Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - England vs Iceland, 8 pm, RTE, ITV

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I agree that it looked as if the England team were sent out unprepared and without much in the way of a tactical approach but seriously does anyone really think that a man with Hodgson's experience and knowledge sent them out to play like that??

In my opinion it's the players to blame 100%

As for team selection, we don't get to see Rooney bossing the midfield in training or Kane chipping the ball exactly where it should go from 40 yards away. Not Hodgson's fault if they bottled it on the night. Irrelevant anyway; Any 11 picked from that England squad should have what it takes to boss a game against Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why does wanting to leave European Union make someone a racist or a bigot or an idiot? Absolute nonsense ! The agendas and narrative by Irish people on Brexit is ridiculous! You are the only idiot here!

And you defend Wayne Rooneys passing as well!?? Dear oh dear!

Not to take the thread off topic, but many of the leave voters were influenced by the immigration issue and many simply did not understand the implications of a leave vote until it was too late.The leave campaign backtracked on one of it's main promises mere hours after the result became official. A quick google will throw up plenty of examples of racism experienced by foreigners in the UK since the referendum result last Friday.

I'm simply pointing out that your repeated claims of Rooney being unable to complete a 5 yard pass are blatantly untrue. Childish statements like that add little to a meaningful football discussion and serve only to bring your credibility into question.

I'm far from an idiot, you should attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Choochtown wrote: »
    I agree that it looked as if the England team were sent out unprepared and without much in the way of a tactical approach but seriously does anyone really think that a man with Hodgson's experience and knowledge sent them out to play like that??

In my opinion it's the players to blame 100%

As for team selection, we don't get to see Rooney bossing the midfield in training or Kane chipping the ball exactly where it should go from 40 yards away. Not Hodgson's fault if they bottled it on the night. Irrelevant anyway; Any 11 picked from that England squad should have what it takes to boss a game against Iceland.

Too much blame being put on the manager here & a lot of the time during the season. I don't think Hodgson is a great manager and he certainly had trouble deciding on a settled team but you can't blame him for the poor passing and inability to beat a man.

England had the stuffing knocked out of them when Iceland took the lead and a lack of leadership on the pitch cost them any chance of getting back into it. Nobody in midfield making runs or showing for the ball, defenders getting too tight to players and being beaten on the turn. Goal keeper that makes too many mistakes.

All that before you even mention that a lot of the English players are completely over-hyped and lack the basic techniques for controlling the ball.

Hodgson certainly could've done better but for me the players lack of character & quality is again the reason England are out of a tournament early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RoryMac wrote: »
    Too much blame being put on the manager here & a lot of the time during the season. I don't think Hodgson is a great manager and he certainly had trouble deciding on a settled team but you can't blame him for the poor passing and inability to beat a man.

England had the stuffing knocked out of them when Iceland took the lead and a lack of leadership on the pitch cost them any chance of getting back into it. Nobody in midfield making runs or showing for the ball, defenders getting too tight to players and being beaten on the turn. Goal keeper that makes too many mistakes.

All that before you even mention that a lot of the English players are completely over-hyped and lack the basic techniques for controlling the ball.

Hodgson certainly could've done better but for me the players lack of character & quality is again the reason England are out of a tournament early

Who is over-hyping them though. A lot of time people just assume these players are over-hyped even though in reality they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I wonder what the correlation is between Leave voters, and those that thought England would win the Euros....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hodgson has to take the blame as his team had no real shape when chasing the game. It was the same against Wales they had control of the game at 1 1 and he brought on another forward and the lost the control of the game they had and stopped creating chances. Granted they got the win in the last minute but his putting of 4 forwards on the pitch actually made them worse that day.
    The same last night they didn't create a clear cut chance in the second half as he had a front 6 of wilshire rooney alli Vardy kane and sturridge it was a scattergun approach and not surprisingly easy to defend against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who is over-hyping them though. A lot of time people just assume these players are over-hyped even though in reality they are not.

https://twitter.com/garylineker/status/746813821357031427

mansize wrote: »

So he saying there are a lot of average teams and England may have a chance. We did the same thing in this country to a lesser extent.

mansize wrote: »

An optimistic tweet with a prediction that is hardly out of the question (assuming the players play to their full potential) considering Greece won Euro 2004 and Leicester just won the Premier League. Hardly over-hype. Eamon Dunphy said we'd beat France on Sunday.

niallo27 wrote: »

It's a constant with English players, for example Rashford should have been no where near that squad for his own good more than anything. But media, fans, pundits etc all pushed for his inclusion on the back of a few decent games in his debut season.

Take Sterling as another example of showing promise and being hyped up by media, fans, pundits and his career has gone backwards(for the moment anyway).

