Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

awec wrote: »
    All the annoyance about Barkley getting 0 minutes, do they not realise that Barkley is sh!t aswell?

Barkley is smart player. He keeps it well .Plays short , runs at people.
    Too many long balls tonight.
    Best team was on bench by far. I mean do people realize the 11 players in that England team tonight, it was like a poor friendly game team .
    No steel or experience .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

awec wrote: »
    All the annoyance about Barkley getting 0 minutes, do they not realise that Barkley is sh!t aswell?

Hey, keep throwing new players in there until one of them does the trick. If Barkley is too poor to consider playing to replace first teamers who are having a mare, then he shouldn't be in the squad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Alan Smith on Sky Sports saying it was 100% down to the pressure, same old bull**** from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm still in shock

Wow man it must be some feeling to be from Iceland tonight. Well done to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    ITV haven't mentioned once that the players just aren't good enough. Nothing will ever change.

Maybe not good enough to win the tournament but there surely good enough to beat Iceland to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

siblers wrote: »
    Alan Smith on Sky Sports saying it was 100% down to the pressure, same old bull**** from him.

Figures. Smith is in the employ of Sky, and any slight of England could be seen as a slight of the Premier League itself.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The man got unbelievable abuse during Euro 88 and the early stages of Italia 90. To be fair Euro 88 was a complete disaster.

The Euros were probably tougher under that 8 team format. Ourselves, Holland, and USSR all had quite good teams. He got to a world cup semi final can consider himself unlucky that they didn't qualify for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

siblers wrote: »
    Sky Sports part of the problem, their money and bull**** destroyed the English game. They will never allow their employees to question the Premier League money spinner. Its like a cult at this stage.

Look at Rooney and Sterling tonight. Paid nearly Half a million Pounds a week and these dummies cant control or pass a football? Or even pretend to give 2 ****s? Sturridge and Kane the same.

The whole thing is a con, its like a high end form of stealing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

If England finally want to win something they need to stop bringing geriatric forwards and playing them in midfield, JW did not have enough game time all season with injury he should not have been there. Neither should Sturridge , spent too much time resting or recovering all season. English premier teams are flooded with foreign players in most of the key positions which only weakens there national side. Pretty sure they have not learned a thing from this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sky Sports part of the problem, their money and bull**** destroyed the English game. They will never allow their employees to question the Premier League money spinner. Its like a cult at this stage.

Look at Rooney and Sterling tonight. Paid nearly Half a million Pounds a week and these dummies cant control or pass a football? Or even pretend to give 2 ****s? Sturridge and Kane the same.

You keep on about the money. It's not their fault they are paid so much. That life. Get on with it. They are the elite and you and me are nobody's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Barkley is smart player. He keeps it well .Plays short , runs at people.
    Too many long balls tonight.
    Best team was on bench by far. I mean do people realize the 11 players in that England team tonight, it was like a poor friendly game team .
    No steel or experience .

The Monday morning quarter back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm still in shock

Wow man it must be some feeling to be from Iceland tonight. Well done to them

ABsolutely. With all the talk of the English performance, and of course Hodgson resembling a dog been shown a card trick, Iceland's performce is being somewhat over looked. They were excellent and fully deserving of their place in the last eight. I doubt France will approach the game lightly

Milner was probably a top 5 english player in league last year.

Milner was probably a top 5 english player in league last year.

In no particular order: Alli, Dier, Kane, Vardy, Drinkwater, Defoe, Simpson, Walker, Rose, Smalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Revelling in Joe Harts misery here, what a totally unlikeable person. Only gets the no1 shirt due to the club he plays for and his looks.

Why is he unlikeable?! I don't get this. I have found him to be quite likeable actually. Speaks well in interviews and seems down to earth. Of course he's going to be cocky on the pitch, it's what goalkeepers need and strive on. Yes, a bad Euros for him this year, but he's clearly still Englands best keeper and had a great season last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

niallo27 wrote: »
    You keep on about the money. It's not their fault they are paid so much. That life. Get on with it. They are the elite and you and me are nobody's
    The Elite my hole! Away back to Anfield with you and give Sturridge, Sterling , Lallana and Henderson your money while they laugh at you in the dressing room. These dummies are nothing but frauds, its sad you have such a low opinion of yourself to call yourself a nobody! I know one thing I wouldnt put in a gutless cowardly display like these lads did tonight

The problem with English football goes back beyond the premier league years although at least they used to go down with a fight in the 80's and 90's.
    Brian Clough once said that one quick way to destroy an excellent natural footballler was to send him to Lilleshall. Howard Wilkinson who many including Gary Neville said didn't have an iota was a technical director with the FA.

