Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice - extending wires.

Options
  • 27-06-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

I need to extend a remote trigger for my bicycle horn. The trigger goes into the device with mini-jack. Pressing the button closes the circut making the device work (produce sound). Inside the cable there are two wires as shown on the photo. The red and gold. They should not touch each other as the circut will be permanently closed (and this should only happen when I press the button). Both wires red/gold feel metal and inside the there is material like core (white). I got couple of the triggers hoping that I just remove the button and the mini jack and extend the trigger that will be used on the bicycle. The way they are inside of the casing the both wires touch each other yet the circut is not closed which only happens when I press the button. I connected the red with red and gold with gold from two separate triggers and it does not work. So the wire that carries the current myst be inside - perhaps the fabric like (the white on the photo) is the one. Any DIY friendly way to do this ? I think my idea of connecting the wires and wrapping it with electrical tape will not work. Or where could I bring it to have it done for me by a professional. It has to be water tight too.

390052.jpeg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

You need to solder your wire so your horn will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The red wire it looks like it has enamel insulation so you'll need to prepare the wire correctly before using it. Strip off the enamel and solder the new wires on, make sure to insulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

The red wire it looks like it has enamel insulation so you'll need to prepare the wire correctly before using it. Strip off the enamel and solder the new wires on, make sure to insulate it.

I did a quick test solder and its working. So thanks for advice.

Advertisement