Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best kebab in Cork City?

Options
  • 27-06-2016 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Where is the best place for kebabs in or around Cork City? Lamb donner kebab specifically, ones that taste nice even when you're not pissed out of your head. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Crazy Kebab by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

istanbul oliver plunkett street do a great lamb kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Spice Route.

The Spice Route

The Spice Route.

The Spice Route

Spice Route is an abomination. I've had plenty of them, because they're nearby, but they're horrific. They deep fry the kebab meat, and it's the most greasy thing imaginable. I've spent many a night with severe stomach pain, and almost as many taking permanent residence on the bog. I'm not in any way claiming food poisoning, or anything bad about their cleanliness, just that the amount of grease on their food is not helpful for what is already a fairly hard to digest form of food.

The only thing thing I will admit their kebabs have going for them is that if you're a fan of spicy, their really spicy sauce is excellent.

Once I started going to Crazy Kebab I never looked back.

I think Istanbul is pretty decent, but they're expensive and the quantity is poor. And the quality doesn't go beyond what others offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

I haven't found any "amazing" kebab anywhere in Ireland yet.. But Istanbul at Oliver Plunkett street, like some mentioned before, is pretty good. Definitely my favorite so far.

Spice route was hyped in another similar thread but after giving it three attempts I can assure you that I won't be putting my foot in there again. But well, I guess everyone likes different things so give it a try anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sultans.

That lamb shawarma... Yom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Istanbul used to be excellent but quality has diminished over the last few years. Wouldn't go there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not a fan of their lamb donner but Crazy Kebab's chicken donner is pretty good.

Serious question : has anyone managed to eat a whole one in one sitting?
    They are ginormous!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

The Spice Route.

The Spice Route

Is this a joke?
    Horrific food all round in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

****er. ...it'd 0955 and I now want a kebab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Ok let's start a new thread..

What time is the first kebab shop open on a Saturday in cork? :)

Not a fan of their lamb donner but Crazy Kebab's chicken donner is pretty good.

They are ginormous!

Not a hope. I usually get the kebab on a plate (and I like the Doner) but there's no way I could finish it in one sitting. I keep the leftovers for lunch the next day and throw it in the oven for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

They are ginormous!

I have, it was a take-away and I did it in my work canteen! Good thing it was a Saturday and there wasn't anybody else in the room to see :)

Here's a good read from the archives: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055450161/5

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I have, it was a take-away and I did it in my work canteen! Good thing it was a Saturday and there wasn't anybody else in the room to see :)

Here's a good read from the archives: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055450161/5

Ya hound ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have had a Kebab from 4 places in cork and i don't rate any of them.

The Spice Route yuck thats all i can say for that i got a meal with chips and nearly all of it went in the bin.

Istanbul meat is not good at all but there bread is very nice .

Indian Moon meat was nice and that was it for me from there.

Ali Baba one night me and sisters boyfriend where drunk and we got it sent up to us at like 3am so we know not to expect much it was like rubber everything.

Still the Best Donor for me is in a Kebeb shop in Comnel. Called babylon there Kebebs and they even make fresh chips as well. How i miss the place.

Waterford city used to have a ok Donor as well Istanbul as well but they would place there meat in a pita not a nam bread can be very nice as well if the meat is fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Have had a Kebab from 4 places in cork and i don't rate any of them....

Try Crazy Kebab.

On a side note, I've grown quite fond of Zaytoon in Dublin, it's still got nothing on what you'd pick up at a random döner stand anywhere in Germany for a third of the price, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Try Crazy Kebab.

On a side note, I've grown quite fond of Zaytoon in Dublin, it's still got nothing on what you'd pick up at a random döner stand anywhere in Germany for a third of the price, though!

I used to livd close to there and I never went for some stage reason.

When I get a kebeb during the week I will try it and if bad I am balding you and I will hunt you down ha ha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I wanted one the other night and there was no place that delivered on just eat. Could get a very good one in London until all hours next to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

morgana wrote: »
    Istanbul used to be excellent but quality has diminished over the last few years. Wouldn't go there now.

Only took one Kebab from there and will never be back. Horrible.

The Spice Route.

The Spice Route

+1 delicious, I can give a vote of 3 or 4 of my friends too who all have it as there favourite also. Always ask for extra spicy too, they actually know how to make something spicy. I do usually go for the chicken kebab but the lamb ones are very nice there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Best I've tried in Cork is Anatolia Kebabs in Midleton. Istanbul in the city would be my 2nd choice but hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Tasty Bite in Killeagh is pretty good, nothing outstanding in Cork tho.
    Jump in the car and head up the motorway to Urlingford and try the Wishing Well, a proper kebab shop, run buy Turks. Its worth the 3 hour round trip and tolls lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

the first thing i noticed in crazy kebab was the lidl frozen chip bag then the burnt doner kebab i was served ,now the portion size was huge and cheap but it was utter ****e quality wise , never again, the only half decent kebab ive come across is istanbul and at that its hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Don't think I'd eat a kebab in Cork.

shafty100 wrote: »
    the first thing i noticed in crazy kebab was the lidl frozen chip bag

I don't imagine many kebab shops cut fresh chips.
    What would be an acceptable brand of frozen chip to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'm very guilty of being a Speedos regular, it's muck, but it's cheap and they're good to deal with.

Lasvish gets a lot of praise, had two there and wasn't overly impressed by the taste, massive quantity though.
    Although I've been advised by a few Pakistani friends to order from their Indian food menu, which I'll give a crack at some stage.

Spice Route is one of only two places I've gotten into an argument with anyone in a retail setting.
    The night I went in, the regular two younger lads weren't there and they only had one older man working.
    He went from handling cash to touching the meat, no gloves or washing of hands; I refused to take the food and got my money back.

The only other place I've had an identical argument was in a very overpriced cafe in Innishannon after a funeral for the exact same reason, but with added filthy dish cloth.

Istambul (not a spelling mistake, place by The Brog) is the only one I've been sick from.
    Got one at 7pm one night before a 5hr job, the thing ran through me and made it a very long 5hrs.

The absolute worst ones I've had are the ones from non Turkish/Pakistani run chippers.
    They are pretty much a tortilla wrap, bits of lamb or chicken and a load of garlic & herb sauce; Zicos and Looneys being the guilty ones

Advertisement