Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Klinsmann now the bookies favourite. I think Brexit will have an influence and just can't see a German getting it while they go through an acrimonious divorce. I'd make Hoddle favourite if he can be forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

David Brailsford's name linked to it... That would be unexpected, and extremely interesting. The whiff of Clive Woodward off it is strong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Klinssman would be a fantastic appoinment alot of Germany's current success is because of the foundations he built when he was the national coach there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

David Brailsford's name linked to it... That would be unexpected, and extremely interesting. The whiff of Clive Woodward off it is strong though.

That would be idiotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

LMAO Klinsmann is terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Klinssman would be a fantastic appoinment alot of Germany's current success is because of the foundations he built when he was the national coach there

I dunno

I think he just got on when the years of hard work with development started to come through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sterling has shown the mentality of some of the English players,he has done a "Lescott" on it and posted a snapchat tour of the bling in his gaff and his fleet of cars with the message "My team winning :cool: "

We can all criticise Hodgson's tactics but when one of the worst performers in the team has his priorities elsewhere then the man was always on a loser.Imagine Italian players under Conte acting that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm actually starting to get a bit worried that the FA might make a sensible decision and go after Allardyce.

I'm hoping his opinionated and strong-willed manner, along with his somewhat unfair reputation for the style of football he plays (and the elephant in the room which would be unleahshed by the media as soon as he signs on the dotted line - his dealings with agents) will all work against him, but if offered the job he would 100% take it IMO and I couldn't blame him as it has been a long term goal for him and would be the perfect way to end his career. He would also come very cheap (in relative terms) as he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Allardyce to England, Moyes to Sunderland?

Has a team of good players ever played the Big Sam way?
    Or has hoofball always been reserved exclusively for the weaker teams.

I ask because hoofball can yield results for the weaker teams, so if you had really good players doing it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

timmyntc wrote: »
    Has a team of good players ever played the Big Sam way?
    Or has hoofball always been reserved exclusively for the weaker teams.

I ask because hoofball can yield results for the weaker teams, so if you had really good players doing it...

I think Sam had West Ham playing good football. Of course that suddenly stopped 2/3rds of the way through the season when they were already safe from relegation and the players knew he was being replaced so stopped given a toss.

• Advertisement

Shearer has been so so critical of the talent of the players. and he is dead right, stop coping about 'mentality' when you have ****ing eric dier and danny rose in your 11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Big Sam has an awful reputation for this "parking the bus" thing, yet Jose Mourinho is the bestest ever for doing the same thing..

Sam's Bolton team, and west ham team played some lovley football at times, and were very good defensively. He also gets lots of goals from set peices.

Sam is the best man for the job. If only he was called Allerdici eh..

Mec27 wrote:
    Shearer has been so so critical of the talent of the players. and he is dead right, stop coping about 'mentality' when you have ****ing eric dier and danny rose in your 11.

Eric Dier was England's best player for the 3 an half games he played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eric Dier was England's best player for the 3 an half games he played

I thought he was wildly overrated by the English media myself. The Telegraph I think had a column calling him the English Busquets ffs.

I thought he was wildly overrated by the English media myself. The Telegraph I think had a column calling him the English Busquets ffs.

Wouldn't go that far but I do think he played well in all 3 group games. Broke up attacks and played the ball quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Wouldn't go that far but I do think he played well in all 3 group games. Broke up attacks and played the ball quickly.

I don't know, he did fine but with the way all of England's games turned out I think it was sort of easy to look good in his position. I say this because all of England's opponents sat deep and allowed them have the ball, so he didn't have much defending to do and had lots of time to play a pass. I think virtually any half decent midfielder would look good in this role.

Could only properly judge him if they came up against a team that attacked them more and had parity in terms of possession.

A lot easier look good as the holding midfielder againts Slovakia and a dreadful Russia than it was say for James McCarthy against France when there was wave after wave of French attacks to deal with.

But having said all that, Dier did what was required of him and scored a belter of a free kick so he can hold his head high.

• Advertisement

If they failed, we'd all say "but sure his background was cycling".

And if they succeeded and started covering huge amounts of ground and with incredible power outputs and generally acting like athletes with a third lung, we'd all say "but sure his background was cycling".

Be nice to see big Sam get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think Gary Neville will be brought back in some capacity under a senior figure like Hoddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm actually starting to get a bit worried that the FA might make a sensible decision and go after Allardyce.

