Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle for Mark : Sat 13th August

Options
  • 28-06-2016 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

(I've cleared posting this with Beasty)

Recently a friend of mine (& several other Boardsies) was involved in an awful, life changing accident. Mark was an avid cyclist, and out on a training spin for this years RAI (having been part of the record breaking Average Joes in 2014).

The accident resulted in a neck fracture and a complete spinal fracture, which has left him paralysed from the waist down. He is currently in rehab undergoing intense physio and learning how to adapt to his new life.

In order for Mark to come home, major adjustments need to be made to his house to make it accessible for him to live in. The current estimate is €65,000 minimum.

Many fundraising events are planned. The first one takes place on 13th August in Maynooth - meeting in the carpark at Tesco at 9am and heading for a leisurely 60k. Water and bananas will be provided. More details will be given closer to the time.

There will be no fee to cycle on the day, instead, all that we ask is that you donate via the Go Fund Me page. No donation is too small, and every cent raised will go towards getting Mark home.

So please check out the Facebook page, the event page, and the Go Fund Me page. And if you could share it with any fellow cyclists (in your club, friends who cycle), or anyone who might be interested in donating, that would be great.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM.

Thanks in advance.
    ----
    Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cycleformark/
    Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/301090080230704/
    Go Fund Me page: https://www.gofundme.com/2b2hxs4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Going to second this - I know Mark and he's one of the nicest guys you can meet. To say we were all in shock on hearing of his accident and injuries would be an understatement. Any and all support is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Just to let people know that this will be a cycling Ireland registered event, fully marshalled junctions, there will be a 20km loop too.

More info will follow as we get it.

Just want to bump this and remind everyone about it.

The 60km route will be from Maynooth to the Hill of Tara and back.

Donation link: https://www.gofundme.com/2b2hxs4

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Bump for this.

Looking forward to the spin this Saturday 13th Aug.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Changed the title to the cycle name in case anyone thinks it is just a thread asking about how to set a cycle up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm thinking I'll head down to this in the morning - just wondering if the start/sign-on is from Tesco Car Park (stated above), or at the National School (stated on FB event page) please? I'm sure I'll find it regardless on the morning, but I'll be tight for time to get there for the 9am start so wanted to bee-line it straight to the car park :)

Thanks,
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

andy69 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I'll head down to this in the morning - just wondering if the start/sign-on is from Tesco Car Park (stated above), or at the National School (stated on FB event page) please? I'm sure I'll find it regardless on the morning, but I'll be tight for time to get there for the 9am start so wanted to bee-line it straight to the car park :)

Thanks,
    Andy

It's the Boys' National School, having moved from Tesco (correct when sullivlo posted that, to be fair), and don't worry about being there a bit after 9, as it's a rolling start from then, not mass start, so you can turn up a bit later and should be ok.

cython wrote: »
    It's the Boys' National School, having moved from Tesco (correct when sullivlo posted that, to be fair), and don't worry about being there a bit after 9, as it's a rolling start from then, not mass start, so you can turn up a bit later and should be ok.
    I'll edit the OP now!

Edit: I can't edit the OP :(

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'll edit the OP now!

Edit: I can't edit the OP :(

Too used to your mod powers :P We normals (and mods outside their own forums) can only edit posts for the first 24 hours after posting, or something like that. Maybe if you report it with the update one of the mods could take care of it?

I don't know what boardsies were there apart from myself, cython and sullivlo. But nearly 800 people turned up and 22k raised on the day. That's in addition to the 43k online. And other money coming from other fundraisers. I've heard we're at about 75k now which is amazing.

Thanks to all who supported.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    I don't know what boardsies were there apart from myself, cython and sullivlo. But nearly 800 people turned up and 22k raised on the day. That's in addition to the 43k online. And other money coming from other fundraisers. I've heard we're at about 75k now which is amazing.

Thanks to all who supported.

+1.

Saw sullzzzz there too I think.

Fantastic day. Taking my personal attachment to it out of the way, it really was a superb event. Plenty of tea, coffee and baked goods, well marshalled and signed event, nice route, and of course the curry in Bradys... Good day out!

sullivlo wrote: »
    +1.

Saw sullzzzz there too I think.

Yeah but we don't talk about him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Orion wrote: »
    Yeah but we don't talk about him :D

Now that just cruel

Irish Independent also have a write up about the event: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/weekend-warriors-aid-battling-mark-nugent-34963376.html

Great day, and inspiring to see just how many people turned up as either cyclists (over 750 as mentioned by Orion), support, or any other role, and indeed all the contributions to the fund from those both present and absent yesterday.

Advertisement