The premier league didnt help England in a sense that it made it harder for young English players to get picked but I would think that the problem stems from grass roots. England have no template or no identity on how to play football. there is no collective thinking and the whole setup is driven by the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The Elite my hole! Away back to Anfield with you and give Sturridge, Sterling , Lallana and Henderson your money while they laugh at you in the dressing room. These dummies are nothing but frauds, its sad you have such a low opinion of yourself to call yourself a nobody! I know one thing I wouldnt put in a gutless cowardly display like these lads did tonight

You would have tried your heart I am sure and have got beat 20 nil. Do you think you are anywhere near the standard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

niallo27 wrote: »

The oddest comment I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It is, but come next August everybody will be eagerly tuning into the start of the biggest and bestest league in the universe .

• Advertisement

They should beat Iceland but none of those players would get close to the continents big 3(Real Madrid, Barca and Bayern)

Hart could challenge Bayerns deputy Ulmich(sp?) but he is a great keeper so I'm not sure tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I wouldn't be Barkley's biggest fan as he can flatter to deceive in matches, but he would have injected much needed actual ability on the ball tonight. Alli was so slow on the ball tonight and International football has caught up with him quite a bit, as to be expected with his age. Barkley is a pretty decent footballer and it's amazing he didn't get any time out there tonight, am I right in saying he didn't play at all in the tournament?

It clearly was not working with the team he picked and Wilshere was almost invisible when he came on. Barkley would have been a lot more influential imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Today goes into my days of football to remember and savour. Right next to the cracker that was mkdons v man utd.

I've been getting a lot of stick from an Englander at work because Scotland didn't make it. Roll on tomorrow! :)

HART-He is a weakness for City and goalkeeper is a position where everyone says City must improve. The manager isn't to blame for Hart making numerous mistakes, his only error is not dropping him.
    Walker-Alright, not great but decent, hard to judge.
    Cahill/Smalling-They are so far off the required calibre of central defenders needed
    Rose-Average
    Dier-Young, I don't think he's really the required standard
    Alli-Young and terrible in this tournament.
    Rooney-Not a midfielder. He just sprays it out left and right for no reason. He is a smart player but not intelligent enough for the position.
    Sterling-Not good at all.
    Sturridge-Excellent
    Kane-Unproven at the very top

It is no surprise when a slightly above average team with no cohesion comes up against a team with harmony and balance and comes undone. Its only a shock because we watch English football. These players are nobodies when compared to the mid 2000 England team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sky Sports part of the problem, their money and bull**** destroyed the English game.

You can't have it both ways.
    Their money has raised the global profile of the Premier League and football in general over the last 25 years and allows the best players in the world to come to England to play, making it the most exciting league in the world.
    Sterling was a millionair in a Range Rover at 17, billy big bollocks. Take away his pace and what do you have ? Nothing, a total fraud and hes on what, £150k a week? Its just sick really. The fans are totally mugged off.

Remember, this is your little backseat driver, armchair manager, not worth anything opinion.
    He got to where he is not by fluke or chance, but because he has talent.
    I really dislike Sterling, I hate that he gets 150k a week, I love Guardiola and would be happy to see him move Sterling on....but to say he has nothing...a total Fraud....is such drivel.
    He didn't have a good tournament, and hasn't been on form for a bit in the premiership, but get out of this hive-mind circlejerk about him being a fraud. Some people just want to sound like Eamonn Dunphy on here.
    The kid is 21, he will still only continue to get better.
    Just to reiterate....I don't like Sterling whatsoever, but I dislike idiotic comments more.
    These dummies are nothing but frauds, its sad you have such a low opinion of yourself to call yourself a nobody! I know one thing I wouldnt put in a gutless cowardly display like these lads did tonight
    Here we go again with Frauds, you sound like tape recorders for Eamonn Dunphy.
    They didn't show up, they didn't perform well...it happens to many teams.
    I guess this makes our Irish team from 4 years ago a bunch of frauds, I guess against Belgium we were a bunch of Frauds ?

Cant say I am shocked by that result tonight .
    Hodgson should have been firm and dropped Rooney ,the guy has been toxic for the last season and he has been on a downward spiral for the last 3-4 years.
    Ferguson wanted to offload him in 2013 ,he knew that Rooney was finished.

Instead Hodgson shoehorns him into the team in midfield ,a position he was given adequate time to perform in for Manchester Utd this season and failed abysmally for Utd .
    Rooney recovering from injury was the worst thing that could possibly happen the squad ,they were doing fine without him.

To accommodate Rooney ,Hodgson then shifts Alli into an advanced role ,one alien to him and sticks Sturridge ,a very one footed left sided striker onto the right and Sterling a very one footed right hand sided player on the left.
    He uses Jack Wilshere ,a guy with glass legs as a holding midfielder ,a player who barely played this season.

Why was Kane taking corners ? WTF

Walker and Rose were both exposed badly,they are decent going forward but cant defend ,defensively that back 4 is the worst English back 4 in 30 years ,and you stick a midget Wilshere in as a holding midfielder ,its laughable stuff.

There are promising players in the team but they are young and inexperienced at international level ,and tonight they seemed to freeze in the headlights.

Technically the English players are nowhere near good enough for the money they are paid ,that's for sure .
    They have been mollycoddled for too long ,due to the crazy money in the English game ,a situation that is probably only going to get worse with the increased tv money rights.

Why do people think Rooney is some sort of deep lying playmaker? I mean he can obviously pass the ball well but who the **** told him he was some sort of Toni Kroos type player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Mec27 wrote: »
    Why do people think Rooney is some sort of deep lying playmaker? I mean he can obviously pass the ball well but who the **** told him he was some sort of Toni Kroos type player?

He did.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    He got to where he is not by fluke or chance, but because he has talent.

I'd argue he got to where he was largely on the brilliant coat tails of Luis Suarez and Sturridge .
    They made him look alot better than he actually was at Liverpool .

It will be interesting to see what Guardiola does with him ,one thing is for sure his attitude better improve drastically or he will be offloaded pretty quickly.

I think alot of people thought it was a role he could adapt to as he got older ,myself included ,but unfortunately he has been a huge disappointment in midfield.

He doesn't have the right range of passing for midfield ,he plays far too many hollywood balls ,and not enough give and go short passes .He doesn't seem to make himself available for one twos either.
    Its either too safe or too impatient passing .

• Advertisement

Should replay the game, only fair .

I'd argue he got to where he was largely on the brilliant coat tails of Luis Suarez and Sturridge .
    They made him look alot better than he actually was at Liverpool .

It will be interesting to see what Guardiola does with him ,one thing is for sure his attitude better improve drastically or he will be offloaded pretty quickly.

I think alot of people thought it was a role he could adapt to as he got older ,myself included ,but unfortunately he has been a huge disappointment in midfield.

He doesn't have the right range of passing for midfield ,he plays far too many hollywood balls ,and not enough give and go short passes .He doesn't seem to make himself available for one twos either.
    Its either too safe or too impatient passing .

He'll still probably go down as one of the top 3 English footballers of all time.No world cup means he will never be considered the best.

He'll still probably go down as one of the top 3 English footballers of all time.No world cup means he will never be considered the best.

I wouldnt even put him in the top 10 to be honest.
    Good player but never developed his potential and did very little in tournament football.

I'd have Charlton, Banks,Greaves ,Robson,Moore,Lineker,Finney,Shearer ,Matthews ,all ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

England have to face facts, when you have a team that consists of Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Rooney, Alli, Smalling, Sterling...you're just not going to beat the likes of Iceland. *

*Thinly veiled..."Ireland don't have the players to compete" rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Linesman Eyebrows to Vardy LOL :)

Noticed that, hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Premier League and the English league system can't be blamed. Welsh players are also from this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

As regards new management, they should spend whatever is necessary to bring in a top coach, probably foreign and preferably under sixty, so we don't have to wonder whether or not it's the players' fault next time. The last twenty minutes were utterly lacking in structure or leadership - hard to imagine these players belong to one of the world's best leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Has the lack of a winter break been mentioned yet.

That usually gets brought out as an excuse every time England fail at a tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Form is temporary. They needed Milner, Henderson, Barkley , Lallana out there. Not Alli , Dier ,Sterling, and Rashford.
    That England team tonight had wrong people in it for a knockout game. Team had too many players who had a few decent games for their clubs so they end up in England team. CRAZY
    Like of Milner and Henderson Barkley and Lallana on bench, they got them there FFS.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think Alli was well worth a place in that team. He earned it this season. He had a bad tournament, but to say he shouldn't have been in the team is wrong imo. Kane is the same; they were excellent for Spurs.

However, as per usual there are players in that England team that did not earn a place this year. Rooney, Sterling and Wilshere did not earn a place in that team and the team was actually tailored to shoe horn Rooney and Sterling into it.

Imagine how disheartening it is for the other players to see Wilshere brought on to turn things around when he hasn't played a full game since 2014. How little trust must Roy have in the other squad members?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That usually gets brought out as an excuse every time England fail at a tournament.

It was mentioned by the presenter on ITV last night actually. To be fair the panel just dismissed it as an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

You must be United fan

I would be disgusted if Glen Whelan played like that tonight, because even though Whelan is a totally limited plodder he can control the ball and actually pass the ball 5 yards especially with space.

Rooney was a total utter embarrassment tonight. Ive never ever seen him or England play as bad in my entire life, you would think he was being paid off. It says it all about United nevermind England these days that he is still the main man. Is it any wonder a team of Leicester journeymen won the Premier League last season?

What an idiotic reply. Are you seriously telling me that Ireland would not play Rooney if we had him?
    The strength of the Premier League has little to do with the England team anymore. It's completely dominated by non English players. And your average soccer fan wouldn't change that. They are happy to support a club teams filled with foreigners playing for the highest bidder.
    Hence the complete demise in English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

English clubs dont give a **** about the national team. Rightly or wrongly.
    They rather rob 15 year olds from Dutch clubs than to do some work themselves and bring on some English players.

So that leaves a manager to pick from about 66 English premier league players for the wc2014 and i doubt it was much more this time around.
    Add the hype factor, some kid with an English passport kicks a ball straight 3x > world class and you have the perfect recipe for bi-annual comedy gold.

If people want to see a change to that cycle, they should en masse cancel their sky/btsport subscription, get the stupid money out of the game. Too late for that probably seeing the show is sold all over the world.

Sterling on £150.000 a week while he only reminds me to Jerson Cabral and Diego Biseswar (who??), 2 former Feyenoord players who had their moments of brilliance, usually by the time their contract was running out. Secure a new deal and back to anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Iceland has a massive winter break. It's clearly why they won the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Still can't understand why they left until the 85th minute to bring off Rooney, and why they waited until then to bring on Rashford...or anyone...it's very difficult to change a game in 5mins, never mind if you're a 17 yr old at your first championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

764dak wrote: »
    Premier League and the English league system can't be blamed. Welsh players are also from this system.

That narrative doesnt suit the frenzied agenda here.

inforfun wrote: »
    English clubs dont give a **** about the national team. Rightly or wrongly.
    They rather rob 15 year olds from Dutch clubs than to do some work themselves and bring on some English players.

Just like Real Madrid and Barcelona. How's Odegaard getting on these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Roy Hodgson was exactly the FA's kind of guy. A yes man who would always make England look respectable and would never cause a bit of controversy or go against them in any way. It's the problem they have in the FA, too many fellas with briefcases and not enough football heads. The worst thing they ever did was to not offer Venables a new contract. The last England manager in 20 years to get them playing anywhere near the level required for international football. When was the last time you saw England put it up to a top team in a tournament? Sure they have some wins in micky mouse friendlies before the tournament and then they go into hype mode. The problem is within the FA, not enough football intelligence there, gonna be a funny few weeks and I saw Southgate favourite to replace Hodgson last night on paddy power....are they ever going to learn haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson was exactly the FA's kind of guy. A yes man who would always make England look respectable and would never cause a bit of controversy or go against them in any way. It's the problem they have in the FA, too many fellas with briefcases and not enough football heads. The worst thing they ever did was to not offer Venables a new contract. The last England manager in 20 years to get them playing anywhere near the level required for international football. When was the last time you saw England put it up to a top team in a tournament? Sure they have some wins in micky mouse friendlies before the tournament and then they go into hype mode. The problem is within the FA, not enough football intelligence there, gonna be a funny few weeks and I saw Southgate favourite to replace Hodgson last night on paddy power....are they ever going to learn haha

Hoddle looked like he was gonna be a very good England manager until he had that brainfart and his position became untenable. They were very unlucky against Argentina in '98!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just like Real Madrid and Barcelona. How's Odegaard getting on these days?

Yes, because 1 Odegaard = Bruma, Rekik, Ake, Ebicilio and recently Chong.

That is 5 from Feyenoord alone which took me 3,4 seconds to come up with. If i go dig a bit deeper i ll find at least 30 i reckon.

inforfun wrote: »
    Yes, because 1 Odegaard = Bruma, Rekik, Ake, Ebicilio and recently Chong.

That is 5 from Feyenoord alone which took me 3,4 seconds to come up with. If i go dig a bit deeper i ll find at least 30 i reckon.

Barcelona received a transfer ban for signing young players like that illegally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement