Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Having a settled group of players is great for smaller countries who get a good crop coming up together but I'm not sure England even need to go that far. The media has picked the team for well over a decade, pushing the latest flavour of the month on the manager and then crucifying him when it all goes pear shaped. This has to stop if they ever want to break the cycle of hilarious failure.

They need a strong manager with a good tactical knowledge and the stubbornness to stick with the best team rather than the best 11 in-form footballers, and drop those that aren't performing (I'm looking at you Wayne) without worrying about what they think in Fleet Street. They have enough talent in that squad to make a real go of tournaments. They just need somebody to be left do the job.

Southgate would be a disastrous appointment, and a guarantee of more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Southgate is just another company man. Alan Curbishley is available I imagine...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

niallo27 wrote: »
    I have said before he is a great player and going to be even better but was good he running past players if you do nothing with the ball. Your reverse bias is a bit much sometimes as well in fairness.

I dont support United

But Rashford was very good when he came on

If the rest of the team played as good as him they would have won

He at least looked bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Here's the list of the last 10 full time managers

Ron Greenwood
    Bobby Robson
    Graham Taylor
    Terry Venables
    Glenn Hoddle
    Kevin Keegan
    Sven-Göran Eriksson
    Steve McClaren
    Fabio Capello
    Roy Hodgson

Two of them made a reasonable fist of the job at a tournament and one of them had the advantage of being the home side. How many of them would you have wanted to be your club sides manager at the time they got the England job?

Probably the same two.

Of the list of managere they have had over the last number of years Glenn hoddle springs out to me as the best of that bunch , I think he was very unfortunate at the 98 world cup.
    The fact that Beckham kicked out at Diego simeone and got sent off was a major factor that game because he had england playing as a team and also wasnt a afraid to drop players like he did with Gascoigne.

His interview on Sky is the biggest bitch interview Ive ever witnessed

Passing the buck on everything

Such a coward of a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

niallo27 wrote: »
    How do you pick these core players though, should we have kept the U-17 irish team that came third in the world together. Most of them faded to nothing.

I would say yes it would be worth a five/six year wait.

How do you pick the players?
    Players that fit the system that the country traditionally plays. For example Ireland 4-4-2 workrate - determination.

Admittedly this would be more difficult for England to do as they have a much larger playing pool with new flavour's of the month as another poster said. Also England change thier formation a lot depending on the manager.

I still think there is a lot to be said for a group of players who have played with each other for years as youngsters.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Mike Bassett for England manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Of the list of managere they have had over the last number of years Glenn hoddle springs out to me as the best of that bunch , I think he was very unfortunate at the 98 world cup.
    The fact that Beckham kicked out at Diego simeone and got sent off was a major factor that game because he had england playing as a team and also wasnt a afraid to drop players like he did with Gascoigne.

+1 on Hoddle, I think he was the best of that bunch till the media hounded him out of the job. Venables a close 2nd imo. Though how long has it been since they both managed a team? I think they've both been off the managerial roundabout at least a decade each?

Must say it was funny watching a riled up Alan Shearer on the BBC last night throw his hat in the ring. The guy is nothing more than a hurler on the ditch. He said he had approached the FA a few years back and pitched for the job and they refused him. He seemed angry about that but if he really wanted to manage England then why didn't he stay on in the Newcastle job for a few years and prove his worth? He didn't do that and then just swans up to the FA and demands the England job when he only has a few months actual experience as a first team manager. And now he's at it again lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sure look lads I'll give it a lash. Can't be much worse.

Said Alan Shearer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The penny finally dropping with people about uncle Roy, should've listened to the Liverpool fans a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Fergie for England?

Immediately what I thought, David Gill is on the selection panel aswell. Fergie will never take it though and hes right. Although he is probably the perfect guy for it.

England play scared and they have for years. Its a cliche at this stage but the English media are absolutely terrifying in how they can ruin people. Even hard noses like Fabio Capello felt the heat as too much.

Under those constraints you simply cannot be your own man and manage how you want. And thats what they need, someone with a plan who will manage it exactly how he wants. If he wants to drop Rooney he will. If he wants to drop Sturridge he can. And he doesn't give a sh*te about answering questions as to why.

The players are almost coached into wanting to put across the image that playing for their country is so important to them. Its incredibly forced, but under the pressure cooker atmosphere it simply cant be something they enjoy. Even watching the national anthem is a cringe inducing experience, man for man they are belting out god save the queen because lord knows if they dont the red top rags will have some gutter piece about how Rooney isn't patriotic if he doesn't sing. And the little englander general public will lap this nonsense up and in turn the player is vilified.

I don't buy the argument that they don't have the players. They have always had the players. So many top quality players who failed to produce in an England shirt is staggering. John Barnes is a notable one. Theres no cohesion, they almost have too much of a pool to choose from. A flavour of the month always pops up and theres public will for them to make the squad, even the starting XI. Some big names are constantly picked despite underperforming, whilst lesser lights who may turn out to be key players if given a prolonged run are bombed out after one poor performance. And they know they only get one shot at it.

They also try and shoe horn the best club players into a functional starting XI, playing Gerrard and Lampard for so long together is a prime example, when really a strong manager with a clear vision won't give a damn about the big egos, he will pick a balanced side with few individuals and more quality players with a mentality of sacrificing themselves for the team when the going gets tough.

You would also have to wonder do they ever get the chemistry right in England camps. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man utd, Arsenal, Spurs, these clubs always provide the bulk of squad members. Maybe the old club rivalry thing does have legs and some of these guys don't perform to their optimum when stuck in longer camps with guys they don't like. It sounds petty, but that is something that should be explored when the next inquest takes a forensic look as to why failure has occurred again. They have no problem qualifying for tournaments when players probably spend no more than a week at a time together. Put them in a camp for 2-4 weeks or more and the wheels always come off.

The best individuals don't always make the best XI, and England don't seem to understand that. They have very few genuine leaders who can handle the weight of the nations expectations, and they are only too happy to run back to their clubs to be pampered again and built up when things fall apart on England duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Definitely under sixty - okay I'll make an exception if Fergie applies - and preferably successful at major European league level. I would like to see more foreigners on the list. Too many of the usual suspects there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    +1 on Hoddle, I think he was the best of that bunch till the media hounded him out of the job.

He wasn't hounded out of the job, the comments he made were fúcking disgraceful and his position (rightly) became untenable. He fúcked it up himself.

But I agree with your first point, he was in the process of doing a good job there.

kfallon wrote: »
    He wasn't hounded out of the job, the comments he made were fúcking disgraceful and his position (rightly) became untenable. He fúcked it up himself.

But I agree with your first point, he was in the process of doing a good job there.

Yeah.

It's like people just forgot how bad his comments were. They were completely and utterly insane. They were unacceptable. He can only blame himself. You'd want to be winning the World Cup before coming out with "disabled people kinda had it coming" and having a mystic/faith healer in the camp and hoping it'll go unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No denying hoddle has a good football brain and would have a clear idea of the direction of the side but he hasn't managed in what 10/12 years?

Its 17 years ago since he made those comments, I think he should be allowed move on and take up this position if it is offered to him.

rob316 wrote: »
    No denying hoddle has a good football brain and would have a clear idea of the direction of the side but he hasn't managed in what 10/12 years?

Its 17 years ago since he made those comments, I think he should be allowed move on and take up this position if it is offered to him.

Oh wasn't saying he can't move on. Merely that it wasn't some flippant comment that should have been excused at that time.

He can move on...but what surely counts against him is the decade out of management you referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Will Hoddle still take the corners in training like last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Definitely under sixty - okay I'll make an exception if Fergie applies - and preferably successful at major European league level. I would like to see more foreigners on the list. Too many of the usual suspects there.

The English people are already angry enough as it is with the FA and English team. Irrespective of the best potential candidates not being English, I'd imagine there'd be huge objection to the appointment of a foreign coach in the current climate over there. I can't see the FA rowing against the tide on this

ERG89 wrote: »
    Will Hoddle still take the corners in training like last time?

A better option than Harry Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd love to see Wenger getting it, if only so I don't have to listen to Arsenal fans moan about him anymore.

I'd be happy with Southgate though. Decent England career, I like the way his U21 team play football and he has worked with the majority of the young players in the squad. In the absence of any really outstanding candidates he'd be my preference (assuming Wenger & Ferguson aren't options).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The same southgate that has never won anything and never managed at a high level?

I think that would be a massive risk. It's one thing to get embarrassed at the last 16 of a tournament. It's another thing all together to fail to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Southgate - "Now watch closely, boys. Here's how you don't take a penalty."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I'd love Wenger to get it so we could stop the cope it is the manager to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the names of the possible candidates are laughable and I cant see any of the top notch candidates touching it with a barge poll. It was said years ago the role was seen as a prestigious one, I'd call it a laughable roll now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Kirby wrote: »
    The same southgate that has never won anything and never managed at a high level?

I think that would be a massive risk. It's one thing to get embarrassed at the last 16 of a tournament. It's another thing all together to fail to qualify.

He managed (and relegated) Middlesbrough in the PL.

But yeah, he's crap.

Kirby wrote: »

Winning things and managing at a high level are down to the opportunities that you're given (freakish cases like Ranieri this season aside). Managing at club level and managing at International level are vastly different jobs anyway.

Again, I like the way his team play football and he has done a good job with the U21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

LiamoSail wrote: »

The English people are already angry enough as it is with the FA and English team. Irrespective of the best potential candidates not being English, I'd imagine there'd be huge objection to the appointment of a foreign coach in the current climate over there. I can't see the FA rowing against the tide on this

A sad commentary on how things are over there.

A sad commentary on how things are over there.

It's also not true. Some mindless morons using BREXIT as an excuse to be mindless morons doesn't make the overwhelming majority of us racists. If the right candidate happens to be foreign then so be it.

Obviously the preference would be for an English coach all things being equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is this what he said?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/30/newsstory.sport7

Or is there more to it? I was only a child back in 99' :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can see Southgate struggling to command the respect of senior players in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the names of the possible candidates are laughable and I cant see any of the top notch candidates touching it with a barge poll. It was said years ago the role was seen as a prestigious one, I'd call it a laughable roll now...
    England are at an all-time low. The next manager gets a free ride as long as they qualify for the World Cup. There won't be much expectation with this team after what happened against Iceland. There might be hope but that is as far as it will go.

Great job for a good coach to take now. If they fail he walks away with his reputation intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote:
    Great job for a good coach to take now. If they fail he walks away with his reputation intact.

England are at an all-time low. The next manager gets a free ride as long as they qualify for the World Cup. There won't be much expectation with this team after what happened against Iceland. There might be hope but that is as far as it will go.

To an outsider or to someone with a level head, yes.

But expectations for an England manager will never be "not much", nor will they ever walk away from a failed tenure with their reputation in tact.

Hodgson was always going to fail miserably.

He's pretty clueless and was found out badly at the Euros.

That team didn't even have fight in them. Easily bullied.

The lack of ideas was frightening.

He has no balls either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Hodgson was always going to fail miserably.

He's pretty clueless and was found out badly at the Euros.

That team didn't even have fight in them. Easily bullied.

The lack of ideas was frightening.

He has no balls either

I love seeing crap like this. He may not be Mourinho but his track record is excellent. He's done great jobs with a number of national teams, Fulham, West Brom and he's managed Inter Milan. Clueless people don't get to do that.

I find it breathtakingly arrogant that lads at the end of a keyboard (not just the one above) who've achieved nothing in the game can call a man like Hodgson "clueless", "a fraud" or some other Dunphyism.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I love seeing crap like this. He may not be Mourinho but his track record is excellent. He's done great jobs with a number of national teams, Fulham, West Brom and he's managed Inter Milan. Clueless people don't get to do that.

I find it breathtakingly arrogant that lads at the end of a keyboard (not just the one above) who've achieved nothing in the game can call a man like Hodgson "clueless", "a fraud" or some other Dunphyism.

His win ratio as England manager was far better than Robson and Venables, who will no doubt be remembered by the media as greats in coverage at the moment.

But he had a terrible Euros and it was right to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

His win ratio as England manager was far better than Robson and Venables, who will no doubt be remembered by the media as greats in coverage at the moment.

And a dreadful world cup.

DeanAustin wrote: »

Ouch you got me

He has failed at every big job he got including Inter

Hodgson told Roberto Carlos he would never make it as a lb

At every tournament with England he failed

Ill cut him some slack for the first one

He was hired as a yes man who would pander to the needs of the English fa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

International football has changed hugely since El tel and Robson were there. Lots of smaller countries in Europe now, seeded qualifications means it's highly improbable that the likes of England don't qualify for these tournaments. Woy left inter around 20 years ago and mainly knocked around lower level clubs like West brom and Fulham where success was not being relegated. He was found out at Liverpool where he was completely out of his depth, and if ingerland had any ambition he would have not gotten within an asses roar of their job. 3 tournaments, getting progressively worse. A yes man who pandered to media and senior players in team selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was watching SSN, the genius that is Ray Wilkins was talking about England and compared Wayne Rooney's performance in midfield similar to that of Paul Scholes. SSN's choice of pundits/experts is pretty awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Benitez is man for England. He would get them to the end of tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bielsa would have ben perfect for this job....

Too bad he is and Argentine and otherwise engaged now.

Benitez is man for England. He would get them to the end of tournaments.

He's foreign, places a large emphasis on tactics and utilises zonal marking. Three traits that the English find unforgivable.

If England were to lose under him, particularly were they to concede to a set piece, the knifes would be out. No passion, zonal marking etc he'd be hammered for it. Although I do agree he'd be good at the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capello was foreign. Benitez is tailor made for international football.
    He shows attention to detail, plays to win not compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm actually starting to get a bit worried that the FA might make a sensible decision and go after Allardyce.

I'm hoping his opinionated and strong-willed manner, along with his somewhat unfair reputation for the style of football he plays (and the elephant in the room which would be unleahshed by the media as soon as he signs on the dotted line - his dealings with agents) will all work against him, but if offered the job he would 100% take it IMO and I couldn't blame him as it has been a long term goal for him and would be the perfect way to end his career. He would also come very cheap (in relative terms) as he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Allardyce to England, Moyes to Sunderland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

In international football your win ratio means nothing really. For a team like England (Or any other team in the world's top 20) It all comes down to how you perform in major tournaments. Qualifying is about just that, actually qualifying, whether or not you have a 100% record as Hodgson had or just scrape in the door makes no difference once you get there. It's all about your performance for that month every two years.

That's why Robson and Venables will be remembered far more fondly. They reached semi finals of a major tournament.

Obviously for the likes of ourselves or Northern Ireland or Scotland who don't qualify every time, qualifying campaigns take on a greater significance and qualifying for the tournament is always the primary goal. The likes of England pretty much take qualification as a given (and in fairness they're right to given they've only missed probably one tournament in the last 30 years or so) and so a manager will be ranked solely on his performance at the major tournaments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

CmCk2K0WIAANFKv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thats fake ...the player has come out and said so himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Shouldn't need the player to come out and say so. People are so gullible. It's always a product of the brilliant @WeahsCousin on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Scolari has put his name forward

• Advertisement
Advertisement