I'm hoping his opinionated and strong-willed manner, along with his somewhat unfair reputation for the style of football he plays (and the elephant in the room which would be unleahshed by the media as soon as he signs on the dotted line - his dealings with agents) will all work against him, but if offered the job he would 100% take it IMO and I couldn't blame him as it has been a long term goal for him and would be the perfect way to end his career. He would also come very cheap (in relative terms) as he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Allardyce to England, Moyes to Sunderland?

Can't see the FA picking Big Sam, they would see him as too much as a relegation battler who wouldn't have the respect of the players or be able to deal with egos (in the FAs mind)
    zerks wrote: »
    Sterling has shown the mentality of some of the English players,he has done a "Lescott" on it and posted a snapchat tour of the bling in his gaff and his fleet of cars with the message "My team winning :cool: "

We can all criticise Hodgson's tactics but when one of the worst performers in the team has his priorities elsewhere then the man was always on a loser.Imagine Italian players under Conte acting that way.

The first thing Pep needs to do at City is get all of Sterlings social media passwords and lock his accounts. He really brings this stuff on himself and makes the trolls job easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fergie is recommending Allardyce to The FA now.

He's going to get it, isn't he? Beyond belief this and could only happen to Sunderland. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Big Sam has an awful reputation for this "parking the bus" thing, yet Jose Mourinho is the bestest ever for doing the same thing..

Sam's Bolton team, and west ham team played some lovley football at times, and were very good defensively. He also gets lots of goals from set peices.

Sam is the best man for the job. If only he was called Allerdici eh..

Dunno about the lovely football bit - especially at West Ham. But to be fair, his sides invariably have at least one star player with the ability to turn a solid team performance into a win. Okocha at Bolton probably the best example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

For the same reason Harry Redknapp couldn't get the England the same applies for Big Sam. He is dodgy as **** and he knows it and the fa know it and won't risk a big Sunday world expose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

England went to Switzerland in qualifying and won 2-0 (September 2014).

http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-seniors/match-stats?season=112016&competition=235&match=747463

Was that their best result in qualifying? Probably.

Look at the team:

Hart, Jones, Baines, Stones, Cahill, Wilshere. Henderson, Delph, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

And the bench:

Forster, Rose, Jagielka, Townsend, Chambers, Ox, Milner, Lambert

For one reason or another, a huge number of that 18 were nowhere near the first team at the Euros. How can you build a team if it shows that much change?

Germany stick with players like Podolski and Schweinstieger who are past their best but know the system. The likes of Wales, Ireland and Iceland have to stick with the same small pool of players because they have no choice.

Hodgson, under media pressure, gambled on this season's form of Spurs and to a lesser extent Leicester players carrying into a tournament. It didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

redzerdrog wrote: »
    For the same reason Harry Redknapp couldn't get the England the same applies for Big Sam. He is dodgy as **** and he knows it and the fa know it and won't risk a big Sunday world expose

You basing that on evidence, rumour or body language? Don't remember ever hearing that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ormus wrote: »
    You basing that on evidence, rumour or body language? Don't remember ever hearing that before.

There was a lot of talk of him (and Phil Gartside) trying to drum up business for a particular dodgy agent a few years ago. I think that Ravel Morrisson signed his own death warrant at West Ham when he refused to sign to that agents roster.

Something like that anyway, others prob know more than me!

Bit more here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2007/nov/07/twentyquestionsforboltonma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If Sam Allardyce gets anywhere near the England National team I'm done with football.

Beefy78 wrote:
    If Sam Allardyce gets anywhere near the England National team I'm done with football.

Why? He's a much better manager than Hodgson, and can't possibly do worse than Roy did

Godge wrote: »

http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-seniors/match-stats?season=112016&competition=235&match=747463

Look at the team:

Hart, Jones, Baines, Stones, Cahill, Wilshere. Henderson, Delph, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

And the bench:

For one reason or another, a huge number of that 18 were nowhere near the first team at the Euros. How can you build a team if it shows that much change?

Germany stick with players like Podolski and Schweinstieger who are past their best but know the system. The likes of Wales, Ireland and Iceland have to stick with the same small pool of players because they have no choice.

Hodgson, under media pressure, gambled on this season's form of Spurs and to a lesser extent Leicester players carrying into a tournament. It didn't work.

dhMeAzK.gif

Why? He's a much better manager than Hodgson, and can't possibly do worse than Roy did

What is this based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

redzerdrog wrote: »

I think Big Sam would be a decent shout for a short term replacement , going back to basics might suit the team/steady the ship .If anything legal kicked off he could do an El Tel and leave the position to spend more time with his lawyers .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Godge wrote: »

Look at the team:

And the bench:

The turnover will be far less from here on I reckon - the Spurs thing is correct
    the team finished the season with form colder than Siberia and having played a lot of high intensity football they were knackered basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ERG89 wrote: »
    Will Hoddle still take the corners in training like last time?