The English side needed more experience in the key areas for this tournament, a guy like Milner should have been starting ahead of Dyer rather the early introduction to the circle of pressure & failure for those young players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Eamon Dunphy said we'd beat France on Sunday.

You're using him as your source of argument? Really?

glued wrote: »
    English fans and the red tops constantly overhype England and then smash them when they fail. The reason England have such a hard fall is becuase the press and the fans spend most of the summer building them up.

In fairness the papers were quiet reserved this time. Our papers were making beating a B Italy team who couldnt care less about the match as being the greatest Irish achievement yet.

It's a constant with English players, for example Rashford should have been no where near that squad for his own good more than anything. But media, fans, pundits etc all pushed for his inclusion on the back of a few decent games in his debut season.

Take Sterling as another example of showing promise and being hyped up by media, fans, pundits and his career has gone backwards(for the moment anyway).

The English side needed more experience in the key areas for this tournament, a guy like Milner should have been starting ahead of Dyer rather the early introduction to the circle of pressure & failure for those young players

Rashford was initially included in the provisional squad for the warm up games where he put in some good displays and scored. Nothing wrong with bringin him after that.

What exactly are the media and pundits saying about these players that is overhyping them?
    You're using him as your source of argument? Really?

He made an outrageously optimistic prediction, that actually wasn't far from coming true yet no one would accuse him of overhyping our football team. Likewise Lineker left an optimistic tweet suggesting England could win the tournament and that's an example of overhyping the team? I, like many, wasn't even aware that he said that until the tweet was posted here.

Rashford was initially included in the provisional squad for the warm up games where he put in some good displays and scored. Nothing wrong with bringin him after that.

What exactly are the media and pundits saying about these players that is overhyping them?

Bringing Rashford and throwing him on to save the day will I reckon have a negative effect on his progression, he's a young kid and being part of struggles through this tournament is unlikely to have been a positive experience.

Google is your friend on the over-hyped point, it's a bit ridiculous having to defend young English players being over-hyped in the media. It's a constant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

its kinda forgotten that Iceland had a much more difficult path to the Euro's had a harder group in the euro's
    May be England are just crap.

Bunch of Individuals V an actual Team.

Also Iceland only just missed out on the last world cup losing a Play off to Croatia .

Bringing Rashford and throwing him on to save the day will I reckon have a negative effect on his progression, he's a young kid and being part of struggles through this tournament is unlikely to have been a positive experience.

Google is your friend on the over-hyped point, it's a bit ridiculous having to defend young English players being over-hyped in the media. It's a constant

Just how negative can it be really? He didn't look out of his depth or overwhelmed by the situation at all in the few minutes he was on the pitch, in fact he took on the Icelandic players with more purpose and intensity than any other English player did all night. I really don't understand this idea that international football is too early for someone like Rashford. His first United appearance was a must win European tie at Old Trafford. His first league appearance was against an Arsenal side challenging for the title and he scored twice in both games. He scored the winning goal in the Manchester derby away to City. There was probably a greater global audience watching those games than what was tuning in to the England Iceland match, not to mention the inherent pressure of playing for a club the size of Manchester United. He's taken it all in his stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Rashford took on more defenders in his 7 minute cameo than the others during the entire match i read somewhere. If anything, he was brought on way too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

He made an outrageously optimistic prediction, that actually wasn't far from coming true yet no one would accuse him of overhyping our football team. .

That's because he talks utter nonsense and everybody knows that :pac:

England will learn nothing and looking at their World Cup qualifying group they will think everything is perfect when they qualify but its extremely soft. FIFA rank in ()

Group F: ENGLAND(11), Slovakia(24), SCOTLAND(43), Slovenia(57), Lithuania(127), Malta(166)

Compare Lowly Iceland's group
    Group I: Croatia(27), Iceland(34), Ukraine(19), Turkey(18), Finland(67)

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    England will learn nothing and looking at their World Cup qualifying group they will think everything is perfect when they qualify but its extremely soft. FIFA rank in ()

Group F: ENGLAND(11), Slovakia(24), SCOTLAND(43), Slovenia(57), Lithuania(127), Malta(166)

Compare Lowly Iceland's group
    Group I: Croatia(27), Iceland(34), Ukraine(19), Turkey(18), Finland(67)

Typical England picking an easy group for themselves. It should be a random draw in future I think.

i am aware its a random draw , POT luck if you will . merely pointing out they will not learning anything from that group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm still laughing. They should repeat this match on Dave or Comedy Central regularly ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

GO ON MY SSONS!

Late commenting on this but well done, sir, well done. :cool::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

inforfun wrote: »
    Rashford took on more defenders in his 7 minute cameo than the others during the entire match i read somewhere. If anything, he was brought on way too late.

was Hodgson intimidated to take off Rooney?? the big star of england??

should have been replaced half time

Advertisement