Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Et Tu Gary!

One trait the team of 92 seem to have, is the instinct for self preservation. Giggsy smelt the breeze with both Moyes, and LVG, distancing himself when results went South. It was said this played a big part in Jose wanting him gone from United. Now Neville does it to Woy. I've no truck with Hodgson, but if Neville is part of the ticket, STFU and don't be leaking stories when things go wrong. If things were that bad, either fix it or resign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

One trait the team of 92 seem to have, is the instinct for self preservation. Giggsy smelt the breeze with both Moyes, and LVG, distancing himself when results went South. It was said this played a big part in Jose wanting him gone from United. Now Neville does it to Woy. I've no truck with Hodgson, but if Neville is part of the ticket, STFU and don't be leaking stories when things go wrong. If things were that bad, either fix it or resign.

How did Giggs 'distance' himself from LVG? Far as I could see, he was still sitting next to him every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

How did Giggs 'distance' himself from LVG? Far as I could see, he was still sitting next to him every game.

Remember at Norwich in particular him up on the technical area giving it loads, pointing and shouting and generally perceived to be giving a narrative of "look at Louis, sitting there while I'm trying to push the guys on". Something similar happened before moyes left too.

Has been reported as part of the reason Jose wanted rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't quite see the problem to be honest. Hodgson had an appalling Euros, from squad selection to team selection, from tactical choices to player motivation, he made a total hash of the whole thing and I would fully expect a strong assistant to have issues with some of the choices made.

You'll note none of this came out during the tournament so it was obviously kept between the coaches themselves, and Neville walking away from the squad during the Euros would have been far more disruptive to the team, so he didn't really have that option either. Far to simplistic to say he should have either changed it or walked.

So whats the problem? Should Neville say nothing while Hodgson brings underperforming players to the tournament, ditches all the tactics used over the past two years and tries to play strikers on the wing and midfielders in defence? Of course not, he was there to have input and it doesn't surprise me at all that he spoke up about these things. Considering the mess Hodgson made those things needed saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Remember at Norwich in particular him up on the technical area giving it loads, pointing and shouting and generally perceived to be giving a narrative of "look at Louis, sitting there while I'm trying to push the guys on". Something similar happened before moyes left too.

Has been reported as part of the reason Jose wanted rid.

Your posts on this subject read like a tabloid article. "It was said..." "It was generally perceived..." "The class of 92 have a talent for self preservation..." names 2 of the 6 or so who are part of that group. It's just lazy generalisations and half baked theories presented as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Independent and others reporting that Allardyce is the only English candidate being considered. If we lose him to England I think it might be the final straw for me. It has been hard at times to take much more but when things finally look like turning for the better and for this to happen I couldn't see a way back...... :(

In more positive news for Sunderland, they do say that Wenger and Blanc are favoured ahead of Sam. There's no chance Wenger will take it but surely if Blanc is offered it he will snap the FA's hands off, won't he? :( Klinsmann remains the bookies favourite too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

They should give it to Lagerback for 2 years.

Big Sam looking more likley. He will be the most successful manager since El Tell or even since 66. I hope he gets the job

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/750086781970841600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I like Big Sam but surely they won't give him the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The "senior" players such as England has (m)any these days were apparently agitating for a foreign coach of quality, not sure if that included Arsene Wenger who'll be out of contract in a year. Maybe they could get by with someone like Hoddle as an interim if he were interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Please let it be Big Sam.

The "senior" players such as England has (m)any these days were apparently agitating for a foreign coach of quality, not sure if that included Arsene Wenger who'll be out of contract in a year. Maybe they could get by with someone like Hoddle as an interim if he were interested.

Wenger would be a shocking appointment, He has built mentally weak sides for 15 years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Big Sam would make a brilliant international manager. International football is all about good organisation and set tactics. He is a very good one-off game manager.

Roberto Mancini interested according to the Guardain, one year left on his Inter contract. that club has just been bought out by a Chinese group.
    Roberto Mancini would be interested in taking on the England manager’s role vacated by Roy Hodgson following the side’s elimination from the European Championship but Harry Redknapp has been ruled out.

Mancini, the Internazionale manager, is keen to explore the possibility of returning to England where a successful four-year spell in charge of Manchester City brought a Premier League title and an FA Cup. His position at San Siro has been cast into some doubt after a takeover by the Chinese retail giant Suning Commerce Group Co Ltd, which has taken a 70% stake in the club at a cost of £220m. Mancini has a year to run on his contract in his second spell in charge of Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be hard to see them going Italian again after Capello but I like Mancini I think he would be a good appointment. They could do an awful lot worse lets be honest.

First manager Pep Guardiola names in his presser today?

"The Big Sam"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

England has decent individual players but they lack cohesion, balance and organization. Sam Allardyce would be a sound choice for the job given his strengths as a manager is what England is sorely lacking.

He certainly wouldnt have entertained the idea of Harry Kane on set pieces outside of a training pitch

They could get the marketing department of Ronseal to sell the idea to the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I always thought Sam's biggest strength was his eye for a bargain in the transfer market, particularly getting one last hurrah out of ageing foreign stars.

