Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Irish property price for sale crash again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

If you've been living in a rental, saving for the past few years, have your deposit together and have gone through the rigmarole of getting mortgage approved, there's no way that you're going to hold back on buying a home because of Brexit.

But if you are already living in your own home and are simply buying somewhere else to have more space, you might well think of holding back (thats where Im at).

I dont have to move, I dont have to worry about the rental market, I just want to move. There will be many more like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If a bank thinks it makes sense to slow-down lending (and I am not saying it is the case), it certainly has a lever to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

But if you are already living in your own home and are simply buying somewhere else to have more space, you might well think of holding back (thats where Im at).

I dont have to move, I dont have to worry about the rental market, I just want to move. There will be many more like me.

Yes and maybe the houses in your sector of the market will see price changes. I assume you're trading up to a 3/4 bed family home. But those of us who are in the market for our first home (2 bed houses, apts, etc) are trying to get out of the rental market asap. I'd prefer to put €15000 into a mortgage next year rather than into rent.

I actually think prices are at an ok level right now considering supply issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You got part of it, the balance sheet.

A slowdown in the market based on rational or irrational fears is only going to have a negative effect on any parts of the balance sheets linked to property values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Brextastic! If this is true I might actually be able to afford something now

Brextastic! If this is true I might actually be able to afford something now

If there is a slowdown (and that's not a foregone conclusion) cash buyers or those with access to finance may be able to benefit.

I would guess they're usually reflected in the reducing values on the balance sheet based on the current market value of assets.

• Advertisement

Yes and maybe the houses in your sector of the market will see price changes. I assume you're trading up to a 3/4 bed family home. But those of us who are in the market for our first home (2 bed houses, apts, etc) are trying to get out of the rental market asap. I'd prefer to put €15000 into a mortgage next year rather than into rent.

What percentage of the market of house movers are first time buyers I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

What percentage of the market of house movers are first time buyers I wonder?

32% of the buyers in the US were FTB in 2015. I'd assume were probably a little higher than that.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    32% of the buyers in the US were FTB in 2015. I'd assume were probably a little higher than that.

Oh - I didnt realise it was so low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

There's a lever deep underground in a masonic lodge. Tis a bit like the engine telegraph on an ould steam ship. The crowd in the central bank / ECB don't know what's controlling it. In fact most don't even know its there, its hidden inside in a safe of one of the top boys' offices behind a bookcase that can only be opened if the entrance to the office is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If Brexit really happens and freedom of movement for EU citizens is restricted then expect lots more inward migration into Ireland. There are millions of teenagers in eastern Europe learning English as their second language right now. Where do you reckon they'll look to if the UK restricts their migration? English is the language of choice and has been since the fall of communism. Demand for accommodation will skyrocket in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

murphaph wrote: »
    If Brexit really happens and freedom of movement for EU citizens is restricted then expect lots more inward migration into Ireland. There are millions of teenagers in eastern Europe learning English as their second language right now. Where do you reckon they'll look to if the UK restricts their migration? English is the language of choice and has been since the fall of communism. Demand for accommodation will skyrocket in Ireland.

You do realise that they are not going to just stop people coming in to the uk? They are not bricking up the tunnel and reeling in the bridges. People will still be able to come into the country and fluent English speaking ones will be at the head of the queue.

This pontificating on speculatory aspects of brexit is a nonsense.

The only factual accuracy your point relates to is demand and supply and knowing this is not the be all and end all of economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A reminder once again to please focus on accommodation and property aspects of the situation please.

Mod

audi12 wrote: »
    The price of homes in the rest of the country fell by 0.6% in April, the second monthly fall in a row.

A quote taken directly from the rte property section backing up the my home.ie and Irish times website. Tell me now im talking crap.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0704/799971-property-price-rises/

Still going to keep claiming prices fell?

Well the OP was talking MoM change in actual selling price and your link is referring to YoY change in asking price.

