Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

You've been saying this all night. It's childish and just blatantly untrue.
    It's not untrue though, he was shocking in the second half. He gave the ball away lots of times through sloppy passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its hardly fair to point the blame at Wilshere on BBC and ignore the elephant in the room that was Rooney. On 300k and captain of the worst, most gutless England display of all time. A washed up finished Wayne Rooney converted from striker to deep playmaker, unable to control the football or pass 5 yards, getting bossed around the field by Icelandic fishermen.

Great post. Rooney was total toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Ardent wrote: »
    Two elephants in the room during that MOTD post mortem:

Rooney. I guess with Ferdinand there it would be too awkward.

The quality of the Premier League. Shearer touched on it but Lineker - with panicked shouting in his ear piece no doubt - quickly swept it under the carpet.

And rightly so, as it's not really relevant to this individual game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The problem with Rooney in midfield is a near endless stream of lofted passes that only angle left or right. To be fair to him they invariably find the intended target - but they do no damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bit like David Cameron, couldnt face the music so went into hiding ASAP and leave others to deal with the mess

Ah not quite to be fair.. Cameron did his "press conference" today in the form of leaders questions and is staying on until a replacement is appointed (possibly by early September now)

He didn't just do this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

mansize wrote: »

It's good to see a well thought out balanced and independent view .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

England have won 6 games in 18 tournaments. Course it's the managers that are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

England desperately need somebody with the passion of Shearer. The FA almost always pick a safe manager - somebody who won't rock the boat and who'll blow smoke up the arse of some of their most pampered players.
    If England want to get out of this prolonged slump, the FA need to pick somebody like Shearer but they're most likely to pick another safe manager, and Gareth Southgate is the most obvious candidate :rolleyes:

Form is temporary. They needed Milner, Henderson, Barkley , Lallana out there. Not Alli , Dier ,Sterling, and Rashford.
    That England team tonight had wrong people in it for a knockout game. Team had too many players who had a few decent games for their clubs so they end up in England team. CRAZY
    Like of Milner and Henderson Barkley and Lallana on bench, they got them there FFS.

Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? England squads have often been criticised for including the big club players and "old reliables" at the expense of in form and arguably better players. Had they played tonight with Milner, Henderson, Barkley and Lallana, they would probably still have lost and people (yourself included) would probably be asking why these players were selected ahead of the likes of Dier and Alli and Kane.

mansize wrote: »

"Peter Crouch talking about "the pressure" making them be useless. They're paid £150k a week you lanky ponce!"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

And rightly so, as it's not really relevant to this individual game.
    It has everything to do with this game and any other game England compete in.

Richie is dead right here - The Sun is beyond contempt :mad: What a scummy paper!

https://twitter.com/RichieSadlier/status/747561726359502852

It's not untrue though, he was shocking in the second half. He gave the ball away lots of times through sloppy passing.

It is untrue. if you rewatch the match you will find countless examples of Rooney controlling the ball and successfully passing it 5 yards or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    England have won 6 games in 18 tournaments. Course it's the managers that are the problem.

That's horse****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just when you thought the S*n couldn't get any scummier...Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If Glenn Hoddle had not made those controversial comments back in 1998, he would have maximised their potential. The players liked him, for the most part, and they were a strong side.

Harry Redknapp must be fuming..... A few years too late for him.

They should aim for a Löw or a Klinsmann

ON BENCH !
    • 4Milner
    • 8Lallana
    • 11Vardy
    • 12Clyne
    • 13Forster
    • 14Henderson
    • 16Stones
    • 19Barkley

ON PITCH

• Hart
    • 2Walker
    • 5Cahill
    • 3Rose
    • 20Alli
    • 17Dier
    • Sterling
    • Wilshere

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Something slightly ironic about the free beer at Iceland promo

It has everything to do with this game and any other game England compete in.

It doesn't really. Plenty of premier league players still in the competition. Plenty of La Liga players knocked out today and Saturday. This is international football now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Well I'll be the first to admit I didn't see that coming. It's mad isn't it! Gutless is the only way I could describe England. They are a collection of talented individuals rather than a team and It looked as though they were already planning for the France game. The football365 mailbox is going to be epic over the next few days :)

And Lol at that mcclaren clip.

Just when you thought the S*n couldn't get any scummier...Jesus.

That paper needs to be closed the fúck down. A horrible despicable blight on society. Their recent front page the day after Ali died was no better. :mad:

Vile and toxic.:mad: Microcosmic perhaps of what is wrong with greater English society?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If Glenn Hoddle had not made those controversial comments back in 1998, he would have maximised their potential. The players liked him, for the most part, and they were a strong side.

Redknapp would be the tactical equivalent of Keegan. Not up to the standard at all. The biggest mistake the FA ever made was letting Venables go.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Well I'll be the first to admit I didn't see that coming. It's mad isn't it! Gutless is the only way I could describe England. They are a collection of talented individuals rather than a team and It looked as though they were already planning for the France game. The football365 mailbox is going to be epic over the next few days :)

And Lol at that mcclaren clip.

The Wally with the brolly - He is such an absolute pleb. its crazy how any manager would want that English job though. They are a basket case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

England aren't a team, they're a bunch of individual highly egotistical players who don't know one another or understand one another or have any real interest in one another.
    They have no real interest in they're fans or collective national pride.
    If you tried to elicit some sympathy out of Jack Wilshere tonight for a fan who saved and scrimped for 4 years to afford to go to this tournament you would be wasting your time
    He just cares about his life his family and his bank balance
    If you compare Wilshere and Sterling to the likes of Bryan Robson and Stuart Pearce it really is startling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ah stop. They were on a slippery slope when he got the bullet. They'd underachieved in the World Cup and lost to Sweden in a Euro qualifier.

However, England's distrust and misuse of players like Hoddle, Scholes and Carrick is part of their problem.

• Advertisement

That paper needs to be closed the fúck down. A horrible despicable blight on society. Their recent front page the day after Ali died was no better. :mad:

Vile and toxic.:mad: Microcosmic perhaps of what is wrong with greater English society?

I think so, they write headlines/articles that are appealing to a certain profile of person and there's quite a few million of them of them in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ON BENCH !
    • 4Milner
    • 8Lallana
    • 11Vardy
    • 12Clyne
    • 13Forster
    • 14Henderson
    • 16Stones
    • 19Barkley

ON PITCH

• Hart
    • 2Walker
    • 5Cahill
    • 3Rose
    • 20Alli
    • 17Dier
    • Sterling
    • Wilshere

WTF

What the hell are you on about? For starters, Ross Barkley has been absolutely shocking for the majority of the season for Everton.

After the referendum result this week, I would very much agree.

England aren't a team, they're a bunch of individual highly egotistical players who don't know one another or understand one another or have any real interest in one another.
    If you tried to elicit some sympathy out of Jack Wilshere tonight for a fan who saved and scrimped for 4 years to afford to go to this tournament you would be wasting your time
    If you compare Wilshere and Sterling to the likes of Bryan Robson and Stuart Pearce it really is startling

Like pretty much every human then. You must know the man personally to write a post like this surely? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

It doesn't really. Plenty of premier league players still in the competition. Plenty of La Liga players knocked out today and Saturday. This is international football now.
    Name the top 10 players in the Premier League and tell me how many of them are English? How often do Spain bomb out early from international tournaments?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

LorMal wrote: »
    Nonsense. If he could play for Ireland we would roll out the red carpet.
    You must be United fan

I would be disgusted if Glen Whelan played like that tonight, because even though Whelan is a totally limited plodder he can control the ball and actually pass the ball 5 yards especially with space.

Rooney was a total utter embarrassment tonight. Ive never ever seen him or England play as bad in my entire life, you would think he was being paid off. It says it all about United nevermind England these days that he is still the main man. Is it any wonder a team of Leicester journeymen won the Premier League last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

They should aim for a Löw....

