Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passing driving test without your (OWN) car.

Options
  • 28-06-2016 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all, so I've my driving test booked and I'm waiting to get my date & time for it.

The trouble is that while I can drive and I have done all 12 EDT lessons and feel confident in the car, I just have this thing in the back of my mind that I need to be driving constantly every day to get experience under my belt or else I won't pass the driving test. I feel calm about it but my driving instructor said it is difficult to pass if you haven't got your own car, same with my friends. They tell me I'd only pass on the 3rd or 4th time because I haven't got my own car to practice in.

It's a vicious circle because I'm in the debate of getting my own car or more driving lessons. I can afford a car, I just can't afford the insurance like many young people. Apparently the driving school I'm with isn't supposed to take people who haven't got their own car but I must be an exception because like my driving instructor says "I know how to drive", it's just difficult to pass without practice in your own car.

I'm just here to ask if anyone has passed their driving test on lessons alone, is it difficult as everyone says?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is there no one else you can practice with and go under their insurance as a named driver?

Otherwise you'll still need to have someone accompany you with a drivers license for 2 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

If you feel you are a competent driver now just do a few lessons just before your test (for the driving experience/confidence) and you will be fine. I never had the use of a car apart from driving instructors and I think it actually done me good. I never had time to pick up bad habits and passed the test no bother.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

Is there no one else you can practice with and go under their insurance as a named driver?

Otherwise you'll still need to have someone accompany you with a drivers license for 2 years or more.

There's no hope of me getting down as a named driver on a Benz C220 CDI or a Subaru Impreza hatchback with a 2.0 turbo.

h3000 wrote: »
    If you feel you are a competent driver now just do a few lessons just before your test (for the driving experience/confidence) and you will be fine. I never had the use of a car apart from driving instructors and I think it actually done me good. I never had time to pick up bad habits and passed the test no bother.

Yeah I like your point, like my driving instructor said that I shouldn't be watching any of the youtube videos or reading too much into the driving test which would get me worried. I feel confident and i'm sticking to what I have been taught by my driving instructor. I'll get a few lessons once I receive my date and time. I'll just go for it and see what happens I guess. Might get a few practice lessons off my parents aswell in one of their cars doing the reverse around the corner, three point turn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Yeah I like your point, like my driving instructor said that I shouldn't be watching any of the youtube videos or reading too much into the driving test which would get me worried. I feel confident and i'm sticking to what I have been taught by my driving instructor. I'll get a few lessons once I receive my date and time. I'll just go for it and see what happens I guess. Might get a few practice lessons off my parents aswell in one of their cars doing the reverse around the corner, three point turn etc.

Best of luck with it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

h3000 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks!

Advertisement