Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The English options don't look too great.

Might they go back to a foreign coach? Laurent Blanc is available. Maybe make a play for Del Bosque, should he become available?

Or perhaps with the current political climate they don't want foreigners. Get someone with 'bulldog spirit', i.e. not very good tactically but shouts a lot.
    They have to pay him in Euro as the £ will be worth sweet FA... Plus a work permit as he's a dastardly foreigner. What an irony... Get rid of Johnny Foreigner then hire one as England manager. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They could go for another Roy...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eagle eye wrote: »
    He was a good manager at International level and did a good job in the Premier league with Fulham and West Brom either side of the Liverpool job.

It's not like Liverpool were wonderful when he arrived and he wasn't handed a great team or a big budget to make things better. It's not like they were wonderful after he left either apart from one season, when you had Luis.

This team had a 100% record in qualifying and you won't do that with a bad manager.

He has to take the blame for the performance in the Euros but the players were awful tonight and I don't think that was down to the manager.

A coward, a fraud and his football shows exactly that.

Players were poor but your looking to your sideline for inspiration and you have this clown rubbing his face.

A truly awful manager I wouldn't even wish on Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be another FA yes man IMO. Southgate.
    The FA are gutless cowards

Harry Redknapp should have been manager, you think England would have perfomed like that tonight under him? No chance, mate! Instead they get in a bumbling Yes man that they can boss around. The likes of Southgate shouldnt even be considered for the role.

And as for Gary Neville, considering his involvement in the shambles tonght and Valencia, he will be best laying low for a while. Will be interesting to see if Neville has the gall to return to Sky Sports after this, how can anyone take him seriously from now on? Out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This team had a 100% record in qualifying and you won't do that with a bad manager.

He has to take the blame for the performance in the Euros but the players were awful tonight and I don't think that was down to the manager.

Wayne Rooney in midfield because Van Gaal played him there a few times at the end of the season. Rashford there based on a good run of 14/15 games. Vardy and Kane both squeezed in because they were the form players.

Hodgson was manager for four full years but instead of arriving at the Euros with a settled side and a tactical plan developed over 2 previous tournaments, he put out a side built around whoever was getting most press last season. His squad choices were terrible and his team selections even worse, just throwing strikers on everywhere regardless of what the team actually needed.

I thought he couldn't have done much at the last world cup but when it comes to this tournament he completely ****ed it up from start to finish.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

brendan rodgers?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Allardyce should walk into the job, all things being equal.

They should give it to Redknapp if he still wants a go. If not then Allardyce, Pardew and Eddie Howe should be the candidates. The likes of Gareth Southgate and Gary Neville have no business on the list.

MON hasnt actually signed a new one with us yet,they cud do worse
    No better than Hodgson, O'Neill wouldnt hack the pressure and they wouldnt want him

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

What about Manuel Pellegrini ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There is no outstanding English candidate. I think they are in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Benitez would be a good shout but he's committed to Newcastle. Knows the English game, incredibly successful at club level, would command the respect of the players etc.

The English candidates are no good, they'll have to go for a foreigner. Nobody jumping out at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Louis Van Gaal

mickeyk wrote: »
    Benitez would be a good shout but he's committed to Newcastle. Knows the English game, incredibly successful at club level, would command the respect of the players etc.

The English candidates are no good, they'll have to go for a foreigner. Nobody jumping out at the moment

I dont think Benitez would command the respect of the players, or the media and certainly not the fans. Although I wouldnt worry about the respect of the players, half that squad tonight have no business pulling on an England squad again. They would be better off picking a best XI from the Championship , at least they would show heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I dont think Benitez would command the respect of the players, or the media and certainly not the fans. Although I wouldnt worry about the respect of the players, half that squad tonight have no business pulling on an England squad again. They would be better off picking a best XI from the Championship , at least they would show heart.

Benitez is several classes above Southgate or any of the other English candidates though. I agree he won't be offered or want the job for that matter.

They'll have a tough task getting a top level candidate after that shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

They should beg Sir Alex Ferguson to take the job for a couple of years in the hope that a suitable candidate is available after the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

David Beckham??

david beckham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I saw this in the Mirror website

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-england-manager-4-contenders-8297685

Cant get over how bad the options are available at the moment, its really really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

May as well give it to Pardew or Allardyce. Whole thing is a once every 2 Summers comedy show anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They should beg Sir Alex Ferguson to take the job for a couple of years in the hope that a suitable candidate is available after the world cup.

Never in a million years would he accept that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wonder would they try poach Coleman or would that be crazy of Coleman to consider it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

jeez, with these options the FA will be begging Roy to reconsider.

trappatoni?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Headshot wrote: »
    I saw this in the Mirror website

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-england-manager-4-contenders-8297685

Cant get over how bad the options are available at the moment, its really really bad.

Especially when you see the current England team. It is quite an attractive team to take over. Plenty of decent young players with a lot of potential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

England fans arent happy with Welsh celebrating the loss

Wales would want to get furthest of the British teams, I personally dont see why its a problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

It is always the same, they will do great in their group and do bad at the finals. Its a thankless task, Hodgson's qualifying record was impeccable but nobody cares when you get beat in the last 16 to Iceland. They need a better standard of player, they need upgrades in their midfield, I can never see any of those players being better than what Germany or Spain or France will produce over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

He'll be foreign, probably Italian. I mean are there even any English managers left in the PL anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That little girl from Game of Thrones would fire this England side up.

Southgate is the obvious yes man.

Bonkers appointment would be Klinsmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

They need someone with the balls to drop big name players that aren't good enough anymore like Rooney.
    Players need to be picked that suit a system and get a good team together, not squeeze the best rated payers into a non-system.
    They were a shambles last night, playing for themselves it was all long shots and crap crosses.
    Why was Rashford allowed take a corner near the end? crazy stuff.

I think Big Sam will be offered the job, they have few options if they want to keep an English man in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

They need someone with the balls to drop big name players that aren't good enough anymore like Rooney.
    Players need to be picked that suit a system

I think Big Sam will be offered the job, they have few options if they want to keep an English man in the job.

Think so as well he can get results . . . its his time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Eddie Howe. By far the best candidate.

Has been superb at Bournemouth but would you really want to destroy his career/confidence by putting him into the ultimate poisoned chalice. English football is light years away from success because they don't have a coherent grassroots plan.
    Leave Howe exactly where he is and let him develop - he's far too astute to go anywhere near it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

I reckon FA will go "safe" with Southgate but think if Pardew does some canvassing he might be the man. It would be a great move for him and his ego - he hasnt completely f*cked up Palace yet but next season is looming fast.

BBC pundits are pretty good at predicting the type of manager next (or managerial trends) - the predicted foreign before Capello, English before Roy etc. They have now said England need to go for a young manager, wounder how long it will take them to realise they nee to go for a good manager....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Guss Hiddink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Louis Van Gaal.

Give him the reigns and contract to the end of the '18 World Cup, and they'll likely get to the semi's.

Not an English/British candidate available that will come near meeting expectations for that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Slavin Bilic ??

look at the England FA manager hiring policy for the last while - it's either

Foreign Charlatan - Sven, Capello (better than Sven but still)

Gormless English Yes Man - Hodgson, McClaren

Really only have themselves to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

fryup wrote: »
    Slavin Bilic ??

He'd be the only man I'd consider but why on earth would he want to bother?

By the way it's a fecking disgrace that the PL had just three English managers last season and one of the came up from the Championship last summer.

The top flight has the best collection of foreign managers anywhere by some distance which shows how big money has distorted the game in England with some significant long term downside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

He'd be the only man I'd consider but why on earth would he want to bother?

By the way it's a fecking disgrace that the PL had just three English managers last season and one of the came up from the Championship last summer.

The top flight has the best collection of foreign managers anywhere by some distance which shows how big money has distorted the game in England with some significant long term downside.

Brexit might change this now. Remember England/UK or whatever can pretty much decide whatever they want. They could have a league without any restrictions if they wished or bring in the foreigner rule because it would no longer contravene EU law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pellegrini would be a good option and he's probably gettable. He'd be better than the vast majority of other International managers and give England a good edge. Laurent Blanc would also be worth a try but I reckon he'd see himself as above this job now and maybe wouldn't fancy another stint at International management at his young age. Not sure if England would be prepared to match either wage though.

If they're still set on sticking to homegrown, I see Howe as the only viable option but I think he'd be foolish to leave his project at Bournemouth in the PL for the national job. Options are thin on the ground otherwise. The two current favorites (Southgate and Hoddle -yes, GLEN HODDLE!) are ridiculously underwhelming in very different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Especially when you see the current England team. It is quite an attractive team to take over. Plenty of decent young players with a lot of potential.

Exactly, they had the players to win, just not the manager to orchestrate it. We don't want a foreign coach & whilst the list of top English managers is slim, if the FA give them the freedom to actually 'manage', then we do have options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blatter wrote: »
    Pellegrini would be a good option and he's probably gettable. He'd be better than the vast majority of other International managers and give England a good edge. Laurent Blanc would also be worth a try but I reckon he'd see himself as above this job now and maybe wouldn't fancy another stint at International management at his young age. Not sure if England would be prepared to match either wage though.

Pelle is now manager of Alaves (not a name I've heard much of since 2001!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mourinho is the one manager I could see doing a decent job with England that's not going to happen this time around. Bilic would be another good one. Allarydyce the best of the English managers as he may actually play to their strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Blatter wrote: »
    Pellegrini would be a good option and he's probably gettable. He'd be better than the vast majority of other International managers and give England a good edge.

Don't rate him at all, think he is tactically inept on the big stage as we saw with a lot of City's performances in big European/PL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He was a good manager at International level and did a good job in the Premier league with Fulham and West Brom either side of the Liverpool job.

It's not like Liverpool were wonderful when he arrived and he wasn't handed a great team or a big budget to make things better. It's not like they were wonderful after he left either apart from one season, when you had Luis.

He had Liverpool down near the relegation zone by the time he was booted out. He was banging on about 'historic' wins over Fenerbache and claiming a Merseyside Derby defeat at Goodison was our best performance of the season when we were, in reality, awful. The bloke at a high level is a spoofer. Some of the stuff he was coming out with during these Euros were quite frankly laughable.

You were on having a go at Liverpool fans that season for wanting your beloved Roy Hodgson sacked from Anfield. Last night's England performance was very familiar to Liverpool fans.

Van Gaal is not "media friendly" enough for the FA. Southgate will get it. Regardless of who gets it, numer one they have to qualify for WC2018 then put your money on when they get turfed out.

• Advertisement

Pelle is now manager of Alaves (not a name I've heard much of since 2001!)
    Didn't see that at all! Last I read was that he wasn't being considered for the Saints job a couple of days ago.

kfallon wrote: »
    Don't rate him at all, think he is tactically inept on the big stage as we saw with a lot of City's performances in big European/PL games.
    Yeah. Compared against the best, he has clear flaws. But luckily there's no need to do that as the vast majority of top level managers work in club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Mourinho is the one manager I could see doing a decent job with England that's not going to happen this time around. Bilic would be another good one. Allarydyce the best of the English managers as he may actually play to their strengths.

If the FA had any sense they'd appoint a Bilic or Tuchel and let them have total control. They won't though and we all know it. It will be someone like Southgate and the façade of greatness will continue.

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    If the FA had any sense they'd appoint a Bilic or Tuchel and let them have total control. They won't though and we all know it. It will be someone like Southgate and the façade of greatness will continue.

What are you talking about? What on earth makes you think that either of those guys would be willing to take a step down(or several steps in Tuchel's case) for the England job?

Euro 2016: Gareth Southgate should not be next England boss, says Harry Redknapp.

Gareth Southgate being favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson as England manager is "scary", says Harry Redknapp.

Hodgson resigned on Monday after England were knocked out of Euro 2016 in the last 16 by minnows Iceland.

But Redknapp said Southgate was only seen as a favourite for the job because he had won a "second-rate tournament" with England's Under-21s in Toulon.

"Why should he get it in front of Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce, who are proven managers?" asked the former QPR boss.

When it was suggested that Southgate knew the way the Football Association worked as well as the English "system", Redknapp responded: "Knows what system? The losing system? He knows the losing formula?

"I like Gareth Southgate, he's a great lad, but what's he done?"

BBC Football

• Advertisement
Advertisement