He should play as player manager they would still be better then Kane's attempts! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The likes of England pretty much take qualification as a given (and in fairness they're right to given they've only missed probably one tournament in the last 30 years or so) and so a manager will be ranked solely on his performance at the major tournaments.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_national_football_team#Competitive_record

England failed to qualify for the:
    1964 Euros
    1974 WC
    1972 Euros
    1976 Euros
    1978 WC
    1994 WC
    2008 Euros

When I looked it up two things struck me.

1) the arrogance of not entering the world cup until 1950, they also did not enter the Euros until the second one in 1964.

2) When English club teams were dominating European club football in the 70's
    and early 80's the English national team's record was not great to say the least!

It showed me two things England have always been full of themselves and carried by foreign/non-English players.

Until this English mentality changes the manager's job is a thankless one.

I would not feel sorry for any new England manager because they are well paid for entering the circus.

How were the FA in the 1930s supposed to know what some new French tournament was going to turn into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wherebwere you in 2008? :p

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How were the FA in the 1930s supposed to know what some new French tournament was going to turn into?

Fair point. But they did not learn thier lesson in 1960 when they did not enter the Euros either.
    They also did not enter the European Cup (now champions league) until later then other nations as well.

I think competitions outside of England were seen to be beneath them as fathers of the beautiful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Think some of the posts on here just an opportunity to slag the English TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fair point. But they did not learn thier lesson in 1960 when they did not enter the Euros either.
    They also did not enter the European Cup (now champions league) until later then other nations as well.

I think competitions outside of England were seen to be beneath them as fathers of organizing and structuring the rules of the beautiful game, football having been played in places like Italy years before it became common in England..

Fixed that for you. :)

Think some of the posts on here just an opportunity to slag the English TBH.

They do that brilliantly themselves they are world champions at that until the next manager.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Harry Redknapp would do a good job for England, and would have done a better one than Hodgson did imo. Pushing on in years now though ( 69 )

Such a hard job for a successor. Roy had the perfect qualification campaign so even doing that in the WC qualifiers won't count for much.

Harry Redknapp would do a good job for England, and would have done a better one than Hodgson did imo.

You mean get to one extra measly round before being beaten by the superior French team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mec27 wrote: »
    You mean get to one extra measly round before being beaten by the superior French team?

Nope, contrary to some I actually rate Redknapp. I think he'd get the most out of the players available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mec27 wrote: »

Going out in the 2nd round vs going out in the quarters is one thing. Going out to Iceland (who only have around 45,000 males* between the ages of playing age in the whole country, and that's including the disabled, overweight, unfit, sick, etc... and of course those with just no interest) vs going out to host nation France on the other hand...

*A rough estimate. Their last census have 23,000 males 15-24 (so rounded down to 20k to exclude 15 year old) and 65,000 males aged 25-54 (so I took slightly over 1/3rd to represent 25-36/37 year olds - 25,000).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ormus wrote: »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/allardyce-took-bungs-claims-bbc-investigation-416671.html

• Advertisement

Fergie is recommending Allardyce to The FA now.

I'd say most Scottish folk are.

Does Sam Allardyce even talk to the BBC?

He certainly refused to for a long time after Panorama made the claim that he had taken bungs.

Either way, surely the FA won't want that can of worms opened, leaving them with egg all over their faces, mixaphorically speaking.

And no wonder Alex Ferguson overlooks that little problem, he had his own issues with revelations on BBC and refusals to deal with that station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Anyone mentioned Mark Chapman as someone who could be brought in to the senior men's management?

Sorry that of course should have been Samson, wouldn't mind but I looked it up beforehand..,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/02/england-euro-2016-friction-roy-hodgson-gary-neville

The shop steward at it again! Probably right in this case
    England’s Euro 2016 campaign was undermined by a deterioration in the working relationship between Roy Hodgson and Gary Neville and a series of disagreements among the coaching staff, the Observer can reveal.

While the England players bonded well during the tournament, it has emerged there was friction behind the scenes when it came to Hodgson and members of his backroom staff.

Although the relevant people all have considerable respect for one another, in the worst moments there was a clear divide about the team’s methods and, in particular, signs of tension between Hodgson and Neville.

Others became involved, with Hodgson’s methods openly being questioned by his own staff. “The players got on fine,” this newspaper has been told. “It was the coaches who fell out.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned Mark Chapman as someone who could be brought in to the senior men's management?

Which Mark Chapman.

The one who killed John Lennon or the fella on the BBC?

I can't imagine either would be much help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement