Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson Has Resigned - Next England Manager Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw on sky sports news that Steve Bruce is one of the contenders now along with allerdyce....

I think passion is the buzz word now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm no fan of Allardyce but he would be far better than Bruce.

Allardyce can consitently keep teams in the Premier League. He's a motivator, he gets players doing their job and he knows how to organise a team. His football isn't pretty but I do have a grudging respect for him.

Bruce is a chequebook manager, he always spends big money. He never properly established teams in the Prem either. It always came off the rails after a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

IS thee anythign to be said for Brendan Rodgers?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

IS thee anythign to be said for Brendan Rodgers?
    :D they might as well say another mass in Parkhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If Sam Allardyce gets the England job it would be same as Mike Bassett getting the job

Andy Carroll will be up front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

If Sam Allardyce gets the England job it would be same as Mike Bassett getting the job

Maybe they need a manager who has his own ideals and just runs with it rather than pandering over overated crap like eric dier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

England going for another English manager (due to latent xenophobia) would result in even more failure.

They should be striving to get the best man for the job, not the best English man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

England going for another English manager (due to latent xenophobia).

Christ.... the FAI better ditch O'Neill/Keane before the word gets out that Delaney is a racist!

Christ.... the FAI better ditch O'Neill/Keane before the word gets out that Delaney is a racist!

I don't recall the general consensus at the time being 'we need an Irishman in charge' like the nonsense being spouted from your mainland across the water.

How exactly does having an Englishman in charge make them better on the pitch? Sam Allardyce is now the best manager in the world to take them forward?

It's laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, don't think we've ever had a nationalistic bent to managerial appointments. Sure we appointed an England World Cup Winner 30 years ago!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MON is from the UK anyway ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Unfashionable perhaps, but Allardyce is a good manager who has probably never really failed at a job he's been in.

I think he'd be a great appointment for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• never relegated
    • gets good results from limited players
    • players seem to really play for him
    • despite the nonsense spouted by know-nothings in the press and elsewhere, he isn't just a longball merchant
    • blazed a trail and still believes in all that sports science stuff
    • actually wants the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• never relegated
    • despite the nonsense spouted by know-nothings in the press and elsewhere, he isn't just a longball merchant
    • actually wants the job

As much as I still think he or anyone else would be doomed to failure, I'd definitely agree that Allardyce is a good manager who would be a decent appointment for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How come he has has never really progressed a club? He seems to do the bare minimum expected of him but never anything more than that.

So it will be same ol same ol for England. Will qualify for tournaments handy enough then made a bollocks of things at the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• never relegated
    • actually wants the job
    This is exactly something Paddy Power would post tbh.

It is this a joke or reasons you think he is a good apointment lol. Allardyce's only job at any sort of big club was Newcastle & he failed badly.

gimmick wrote: »
    How come he has has never really progressed a club? He seems to do the bare minimum expected of him but never anything more than that.

So it will be same ol same ol for England. Will qualify for tournaments handy enough then made a bollocks of things at the tournament.

What about Bolton and West Han? Bolton were s nothing club in division 1 that he transformed into a midtable PL side. Similarly West Ham, he brought them up and established them as a PL midtable club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

LiamoSail wrote: »
    What about Bolton and West Han? Bolton were s nothing club in division 1 that he transformed into a midtable PL side. Similarly West Ham, he brought them up and established them as a PL midtable club.

Bolton were a top 10 team under his tenure

MD1990 wrote: »
    This is exactly something Paddy Power would post tbh.

It is this a joke or reasons you think he is a good apointment lol. Allardyce's only job at any sort of big club was Newcastle & he failed badly.

He didn't fail at Newcastle. He was sacked when Ashley took over because he wasn't Ashley's man. Their subsequent relegation suggests it wasn't one of Ashley's better decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

he definitely progressed Bolton, until they decided they didn't need progressing any more.

and calling out Newcastle where deludo fans ran him out of the place, and he was clearly being hampered by idiot owners is not really very smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

and calling out Newcastle where deludo fans ran him out of the place

Well if he gets this job he's probably gonna have a lot more deluded fans to satisfy!

he definitely progressed Bolton, until they decided they didn't need progressing any more.

and calling out Newcastle where deludo fans ran him out of the place, and he was clearly being hampered by idiot owners is not really very smart

Sam walked away from Bolton as he felt he out grew it.

Regarding West Ham, he was brought in to get the promoted. He did in the play offs. Any half decent manager would have done the same. A good manager would have done it automatically. They lifted no trees under him in the premier league. He left and Bilic had them in touching distance of a CL spot.

One top ten premier league finish and zero trophies in 20+ years can get you a lot nowadays it seems.

Sam walked away from Bolton as he felt he out grew it.

Regarding West Ham, he was brought in to get the promoted. He did in the play offs. Any half decent manager would have done the same. A good manager would have done it automatically. They lifted no trees under him in the premier league. He left and Bilic had them in touching distance of a CL spot.

One top ten premier league finish and zero trophies in 20+ years can get you a lot nowadays it seems.

He walked away from Bolton after something like eight or ten years there, he definitely progressed them as a club.

He did a solid job at Weat Ham. It's true that you'd have expected them to get promoted, but he kept them up and established them as a midtable PL side. He's no Arsene Wenger obviously, but that's certainly a credible achievement

Ok, Bolton is not really in question. He did a good job there over a decade ago (thats as big a climb down as Im willing to take :p)

West Ham. Did the bare minimum expected. We saw what Bilic did once Sam left.

He kept Sunderland up. So did Paulo Di Canio in recent years. So thats nothing much of a big deal IMO.

I am actually kind of glad he is getting the England job. His inevitable failure will be hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I don't recall the general consensus at the time being 'we need an Irishman in charge' like the nonsense being spouted from your mainland across the water.

How exactly does having an Englishman in charge make them better on the pitch? Sam Allardyce is now the best manager in the world to take them forward?

It's laughable.

That comment and you pseudonym is some oxymoron!

LiamoSail wrote: »
    He walked away from Bolton after something like eight or ten years there, he definitely progressed them as a club.

He did a solid job at Weat Ham. It's true that you'd have expected them to get promoted, but he kept them up and established them as a midtable PL side. He's no Arsene Wenger obviously, but that's certainly a credible achievement

No manager has or ever will get off as lightly as Arsene Wenger. His title wins for a club Arsenals size is simply terrible and their repeated collapses has to be put on him. Very poor. A great footballing man but his time was up in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I was an England fan my main worry with Allardyce getting it is that he'll just see it as a stepping stone to the Real Madrid job.......:pac:

Ok, Bolton is not really in question. He did a good job there over a decade ago (thats as big a climb down as Im willing to take :p)

West Ham. Did the bare minimum expected. We saw what Bilic did once Sam left.

He kept Sunderland up. So did Paulo Di Canio in recent years. So thats nothing much of a big deal IMO.

I am actually kind of glad he is getting the England job. His inevitable failure will be hilarious.

Well it's looking more likely he'll get it now. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but think he'll do alright. We'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Bolton Wanderers...

Nesta99 wrote: »
    That comment and you pseudonym is some oxymoron!

It's not my mainland but the mainland of the person that I was quoting.

Perhaps you need a better grasp of the Queen's English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Mec27 wrote: »
    No manager has or ever will get off as lightly as Arsene Wenger. His title wins for a club Arsenals size is simply terrible and their repeated collapses has to be put on him. Very poor. A great footballing man but his time was up in 2006.

Except the league winners between 2004-2014 were made up of 2 clubs which experienced huge injections of cash allowing them to win their first titles since 1955 and 1968 along the most successful British club of all time featuring the greatest manager of all time at their head. Was forced to act as a feeder club due to financial restrictions during this time, selling his best players every Summer.

Since 2014 I agree his performance has not been up to par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

If Big Sam gets it I would be surprised. He did some good things with Bolton and really progressed but has failed to grow beyond that. A good article which I would agree with on f365 http://www.football365.com/news/no-sam-allardyce-you-couldnt-do-a-leicester

It'll be interesting to see how long he'd last in the role and what style he'd go for tho.

that's the ****test thing i've ever read, I was expecting a balanced and insightful critique of Big Sam, not whatever the **** that was.
    He must have been sickened by that. There’s one difference though, Leicester do it with speed, skill and rapier-like accuracy. They don’t boot it long for Kev Davies to try and score one with his massive bum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Its difficult to find professional journalists who will criticise Allardyce. They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

D'ya know who might not be a bad choice for England manager? Pardew.

And it's absolutely weird to say it given the absolute bile I've spouted about the man over various threads in the last 3-4 years or so.

BUT

He has a knack of going into places and really putting them on an upward curve.

Given the fact that he won't have many games in a calendar year with England he doesn't have the immediate pressure of trying to address a slump.

From London and journalists seem to like him/think he was given a hard time at Newcastle and will get time because they won't be so quick to throw him under a bus I'd imagine.

He'll inherit a pretty young and decent looking England team too.

*vomits*

---

But it'll probably be Allardyce, who isn't exactly the worst choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Its difficult to find professional journalists who will criticise Allardyce. They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.
    Its typical English media, they decide who they will get the most press mileage out of and print stories of why they should get the job, then hound them for every little mistake until the end and the circle starts again. Same happened with Hodgson - only thing was Roy was smart enough to jump before the media could stick the knife in and ruin his career.
    Look at Hoddle - he was ripped apart during the world cup and when he got sacked, massive media storm, now the smoke has died down he was suggested again and all the old news forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

That_Guy wrote: »
    D'ya know who might not be a bad choice for England manager? Pardew.

I suggested this earlier in the thread (first page or two), it would suit him and his ego down to the ground, in my head I think he had some pretty decent cup runs with West Ham, as you know there was no focus on cup runs in Newcastle so unfair to judge him on them. I think he thrives on "short term wins" which would suit international management - he seems to get bored (or found out maybe) relatively quick in domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wonder did mick Mc carthy come into consideration for the vacant job. He could be the ideal candidate for them. Ireland played lovely football under mick but he has had a great team spirit in the squad also.

I wonder did mick Mc carthy come into consideration for the vacant job. He could be the ideal candidate for them. Ireland played lovely football under mick but he has had a great team spirit in the squad also.

This is why I think the importance of a managers abilities are overstated. Someone like Mick McCarthy is stifled as a result of who they are, irregardless of their managerial acumen.
    He'd go into the dressing room and he more than likely would be met with 'who is he?' by the players. A manager needs a certain air of luck, timing and name value, its why when someone like Roberto Di Matteo won the Cl it was down to the players but if Mourinho had won it with them it would have been the ''jose factor''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Just to clear something up.

Allardyce was a total failure at Newcastle. He signed a load of rubbish, poor results and diabolical football. The team that got relegated was full of his signings.

Ashley sacking him was one of his better decisions.

Derby got four points against us ffs. Nuff said.

He did well at Bolton, did ok at West Ham and he did a great job at Sunderland last season to be fair. He's a good manager to a certain level.

England probably can't find better and that's very very damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Reckon Eddie Howe would do a good job

Mec27 wrote: »

1 title between 1953 and 1989?

I think 3 league titles and 6 FA Cups is a decent haul for a club of Arsenal's size. Sure, the huge injections of cash into clubs like Man City and Chelsea have made titles harder to come by, but his record is still excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember him when at Limerick.

Gone from bad to worse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I presume, should he get the job, that there's going to be an inevitable dramatic call up for Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies?

:pac: :D

I remember him when at Limerick.

Gone from bad to worse

Stretchered off on advertising boards afair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Moneymaker wrote: »

Allardyce was a total failure at Newcastle. He signed a load of rubbish, poor results and diabolical football. The team that got relegated was full of his signings.

He did well at Bolton, did ok at West Ham and he did a great job at Sunderland last season to be fair. He's a good manager to a certain level.

Seems to be a recurring theme with pretty much all managers at Newcastle under Ashley.

A problem with the managers or with the club itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Seems to be a recurring theme with pretty much all managers at Newcastle under Ashley.

A problem with the managers or with the club itself?

A fair point. Hughton did well though, as did Keegan til he fell out with Ashley.

More a case of us hiring sub standard managers though. Rafa will hopefully change that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Moneymaker wrote: »

Allardyce got six months at Newcastle. They were mid table. You cannot call him a total failure after six months, especially with his track record. He's done well everywhere he has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You can call him a failure. Dealing with the Newcastle press, satisfying the demand from the fans for a certain style of football and liaising with a demanding chairman were all parts of the job that he had. That the results on the pitch were mediocre (and definitely not 'good') doesn't mean that he wasn't an abject failure in the other parts of the role.

Just as at West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Beefy78 wrote: »
    You can call him a failure. Dealing with the Newcastle press, satisfying the demand from the fans for a certain style of football and liaising with a demanding chairman were all parts of the job that he had. That the results on the pitch were mediocre (and definitely not 'good') doesn't mean that he wasn't an abject failure in the other parts of the role.

Just as at West Ham.

West Ham were in danger of becoming a yo yo club with the Championship and then he came in, got them up, and made them a comfortable mid table side. I fail to see any abject failure there. Bilic came in and moved them to the next level in one season, no guarantee they'll continue as high as they did if the quality of the usual top 4/5 begins to increase again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement