Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Blatter wrote: »
    What are you talking about? What on earth makes you think that either of those guys would be willing to take a step down(or several steps in Tuchel's case) for the England job?

The same reason most people change jobs, money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Arry should finally get his shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    What should the FA's budget for a manager be?

Do you think West Ham wouldn't be able to match an FA offer for Bilic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In all seriousness, surely their first call will be to Laurent Blanc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

mosstin wrote: »
    Has been superb at Bournemouth but would you really want to destroy his career/confidence by putting him into the ultimate poisoned chalice. English football is light years away from success because they don't have a coherent grassroots plan.
    Leave Howe exactly where he is and let him develop - he's far too astute to go anywhere near it anyway.
    I agree, Howe is the man but they need a steady hand for 2 years to rebuild some degree of respectability and trust from the fans. The fans will abandon the team and after last night I cant blame them.

The suits and academics in the FA just want a Yes Man and stooge that will be good for their image and brand England. Redknapp should have had the job, but they need him even more now. If the English FA push to bring in another incompetent Yes man like Gareth Southgate, the English team is finished. Southgate is totally incompetent, look at how he relegated Middlesborough , hes Roy Hodgson Junior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mr. Farage wrote: »

Not while talking a downward step which it certainly would be in Tuchels case.

This isn't a job for most managers it's a career they want to prove how good they are and progress in their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The FA should go for Arsene Wenger and I think he'd take it. It would allow him to leave Arsenal with dignity, he'd bring something different to the squad and get them playing good football and wouldn't have the problems with the media that other 'foreign' managers would.

I actually think that the restrictions of international football would suit Wenger - not being able to sign the same player over and over again and having to work with what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Pellegrini would be a good option and he's probably gettable. He'd be better than the vast majority of other International managers and give England a good edge. Laurent Blanc would also be worth a try but I reckon he'd see himself as above this job now and maybe wouldn't fancy another stint at International management at his young age. Not sure if England would be prepared to match either wage though.

If they're still set on sticking to homegrown, I see Howe as the only viable option but I think he'd be foolish to leave his project at Bournemouth in the PL for the national job. Options are thin on the ground otherwise. The two current favorites (Southgate and Hoddle -yes, GLEN HODDLE!) are ridiculously underwhelming in very different ways.
    Pelle is now manager of Alaves (not a name I've heard much of since 2001!)
    Didn't see that at all! Last I read was that he wasn't being considered for the Saints job a couple of days ago.

Pellegrino is the new manager of Alaves. Pellegrini is still available.

Given Pellegrino is a former Liverpool player and coach, old Harry should hang his head in shame! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Have a feeling that Southgate will get this and there's a high possibility that the guy will fail miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

glasso wrote: »
    look at the England FA manager hiring policy for the last while - it's either

Foreign Charlatan - Sven, Capello (better than Sven but still)

Gormless English Yes Man - Hodgson, McClaren

Really only have themselves to blame.

Out of all those managers Capello was the only one who actually got England playing well. And then the blazers in the FA undermined him with the John Terry affair and he resigned.

Can't see them going for Harry, Big Sam is an option but his football philosophy doesn't fit. No way could I see Howe taking it or Billic being remotely interested. Glen Hoddle would be worth looking at. Would love to see a joint ticket of Linekar and Shearer, if only to get their blandness off Match of the Day.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Out of all those managers Capello was the only one who actually got England playing well. And then the blazers in the FA undermined him with the John Terry affair and he resigned.

Thought England were pretty much the same as usual under Capello. They qualified handily but were dreary and poor in their only tournament under him - 2010 WC.
    Can't see them going for Harry, Big Sam is an option but his football philosophy doesn't fit. No way could I see Howe taking it or Billic being remotely interested. Glen Hoddle would be worth looking at. Would love to see a joint ticket of Linekar and Shearer, if only to get their blandness off Match of the Day.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

English FA this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

They should honestly go and get Glenn hoddle back as england manager , the man wouldn't be afraid to make radical changes or to drop the underperforming players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They should honestly go and get Glenn hoddle back as england manager , the man wouldn't be afraid to make radical changes or to drop the underperforming players.

He was the last good English manager they had, the meedja hated him though, king Kev for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TheTownie wrote: »
    Pellegrino is the new manager of Alaves. Pellegrini is still available.

Given Pellegrino is a former Liverpool player and coach, old Harry should hang his head in shame! :pac:

Ha! You know what even as I (clearly half) read the headline (not the article) I thought that's a bit of an odd club to go to.

That said Pellegrini wouldn't be a good man for England, he's a bit too soft I think. They need hard yards as well as better tactics.

Actually on that Liverpool connection - Rafa would be brilliant but for the fact he'd get bored during the down time I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I have to say it's remarkable how sabotaged this England setup was by Hodgson in the run up.

To treat every friendly as massive games and judge the Germany result as great is why England are where they are in terms of seeding, but really that was the time to experiment, months in advance. They had a group secured after one game, that was the time to experiment,.

No, he chooses the two friendlies directly before selecting a squad and flying to France to change everything. I'm convinced the friendlies before the tournament beat the form out of Kane especially and probably Vardy, especially being played wide to facilitate Rooney against Portugal.

That doesn't work, so he changes it all over again in the tournament, playing Rooney deep this time and throwing on strikers with no supply or plan to service them.

Then he keeps the same misfiring squad against Wales. Then he swaps all sorts of players and sacrifices top spot and goes back to the misfiring Kane and Sterling for the knockouts.

Their best performance was in Euro 2012, where he could concentrate on defensive shape and sitting deep. Attacking lineups and plans are not his forte.

This is the man who took Rashford and not a Drinkwater/Noble type and three centre-backs and Jack "plays like 20 a day" Wilshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Martin Glenn has just said that the players are too brittle in tournaments. He wants in future that in "every half, every game, every tournament we will punch our weight"

I know he can't lambast Hodgson when he's right beside him, but the above is a mental statement. throwing your players under a bus doesn't seem the wisest thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Roy Hodgson, "I don't really know what I'm doing here."

Complete bottler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this was posted on reddit a while back about Southgate
    Sometimes I wish I or we could talk about the naivety of some/most British coaches when it comes to the rest of the world not being like them, but I feel like the conversation would be heavily downvoted and thus would become invisible after just one or two posts.

As a quick example: as part of my studies to obtain coaching badges in England, I attended a training session given by Gareth Southgate, the head coach of England U-21. Now, I've seen live and video-recorded sessions from U-6 amateur teams to the first team of Bayern München, so I've seen sessions that I thought were amazing, fun, alright, boring, and pretty bad. The two worst, but I mean most horrible sessions I've ever seen were from A) Gareth Southgate and B) a goalkeeping coach whose name I can't remember, but I think he's the head of GK development for children in England.

Gareth Southgate's session was supposed to be about attack and creativity, but he didn't coach anything. He just stuck two teams in a pitch (which was way smaller than it should've been) and told them to play, giving useless instructions like "go wide, go wide!" (when the pitch was so narrow that going wide didn't make any difference) or "try to attack", "come on!", "that's it". The kids played football alright, but they didn't learn one ****ing thing from this session. Southgate didn't provide any tips about how to receive the ball, how to do a little faint, when to do a little faint, what sort of movement the attacking players should make, how to develop lines of pass, anything. He didn't provide a space to perhaps train risky moves or to let the players show some flair, to develop some tricks, something that could be called "creativity". It was just 60 minutes of some kids playing football and Southgate stopping the play every now and then to modify the teams a bit (changing some bibs), telling the players to go wide, and talking to us about what he was (supposedly) trying to achieve. It was a mess, it was embarrassing, but either nobody else seemed to notice or everyone else thought this was a good training session.

And he's the head coach of the English U-21. If I'm not mistaken, under his command England has performed worse than ever.

makes for interesting reading.

This is the man who took Rashford and not a Drinkwater/Noble type and three centre-backs and Jack "plays like 20 a day" Wilshire.
    Hodgson's biggest mistake with respect to Rashford was not playing him more.

No England player completed more dribbles than Rashford last night (3) and he was hardly on the pitch 5 minutes! With Sterling out of form they were badly in need of a player who could take on defenders and beat them. They could have done with starting him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Fergie for England?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Roy just said he didn't understand why he had to be wheeled out today, that his statement last night should have been sufficient. This fits with his "these things happen" statement. He doesnt appear to realise just how much of a clusterf*ck last night's performance, not to mention the overall performance at the last two tournaments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

he's really not coming across well here...

yeah, Hodgson was made do this. I'm pretty sure he's only there because there's something in his finished contract that meant he had to be. he thought last night was it and he'd have to face nothing from the media.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

No team with Eric Dier or Dele Alli and Danny Rose in the team was going to win the euros. Look at the team who won the countries league FFS and a team made up of the aforementioned players fell way short of. England don't have Verthongen or Lloris or Demble to prop these players up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No England player completed more dribbles than Rashford last night (3) and he was hardly on the pitch 5 minutes! With Sterling out of form they were badly in need of a player who could take on defenders and beat them. They could have done with starting him tbh.

He was able to run at players alright against a tired defense but his final ball like every other England player was poor. He didnt actually do anything when he came on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cringing watching hodgson now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mec27 wrote: »
    No team with Eric Dier or Dele Alli and Danny Rose in the team was going to win the euros. Look at the team who won the countries league FFS and a team made up of the aforementioned players fell way short of. England don't have Verthongen or Lloris or Demble to prop these players up.

I don't think anyone really expected them to win it, but to not win their group and go out in the last 16 to Iceland is fairly unacceptable.

Hodgson is a disgrace, 4 years he is in charge of the England team, paid well and he cant even understand why he's been asked "WTF happened?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

The man is senile. More deluded than John Giles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »
    He was able to run at players alright against a tired defense but his final ball like every other England player was poor. He didnt actually do anything when he came on

I wouldn't agree that Rashford should have started but he definitely should have come on sooner. At least he gave it a go when he came on, pretty hard for anyone to do a lot in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He did make a bit of an impact as he was able to run past his marker a couple of times but yeah it was against tired defenders. Whether it would have worked from the start is debatable. Should have had longer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness Iceland did draw with Portugal, Austria and beat Hungary.

Iceland Iceland also beat Holland twice in qualifying http://ie.soccerway.com/teams/iceland/iceland/1143/Holland are a potentially much better team then England in my opinion (it is just the internal fighting that destroys them :) ).

I don't think Roy Hodgson was as bad a manager as he was made out to be.

The hyper- sales pitch from Sky Sports about the premier league has blinded a lot of people as to the standard of the premier league.
    Therefore the Irish supporters of the former glory teams of Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool etc are blinded too.

I think England are better off doing what Wales/Iceland did get core a group of players together at underage and bring them up together with the national team.
    This would require patience from the English fans and media alike. So that is never going to happen.

I think that Michael O'Neill would do a great job for England.
    Look at what he achieved with Shamrock Rovers and NI he has tactical nous and is able to instill belief in players.
    Fortunately/unfortunately I can not see that happening.

It will be interesting in the marketing for next years premierlegue will it be called the "best league in the world" repeatedly as usual?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Johner wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that Rashford should have started but he definitely should have come on sooner. At least he gave it a go when he came on, pretty hard for anyone to do a lot in 5 minutes.

So England were pinning thier hopes on a young fella who has played 11 games for Manchester United?
    :D

That should set alarm bells ringing on it's own!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Iceland Iceland also beat Holland twice in qualifying http://ie.soccerway.com/teams/iceland/iceland/1143/Holland are a potentially much better team then England in my opinion (it is just the internal fighting that destroys them :) ).

The hyper- sales pitch from Sky Sports about the premier league has blinded a lot of people as to the standard of the premier league.
    Therefore the Irish supporters of the former glory teams of Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool etc are blinded too.

I think England are better off doing what Wales/Iceland did get core a group of players together at underage and bring them up together with the national team.
    This would require patience from the English fans and media alike. So that is never going to happen.

Look at what he achieved with Shamrock Rovers and NI he has tactical nous and is able to instill belief in players.

It will be interesting in the marketing for next years premierlegue will it be called the "best league in the world" repeatedly as usual?

England wouldn't hire a Larerbak or an O'Neill, not glamarous enough for them. You are right, they would be best served bringing up a nucleus of a squad organically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They had the chance to hire O'Neill before. They asked him how he would treat certain 'star' players and he said the same as every other player and they never came back to him.

your bias is actually weirdly endearing.

Rashford was great when he came on. be honest with yourself. yes, his final ball didn't work out, but at least he showed some bravery, as well as enough quality to get by a couple of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    Martin Glenn has just said that the players are too brittle in tournaments. He wants in future that in "every half, every game, every tournament we will punch our weight"

I know he can't lambast Hodgson when he's right beside him, but the above is a mental statement. throwing your players under a bus doesn't seem the wisest thing to do.

They looked like they had a gameplan for the game against Russia, Wales and Slovakia. The only issue was not putting the ball in the net enough.

Last night they looked clueless after Iceland equalised.

Is this really the manager's fault?

Yeah maybe he could have picked Vardy instead of Kane. Maybe Lallana being banned had a huge affect on things, I doubt it, but the players looked like they couldn't pass a ball last night, couldn't cross a ball either.

Do you blame the manager if players suddenly can't cross a ball, can't hold onto a ball or can't pass a ball?

Like what did he do to turn these guys from decent footballers a couple of days ago into doing an excellent impression of hapless, inexperienced amateurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Honestly I think if roy had of played him I think he could have made him a scapegoat. I know a few of my united supporting mates wanted to see him left at home because england where always going to crash and burn at the euros and they didn't want to see rashford being used as a scapegoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Johner wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson, "I don't really know what I'm doing here."

Complete bottler.

Complete spoofer more like. Think he said it at least 3 or 4 times during than conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Complete spoofer more like. Think he said it at least 3 or 4 times during than conference.

Seems to think he can get away without explaining this at all.
    'Sorry guys, I've resigned.'

Here's the list of the last 10 full time managers

Ron Greenwood
    Bobby Robson
    Graham Taylor
    Terry Venables
    Glenn Hoddle
    Kevin Keegan
    Sven-Göran Eriksson
    Steve McClaren
    Fabio Capello
    Roy Hodgson

Two of them made a reasonable fist of the job at a tournament and one of them had the advantage of being the home side. How many of them would you have wanted to be your club sides manager at the time they got the England job?

Probably the same two.

So England should copy Wales and assemble a team of premier league players. Hang i thought they were overhyped.

your bias is actually weirdly endearing.

Rashford was great when he came on. be honest with yourself. yes, his final ball didn't work out, but at least he showed some bravery, as well as enough quality to get by a couple of players.

I have said before he is a great player and going to be even better but was good he running past players if you do nothing with the ball. Your reverse bias is a bit much sometimes as well in fairness.

I have said before he is a great player and going to be even better but was good he running past players if you do nothing with the ball. Your reverse bias is a bit much sometimes as well in fairness.

it's not reverse bias ffs. Smalling was shít all tournament. i could name many Utd players who have been shít in this tournament.

pretty much everyone who I've seen comment on the match said he made a big difference. he certainly wasn't poor. that's just lunacy.

it's not reverse bias ffs. Smalling was shít all tournament. i could name many Utd players who have been shít in this tournament.

pretty much everyone who I've seen comment on the match said he made a big difference. he certainly wasn't poor. that's just lunacy.

I didnt say he was poor, i just said he did nothing with the ball when he came on, come on you must admit you try a bit too hard to be neutral sometimes.

So England should copy Wales and assemble a team of premier league players. Hang i thought they were overhyped.

That is not what I said at all.

I clearly mean to keep a core group of young lads together through the ranks. This is regardless of which club they end up in.
    These fellas will know each others game and know each other as people.
    Much like a GAA club in an all-ireland club championship.

Doing it this way will also mean the players stick to the same system and they are used to it.
    It would take time and patience though neither of which England have.

That is not what I said at all.

I clearly mean to keep a core group of young lads together through the ranks. This is regardless of which club they end up in.
    These fellas will know each others game and know each other as people.
    Much like a GAA club in an all-ireland club championship.

Doing it this way will also mean the players stick to the same system and they are used to it.
    It would take time and patience though neither of which England have.

That would mean players like rashford would never get into an England team. Wales have done this because they have a small squad and are limited on players to pick. Lets not forget Wales were ****e for a long long time and once now they get one decent generation and they should be copied.

That would mean players like rashford would never get into an England team. Wales have done this because they have a small squad and are limited on players to pick. Lets not forget Wales were ****e for a long long time and once now they get one decent generation and they should be copied.

Look wales and Iceland have done the same thing and it worked. That cannot be coincidence. Wales were willing to forgo future qualifying attempts to build a nucleus.

I will repeat Wales and Iceland.

Also I said a core group of players not the whole 23. So it would leave a place for the likes of Rashford.
    But to be honest I fail to see the relevance to your argument by mentioning Rashford he did hardly anything bar a few dribbles with the limited time he was given.

I think some players are suited to international football and some are not.
    Look how the "worst Italian team in history" is faring.

They have teamwork, dedication togetherness. They are the building blocks. These would be further fostered if the group stayed together from a young age.
    Look at ajax 95 or the five youth players who played with man united under Ferguson.

• Advertisement

Look wales and Iceland have done the same thing and it worked. That cannot be coincidence. Wales were willing to forgo future qualifying attempts to build a nucleus.

I will repeat Wales and Iceland.

Also I said a core group of players not the whole 23. So it would leave a place for the likes of Rashford.
    But to be honest I fail to see the relevance to your argument by mentioning Rashford he did hardly anything bar a few dribbles with the limited time he was given.

I think some players are suited to international football and some are not.
    Look how the "worst Italian team in history" is faring.

They have teamwork, dedication togetherness. They are the building blocks. These would be further fostered if the group stayed together from a young age.
    Look at ajax 95 or the five youth players who played with man united under Ferguson.

How do you pick these core players though, should we have kept the U-17 irish team that came third in the world together. Most of them faded to nothing.

Advertisement