You're just not talking about the same thing ...

The change is asking price is less relevant than the change in selling price.

• Advertisement

The change is asking price is less relevant than the change in selling price.

Stuff is selling for more than asking in nearly every instance at the moment so the asking price is an excellent indicator. Its not like selling cars, houses tend to be priced close to what they will be sold for and often slightly lower than what they should achieve to attract interest.

They also refer to rises in month to month, a 5% rise from April to June 2016. " a sharp increase in asking prices for newly listed properties in the three months to the end of June".

Stuff is selling for more than asking in nearly every instance at the moment so the asking price is an excellent indicator. Its not like selling cars, houses tend to be priced close to what they will be sold for and often slightly lower than what they should achieve to attract interest.

I don't think you will find any data to support that statement. There are many ghost adds on websites from agencies/owners which are advertising inflated asking prices to test the market or pretend they are trying to sell a property.

And in any case if you have stats available on actual selling prices, it will always give you a better idea of what is actually happening than asking prices.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't think you will find any data to support that statement. There are many ghost adds on websites from agencies/owners which are advertising inflated asking prices to test the market or pretend they are trying to sell a property.

And in any case if you have stats available on actual selling prices, it will always give you a better idea of what is actually happening than asking prices.

I'm basing it on my own experience of following properties for sale in Cork mainly but also Galway.

Read through the daft report quoted in the news article, it also refers to actual transaction prices being higher than asking prices. I understand data is take from the property price register so it's about as accurate as you're going to get.

Graham wrote: »
    Read through the daft report quoted in the news article, it also refers to actual transaction prices being higher than asking prices. I understand data is take from the property price register so it's about as accurate as you're going to get.

Yes but this is only for properties which are actually selling (as they need to compare to the actual selling price on the PPR). If a property is put on sale but never sold because the asking price is unrealistically high, it will inflate the average asking price figure, but be ignored as part of their asking price / selling price difference index. Both in Counnacht/Ulster and Munster, the report mentions that the rate of properties sold stalls around 50% both after 4 months and 6 months of being advertised. Many of those are probably not selling because the asking price is unrealistic.

Yes but this is only for properties which are actually selling

Isn't the selling price the relevant part when you're discussing a 'property price for sale crash'.

Isn't the selling price the relevant part when you're discussing a 'property price for sale crash'.

Yes exactly. Hence my reservations about commenting on increases of average asking prices. If 50% of properties advertised are never sold (as seems to be the case in the regions we were discussion), the average asking price doesn't mean much as it is obviously often unrealistic, and only the actual selling price is a real indicator of the market.

Yes exactly. Hence my reservations about commenting on increases of average asking prices. If 50% of properties advertised are never sold (as seems to be the case in the regions we were discussion), the average asking price doesn't mean much as it is obviously often unrealistic, and only the actual selling price is a real indicator of the market.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible given the limited coffee intake so far this morning):

Transaction price = price recorded for actual sales as per the property price register = real price

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible given the limited coffee intake so far this morning):

Transaction price = price recorded for actual sales as per the property price register = real price

Yes, but unless I read it wrong, the only price figure on the daft report which is based on what you are mentioning is on page 9: 1.4% national Quarter-on-quarter change in average transaction prices.

Unless I read it incorrectly every other price figure is based on asking prices.

• Advertisement

Here is one very strong example of what I'm encountering.

From the property price register.

13/06/2016 €201,000.00 33 ORCHARD COURT, ORCHARD RD, VICTORIA CROSS

Asking price on the above was 165k http://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-sale/wilton/33-orchard-courtvictoria-cross-wilton-cork-1179279/.

Also look below, sold one month earlier for over 30k less and as far as I remember the one below was actually a nicer apartment (more recently done up I mean the actual apartments are more or less identical).

04/05/2016 €167,000.00 13 ORCHARD COURT, VICTORIA CROSS, CORK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement