling it. Some things changed shortly after, some of which are obvious but others not so much. England need to make changes to succeed, the problem is that they probably haven't a clue which ones will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It really doesn't.

Yeah I don't get what this has to do with the PL. Bayern, Real and Barca are widely regarded as the 3 best teams (sorry atletico). Zero English players because, unfortunately for them, they're not good enough. The PL being advertised as the best league has nothing to do with English players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Lackey wrote: »

If my 13 year old passed the ball like that he'd be pulled off the pitch

And the fraud is on £300k a week! The whole thing is a sick disgrace at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And the fraud is on £300k a week! The whole thing is a sick disgrace at this stage

Sterling is on £150,000....THAT is also disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hope Iceland do the french too would have been great to see Ireland vs Iceland in quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Honestly i'm not surprised, England have no world class players, they have struggled through the entire competition failing to beat Russia and Slovakia, Iceland were a well organised hard working team with spirit, Englands arrogance once again, thinking Iceland was a gimme all the talk was of a QF against France, even at HT loosing the game and Ferdinand says should Hart be dropped for the QF. England always making the mistake that just because guys are on big wages doesn't mean there all that good, They do not play as a team the way the top sides do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Not Roys fault, with the exception of wilshere he picked every media darling so they couldnt savage him for selection.

That is Hodgsons fault. He should pick the players he thinks are best and not what some trash tabloid wants.

Aime Jacquet got serious stick off the French press before the WC in 98, he did his own thing and went out and won.

Klinsmann got stick in the 2 years before WC 2006 but did his own thing and he got to the semi finals.

Desperate show by a manager that at £4 million a year he can't show that courage.

That used to be Spain too though. All they need is the right management team and the right mentality to have some success.

Will they though? Nope.

Ah will ya stop. Spain have always had top players technically. Who's the last technically brilliant player England have had? Gazza I would say but he was mentally unstable. The problem is the players and always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

MOTD starting rubs hands together :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

England players are frantically googling "what happens if we loose a knockout match?"

But even up to 2006 their national team was bottling it. Some things changed shortly after, some of which are obvious but others not so much. England need to make changes to succeed, the problem is that they probably haven't a clue which ones will work.

That's how long it took for the changes to bear fruit with the more technically gifted generation coming through. Spain altered their footballing philosophy to reflect what Cruyff had done with Barcelona. They adopted the total football mantra.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They offer completely different things - but I don't have a problem with him not starting - not bringing him on for the last 30 minutes in the position they were in is insane. Lallana's issue is that he only has 50 to 60 minutes in his legs. Give him 30 at the end, he'll run himself into the ground, and be a cool head to actually pass and move, which is exactly what they needed. Instead they stuck with stonehenge football.

At almost no point did anyone try to carry the ball into Icelands box and play a little one-two. The closest they managed was Sterling or Rashford sprinting in at a thousand miles an hour, out of control.

This was a game where they needed to let the ball do the work, and take advantage of the fact that they're on a different level technically than those defenders. It was tailor made for Lallana to come on, rather than smashing high balls into 4 strikers over and over and over and over again.

Hahah rashford sprinting out of control summed up his 5 mins. Agreed on what he offers but didnt deserve a start imo, 2 explosive players in the position Roy wanted him.

To be honest, Rooney should have been dropped. He looks nice on the ball but he rarely actually does anything of note with the ball; a loopy switch across the pitch looks great and all but it's just so pointless when he plays them so slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lineker straight in with spoilers ffs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Yeah I don't get what this has to do with the PL. Bayern, Real and Barca are widely regarded as the 3 best teams (sorry atletico). Zero English players because, unfortunately for them, they're not good enough. The PL being advertised as the best league has nothing to do with English players.

It's a very easy and trendy line to come out with after an English team fails, and it usually get's a lot of support around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MOTD: looks like someone died going by their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hilights are on, oh yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's all very well for Dunphy to say that the English Premiership is overrated (which it almost certainly is) but it still doesn't excuse that performance from England tonight. It was woeful beyond belief. Rooney was awful, Harry Kane was embarrassing. This England team should be well capable of taking on the likes of Iceland and beating them.
    Iceland might be fairly well organised but they're severely limited otherwise. The French must be licking their lips in anticipation.

Agree totally.

England's players, to a man, can play much better than that.

I was thinking in the first half, they reminded me of Chelsea when they hated that Portugese eejit this season. Walking around looking like every pass was a big effort they didn't want to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

2 seconds in, the MOTD commentator: 'England expects. And should.'

It's already good.

Red Kev wrote: »
    That is Hodgsons fault. He should pick the players he thinks are best and not what some trash tabloid wants.

Aime Jacquet got serious stick off the French press before the WC in 98, he did his own thing and went out and won.

Klinsmann got stick in the 2 years before WC 2006 but did his own thing and he got to the semi finals.

Desperate show by a manager that at £4 million a year he can't show that courage.

Agreed BUT I can see many reasons why he would bow to the media. Easy to lose the group when you have the personalities in the team that they have. He did it in South Africa too, the flavours of the month choices didn't go too well there either.

It's Martin Keown. This should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Ah will ya stop. Spain have always had top players technically. Who's the last technically brilliant player England have had? Gazza I would say but he was mentally unstable. The problem is the players and always has been.

No I won't stop, you're completely missing the point of what I said. I'm not standing up for any English player, I'm saying they need to change things from the bottom up before backing themselves to win anything. Spain underperformed far worse than England did for many years when you look st the absolute quality they had, they were doing nothing, a group stage team. Changes were made post-2006 WC and it's started them on a road to success. Obviously that road would be longer for England given their lack of quality but they can improve at least. They've gone backwards under Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hope Iceland do the french too would have been great to see Ireland vs Iceland in quarter final.

Nah. How could you shout against Iceland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I like Dunphy. He can ramble and pick on people but he is insightful and has a more worldly view than a lot of past players have.

The thing about these tournaments is that there is generally very little between teams in the scorelines - even between top teams and minnows - the odd goal or two. Has the Ire Belg game being the biggest scoreline along with Belg Hungary (2 goals in last few mins)?

Many teams score and then put 8 players in front of the box. Very difficult to break that down.

Some teams are great tournament teams - Germany and Italy especially while others like France and England don't seem to have the team spirit and organisation.

Saying all that there just isn't a star player in that team. I said on another thread that Vardy was probably their best player and after tonight nobody else looked better. Says it all really.

No I won't stop, you're completely missing the point of what I said. I'm not standing up for any English player, I'm saying they need to change things from the bottom up before backing themselves to win anything. Spain underperformed far worse than England did for many years when you look st the absolute quality they had, they were doing nothing, a group stage team. Changes were made post-2006 WC and it's started them on a road to success. Obviously that road would be longer for England given their lack of quality but they can improve at least. They've gone backwards under Roy.

No problem picked you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Welsh team celebrating Iceland's win:

https://twitter.com/BetBright/status/747549975819747331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Has to be more than a lack of match fitness must be something going on in his life we aren't hearing about. He's fallen off a cliff as a player.

Hes only 30 and hes already finished. And yet he takes in £300k a week cannot pass a football 5 yards or control, its sad it really is.

He was once a great player at least he can hold onto that. Clowns like Harry Kane, Sturridge and Sterling have never been anything other than hyped up Premier League frauds. Its no surprise Sterling was a millionaire driving around a Range Rover before he was even 18. Arrogant he thought he already made it and was a big man , he has nothing only athleticism

Lads like Sterling dont give 2 ****s, hes already set for life and has had it easy from the start. Then you get journeymen bums like Iceland playing as if their lives depended on it, while he stands around scratching himself. Whole things ridiculous to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Could have had Iceland for a shot at the Semi's :( Ah its the dreams that kill ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hes only 30 and hes already finished. And yet he takes in £300k a week cannot pass a football 5 yards or control, its sad it really is.

He was once a great player at least he can hold onto that. Clowns like Harry Kane, Sturridge and Sterling have never been anything other than hyped up Premier League frauds. Its no surprise Sterling was a millionaire driving around a Range Rover before he was even 18. Arrogant he thought he already made it and was a big man , he has nothing only athleticism

Lads like Sterling dont give 2 ****s, hes already set for life and has had it easy from the start. Then you get journeymen bums like Iceland playing as if their lives depended on it, while he stands around scratching himself. Whole things ridiculous to see

**** man who pissed in your corn flakes. Rooney was a great player but he is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Could have had Iceland for a shot at the Semi's :( Ah its the dreams that kill ye.

Or could have beaten Sweden in the first game and been on the other side of the draw Or could have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

THAT is TV Gold!

The ref blessing himself at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The ref blessing himself at the end.

Yeah, what was that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Best clip ever :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

England embarrassed and humiliated. Say's it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Akrasia wrote: »
    Yeah, what was that about?

Praying for his safe return home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah don't!

Spoiling the evening you are!

Fair ****s to Joe Hart. Came out and held his hands up(pun intended)about his two big errors in the tournament.

It does seem very strange that Roy wouldn't take any questions and has left it to his players to explain the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Shearer pulling no punches in even his first sentence!

Shearer speaking some home truths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Shearer ripping them a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ha Gary Lineker just said 'Congratulations to Ireland.'

Sh*t, he was reading Boards! :pac:

Advertisement