I think they hit one tonight.

Name the top 10 players in the Premier League and tell me how many of them are English?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

mnEgV9n.png?1

siblers wrote: »
    I think so, they write headlines/articles that are appealing to a certain profile of person and there's quite a few million of them of them in England.

Has to be said ive met some of the nicest people from England in my time. There is a big English community around the local parishes here in Tipperary. By and large, most are sound out, but there is the 'Ronnie Pickering, hit first-think later' element amongst a few. Very confrontational, mountain out of a molehill and quite thick type of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's good to see a well thought out balanced and independent view .

what a classic line

" Oh we are getting Glenn Hoddle's reaction now. Next up the reaction of a paving stone in Blackpool."

DeanAustin wrote: »
    However, England's distrust and misuse of players like Hoddle, Scholes and Carrick is part of their problem.

I think I've spotted the red herring of that list.

I think I've spotted the red herring of that list.

Do tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mr. Farage wrote: »

In fairness, your facts aren't to be trusted Mr Farage. Could have been 350 million goals a week, according to your record...

nEED TO PLAY THIS AT 1.5 SPEED , MUCH BETTER RANT .

• Advertisement

what a classic line

" Oh we are getting Glenn Hoddle's reaction now. Next up the reaction of a paving stone in Blackpool."

From what i heard of Hoddle he is not a great people person. He wouldnt pick Ray Parlour over an extremely harmless joke he made to Eileen Drewery (Short, back and sides please Eileen).

Cascarino, le Tiss, and Gary Neville have all said in their respective autobiographies that he has absolutely no people skills but all did make the point that he had a brilliant football brain and was very tactically intelligent.

The best coach that England have had in recent years was Bobby Robson. He was a real gent, knew how to get the best out of players, was media savvy, and very very intelligent. Wasnt afraid to learn on the continent either

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Do tell?

And spoil it for everyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Sterling was a millionair in a Range Rover at 17, billy big bollocks. Take away his pace and what do you have ? Nothing, a total fraud and hes on what, £150k a week? Its just sick really. The fans are totally mugged off.

Then you get these Icelandic journeymen, a real nothing side playing as if their lives depended on it. Its night and day really, the money has killed football off

The worst thing about the popularity of the internet is that total dicks like this get the oxygen to go off on a rant trying to pass themselves off as knowledgeable passionate fans.......but failing horrendously.

From what i heard of Hoddle he is not a great people person. He wouldnt pick Ray Parlour over an extremely harmless joke he made to Eileen Drewery (Short, back and sides please Eileen).

Cascarino, le Tiss, and Gary Neville have all said in their respective autobiographies that he has absolutely no people skills but all did make the point that he had a brilliant football brain and was very tactically intelligent.

The best coach that England have had in recent years was Bobby Robson. He was a real gent, knew how to get the best out of players, was media savvy, and very very intelligent. Wasnt afraid to learn on the continent either

The man got unbelievable abuse during Euro 88 and the early stages of Italia 90. To be fair Euro 88 was a complete disaster.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All the annoyance about Barkley getting 0 minutes, do they not realise that Barkley is sh!t aswell?

I still don't understand why Wilshere came on for Dier and I don't even know why Dier started, I know he scored against Russia and all but he doesn't seem to offer much. Henderson or Milner should have been given more of a chance. It must be incredibly frustrating for English fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Brilliant........" what the fook Joe Hart, had he got fookin Shampoo all over his hands fro thet second goal"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

awec wrote: »
    All the annoyance about Barkley getting 0 minutes, do they not realise that Barkley is sh!t aswell?

2 years from now him and Stones will be the next ones on the bonfire.

• Advertisement

The worst thing about the popularity of the internet is that total dicks like this get the oxygen to go off on a rant trying to pass themselves off as knowledgeable passionate fans.......but failing horrendously.

It's funny to see though. Maybe when he's 80 he can look back at it LOL .

Advertisement