Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Blanchardstown area

Options
  • 27-06-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi

Please accept apologies in advance, if the post is going in a wrong forum.

We are a small family. Myself, my wife and a 5 years old son. By profession i am a Software Engineer. My wife is a home maker and very keen on gardening and keeping a tightly clean household. We are non-smokers and non-drinkers. We do not have pets. All in all, we are a tidy small family.

I will start working in a company close to Blanchardstown in Mid August and currently planning a move to dublin. I am looking for a 2 to 3 bedroom house with parking and small back garden in a family neighborhood. My budget is around 1500€ max. I am hoping to move in after 1st week of August 2016.

I am looking for a house for long term. In our current house, we have been tenant from last 6 years and in previous to this house, it was nearly the same time.

If someone here has a house to rent which suites our criteria, please get in touch.

Also most importantly i am looking on advice on two following topics.

1) What are good family oriented neighborhoods on short commute distance (max 30min drive).
    2) Good schools for children in the recommended areas.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Carpenterstown - Annfield/ Fernleigh not too far from Blanchardstown (3 miles). Educate Together Schools 50m down the road

Clonee not too far away area and might be a second options, get more bang for your buck

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

Dublin 15 is a very large area and there are good areas but areas you should definitely avoid. There are lovely areas with great schools and loads of amenities for young children.
    I would avoid the following areas if I were you: Mulhuddart, Tyrrelstown

I recommend the following areas: carpenterstown,laurel lodge, castleknock, clonsilla
    Recommended primary schools in the area:
    St Patrick's , carpenterstown
    st mocha's clonsilla
    st Francis Xavier, Roselawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yawn yawn yawn. I hate this ****, I really do. Why wouldn't you recommend Mulhuddart or Tyrellstown (ttown, really??)? Is it because it had a bad reputation years ago yeah? I can tell you as a person who has lived here for 27 years (since I was born, moved out for two years from 20-22) and then moved back into the same estate. It has changed. There is rarely any trouble where I live, the estate is mostly, a really cultural mix of families (and by that I don't mean Travellers, I mean lots of African, Polish, Lithuanian etc families).

The primary school is fantastic. There are so many supports available to the children in that school including a free breakfast club and a free homework club (as it has DEIS status), the Early Start program is fabulous too and is doing the new 2 year ECCE program too starting from September. I've spoken to parents who've actually moved their children from other primary schools (one in Castleknock and one in Ongar) because the support available to their children in the primary school in Mulhuddart is leaps and bounds ahead of those other schools.

So before somebody recommends someone to stay away from an area they may have known had a bad reputation years ago, they might want to update their knowledge on the area before they discourage someone from living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

As a Mulhuddart resident whose kids go to school in Tyrrelstown, I'm offended!!
    Mulhuddart village, Hartstowns, Huntstown, all are lovely family areas and as the houses are older they usually have bigger gardens and off street parking which you don't get in the newer estates. There are very good schools all over D15 and lots of sports clubs, dance schools, and extra curricular activities. D15 is a very good place to raise a family IMO.
    Good luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What kind of schools are you looking for? Non denominational community school or educate together, gaelscoileanna or Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

I apologise if I offended anyone - I really didn't mean to and in my previous post I should have just said areas that I'd recommend instead of avoid as I can see it can cause offence. I know Mulhuddart very well as I work in the community there for 10 years now. I know it's come on in leaps and bounds. There are some great people there & the resources going into the local primary school are excellent.
    Of course, there are good people living in Tyrrelstown and Mulhuddart ( as there are good and bad people everywhere) but i suppose if a total stranger is looking for a recommendation, I feel that estates within these areas are to be avoided. I work with families that live in Wellview, Dromheath and Castlecurragh and have dealt with genuine cases of disadvantage. I live elsewhere inD15 and have lived in D15 for nearly 40 years, all my life. I truly believe that there are nicer areas for people to set up home. I'm sorry for any offence taken. I was just offering my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well this is one person you don't want to take advice from OP.
    but i suppose if a total stranger is looking for a recommendation, I feel that estates within these areas are to be avoided.

This makes no sense. So what, you'd only recommend to a friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I apologise if I offended anyone - I really didn't mean to and in my previous post I should have just said areas that I'd recommend instead of avoid as I can see it can cause offence. I know Mulhuddart very well as I work in the community there for 10 years now. I know it's come on in leaps and bounds. There are some great people there & the resources going into the local primary school are excellent.
    Of course, there are good people living in Tyrrelstown and Mulhuddart ( as there are good and bad people everywhere) but i suppose if a total stranger is looking for a recommendation, I feel that estates within these areas are to be avoided. I work with families that live in Wellview, Dromheath and Castlecurragh and have dealt with genuine cases of disadvantage. I live elsewhere inD15 and have lived in D15 for nearly 40 years, all my life. I truly believe that there are nicer areas for people to set up home. I'm sorry for any offence taken. I was just offering my opinion.

You work in the area so of course you're going to genuine cases of disadvantage, but there are other genuine cases of disadvantage in other areas of D15 too, you just may not see it because you don't work closely with the community there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Can we try to answer the OPs question and not get too side-tracked please?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Thank you very much for the replies and valued input. Could someone tell me the reputation of SCOIL BHRÍDE BOYS NATIONAL SCHOOL. I am looking at this school for my son for Junior Infants Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Do you actually mean old Tyrrelstown or new Tyrrelstown. A lot of people don't realise there is an older area named Tyrrelstown which has a totally different demographic and social makeup from the old Tyrrelstown area down near ladyswell. My experience of the newer major development called Tyrrelstown has being almost totally positive.

Advertisement