Don't really see him excelling at a job based purely on his tactical nous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I always thought Sam's biggest strength was his eye for a bargain in the transfer market, particularly getting one last hurrah out of ageing foreign stars.

I take it Pardew is a compete non-starter? Pity, would have been a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

First manager Pep Guardiola names in his presser today?

"The Big Sam"

sounds like a burger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big Sam's biggest strength is defensive organisation. After that he can get a team playing good football if he has the players to do it. At West Ham in his last season they started out playing really nice football but when a couple of injuries hit he returned to a less attractive style of football. At Bolton Wanderers when he got Okocha they played nice football.

Everybody that plays for him works very hard.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

roy hodgson could get another chance

It's a foreigners turn.

Fail and then the call for an English manager.

Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I taught the english didnt want to be managed by the Germans anymore? #brexit:pac:

what about louis van gaal?

or moysie?

or alan deperdieu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What's Joe Kinnear up to these days?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    What's Joe Kinnear up to these days?

Opened a kebab house in Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They need someone who can make them actually play as a team. Someone that can build a bit of unity, and instill faith in each other.

Perhaps Marcelo Bielsa, since he just left Lazio. He could maybe get them to stop being so utterly stupid in attack. Get the to keep the ball on the ground, and get it into dangerous areas, to feet. The only time they looked genuinely incisive in the whole tournament was Sturridge's last minute goal against Wales, running at the defence, playing the ball to feet, and getting the layoff. THAT is what they need to do, especially against lesser teams.

Having said that, I think they could do worse than Lars Lagerback. Knows the international game inside and out. Can get guys playing for each other, and won't suffer fools or prima-donna's. Would have him ahead of Big Sam for a similar type of game, but ideally I think they should be going for a more attacking guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big Sam would make a brilliant international manager. International football is all about good organisation and set tactics. He is a very good one-off game manager.

For Iceland, or Georgia or Macedonia perhaps, but his brand or organization will make them less than the sum of their parts should be. Like Jack Charlton with Ireland. it was organized, and effective, but someone else could have gotten a lot more out of the collective. England have the players to play much better than Sam's brand of football. I agree that they need someone with a strong ethos though, but I think they should be bringing in someone with a much more cultured, intelligent, incisive attacking philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Id love to see Pardew too, I actually think he would be okay but when it eventually goes wrong the entertainment would be classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well Bielsa just quit Lazio after 2 days in charge.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Well Bielsa just quit Lazio after 2 days in charge.......

Argentina job is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maradona for England

It looks like Allardyce will probably get it. Straight fight between him and Klinsmann with a decision made within 2 weeks, per The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/10/sam-allardyce-interview-england-job

As a Sunderland fan, it's just sickening. Finally get the man we've long needed and he gets snatched away less than a year later. So, so frustrating. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paully D wrote: »
    It looks like Allardyce will probably get it. Straight fight between him and Klinsmann with a decision made within 2 weeks, per The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/10/sam-allardyce-interview-england-job

As a Sunderland fan, it's just sickening. Finally get the man we've long needed and he gets snatched away less than a year later. So, so frustrating. :(

Agreed, would be a disaster for Sunderland. He will almost certainly keep them up if he stays, roll of the dice on a new manager is not what that club needs now.

Not sure how he'd fare as England manager. He has been a bit of a figure of fun and a target for the media in the past and I suspect they'd be on his case very quickly if he gets off to a rocky start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Has to be a joke surely. Big Sam and Klinnsman are the only contenders? Mike Bassett must have turned them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

From a betting perspective the 2 of them have shortened in hours, Klinsmann at 9/4 fav and Sam at 2/1. Howe is 9/1 so if the bookies are too be believed then it's between those two.

The Telegraph are now reporting that The FA are intent on hiring an English manager.

Allardyce has it if that's the case. It's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It appears as if Big Sam will be interviewed for the England job. Why?? He clearly has a high opinion of himself but has no real achievements to his name - in terms of winning trophies. Are the F.A. simply intent on appointing a high profile Englishman rather than a better qualified foreign candidate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shhhhhh......this will be comedy gold in Russia 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

All I would say is that he clearly gives teams some confidence and bottle as he's got quite a few out of relegation trouble, a situation where it's easy for players to freeze and panic. This is kind of like what England look like in any game that matters. Iceland was an utter bottle job, they saw the headlines as soon as their first went in so maybe Big Sam would at least change that a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

chicorytip wrote: »
    It appears as if Big Sam will be interviewed for the England job. Why?? He clearly has a high opinion of himself but has no real achievements to his name - in terms of winning trophies. Are the F.A. simply intent on appointing a high profile Englishman rather than a better qualified foreign candidate?

If Klinsmann is the better qualified candidate, on paper, then Allardyce would be a better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why not consider the likes of Loew or Deschamps who clearly can both oversee teams that are organised, motivated and play attractive, attacking football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why not consider the likes of Loew or Deschamps who clearly can both oversee teams that are organised, motivated and play attractive, attacking football?

Would they want the job??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think a non Brit would make life so much easier, from a media point of view it's a hell on earth job for anyone from the UK.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote:

Why would a German world cup winning coach quit Germany for England where he's almost guaranteed to fail? Same for Deschamps and France.

Advertisement