Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Bike Suggestions for cat A learner

• 28-06-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Hi Guys,

I was just doing my IBT (unrestricted cat A) last weekend and I am itching to get back on the road asap:D

Unfortunately I have a very limited budget of €1500-2000 max (bike only I have already bought all the gear).

I am 6"3 and about 18 stones...) I was using a GS 500 for a couple of hours on the first day which felt a bit cramped. The rest of the IBT I was on a bandit 600 which was really comfortable and felt nippy enough.

The bikes I am looking at the moment are the following:

Suzuki Bandit 600
    Yamaha XJ 600 diversion
    Yamaha Fazer 600
    Honda Hornet 600
    Honda Transalp 600
    Honda Deauville 650
    Suzuki GS 500
    Kawasaki ZX6 Ninja

Do you have any other bike suggestions within my budget which I will be able to insure (I am 39 if this makes any difference)?

Are their any reputable 2nd dealer within the greater Dublin area or should I buy private (I don't have much technical knowledge)?

I was told to stay away from 90s bikes as they might tired and therefore not safe?

I will be using the bike for everyday all year round commuting (within Dublin) and for some weekend spins in the country side. Therefore reliability is an important factor.

Thanks in advance;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just make sure that whatever you get qualifies for an A test -

"For a Category A motorcycle you will need to sit the driving test in a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of at least 595cm3, an unladen mass of more than 175kg. , and an engine power of at least 50kW."

All I can recommend is go to a few bike shops, and try sitting on a few bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://cycle-ergo.com/

This will give you an idea of how you might fit comparatively on different bikes

MSVforever wrote: »
    I was told to stay away from 90s bikes as they might tired and therefore not safe?

Crap. A well minded older bike beats a neglected newer one any day. For your budget you should be able to land a solid bike if you put in the time and leg work and stay open minded but don't accept broad statements like the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

@Paulw

Thanks. This is very useful. It would rule out a few bikes for the test.

@Cantdecide

Thanks. It's a great tool. What shops would you recommend? I was in BW the other day but I couldn't find any 2nd hand bikes (apart from the Deauville - was comfy enough) which are on my list. However I was sitting on a fz6 (successor of the fazer 600 I believe) and it felt nice.

Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What will you be using the bike for?

What kind of mileage?

EDIT:

Forget that, didn't read your post right.

Hornet if you prefer naked.
    Fazer if you want a fairing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Bear in mind the Deaville isn't A category and can't be used for the test.

Aside from that, it also depends on where you'll be riding it. I'd love to commute on a naked or a supermoto but half my 50km commute is motorway and I'm a big jessie. Really down to preference and sitting on a load of bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If u can find a clean Tdm 850, they are a great all rounder.
    A 900 would be better but maybe over your budget.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Any good 2nd hand dealer around Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow/Meath or should I buy private?

Cheers.

Btw I am also interested in bikes that aren't suitable for the A test as I can hire my IBT instructors bike for the day (can also do pre-test lessons at good rates).

Update:
    I was testing a Fazer 600 today but it didn't feel too comfortable.

I was also sitting on a XJ 600 diversion which felt better. My only concern is that footpeg and gear shifter seemed to be a bit too close....
    Has anybody experience with this bike?
    The bike in question has a new chain+sprockets, new tyres and front brake pads:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xj-at-jp-motorcycles/12668474

This bike looks like great value but I am not too 100% sure from just sitting on it.

What do you think?
    Or would I better be off getting a bandit 600 as I felt really comfortable on it (although they seem to be very rare and pricey at the moment)?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Update:
    I was testing a Fazer 600 today but it didn't feel too comfortable.

I was also sitting on a XJ 600 diversion which felt better. My only concern is that footpeg and gear shifter seemed to be a bit too close....
    Has anybody experience with this bike?
    The bike in question has a new chain+sprockets, new tyres and front brake pads:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xj-at-jp-motorcycles/12668474

This bike looks like great value but I am not too 100% sure from just sitting on it.

What do you think?
    Or would I better be off getting a bandit 600 as I felt really comfortable on it (although they seem to be very rare and pricey at the moment)?

Thanks again!
    Only you can decide what's best for you.
    All I'll say is, any bike that has that kinda milage, watch out for burning oil for one thing.
    If the bike needs valve stem seals, you are looking at fairly big money.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What's your budget?
    Would you consider an adventure style bike?

Would suit your height much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I went for an older boxeye Yamaha Fazer 600 and love it. Perfect 600cc learner bike in my opinion.

I had it down to the Fazer, Hornet or Bandit when I was looking.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    Would you consider an adventure style bike?

Would suit your height much better.

Thanks Pugzilla.
    My budget is very limited at around €1500-2000 max.

I am not sure if this falls under the category of adventure bikes but I like the look of Honda Transalp and Africa Twin which are way out of my budget (well at least the Africa Twin).

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I went for an older boxeye Yamaha Fazer 600 and love it. Perfect 600cc learner bike in my opinion.

I had it down to the Fazer, Hornet or Bandit when I was looking.

Thanks slinky2000.

What year is the fazer and why do you prefer it to the Hornet and Bandit?
    I liked driving the bandit during IBT (well in comparison to the GS500 it felt like a rocket...) but I am not sure about reliability:eek: If I could pick up a clean one for under 2k I would probably go for it.

Basically I am looking for the Honda Civic of the 600cc bike world if possible (good for tall riders, economical and reliable):D

It's a 2000 boxeye version. Not the prettiest but I picked mine up for 1.5K last year, which seems good as they look like they've went up in price recently.

It felt like a more comfortable driving position than the others and felt perkier. The small fairing was a bonus too to keep some of the wind resistance off as I knew I would be doing a fair bit of motorway miles.

Wow this sounds like a great bargain. Prices are definitely on the up since we had the nice weather...:mad:
    Did you buy the bike private or in a shop?

Cheers.

Just private, I had done my IBT and all so was able to dive a bike to test them out. It wasn't that expensive so I thought I'd take the risk going private.

Thanks Slinky2000.

I have finally narrowed it down to two bikes. The other bikes didn't feel right. Bandit 600 and Honda Deauville NTV 650.

Pro Bandit 600:

faster, cheaper, more compact, feels lighter, unrestricted "A" test compliant, looks better...)

Con Bandit 600:
    fuel consumption, less comfortable, no storage included, more interesting for thieves...

Pro Deauville 650:
    great mpg, shaft drive, sturdier, panniers etc for storage, more comfortable seating position, less attractive to scummers....

Con Deauville 650:
    slower, more expensive to buy, looks, wider which might be worse for filtering, not "A" test compliant

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Hey,

I bought a bandit 600 1999 plate for 800 back in 2014 waited12 months to turn 24 did my IBT on a fazer 600.

Passed my full test and now I commute about 15km each way through Dublin traffic on the N4.

Covered about 6000miles and loved every bit. including trips up north for the road racing.

I never driven a bike before I weight about 11 stone didn't find the bike to heavy in traffic. insurance on the provisonal was about 600 at 24.

Thanks Slinky2000.

I have finally narrowed it down to two bikes. The other bikes didn't feel right. Bandit 600 and Honda Deauville NTV 650.

Pro Bandit 600:

faster, cheaper, more compact, feels lighter, unrestricted "A" test compliant, looks better...)

Con Bandit 600:
    fuel consumption, less comfortable, no storage included, more interesting for thieves...

Pro Deauville 650:
    great mpg, shaft drive, sturdier, panniers etc for storage, more comfortable seating position, less attractive to scummers....

Con Deauville 650:
    slower, more expensive to buy, looks, wider which might be worse for filtering, not "A" test compliant

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I think you would be mad to get a Deauville tbh, big heavy slow bike. The bandit would be easier to control as your learning and when you do the turning circle in the test I wouldn't fancy doing it on a Deauville myself.

• Advertisement

Thanks sonyvision.

After testing several bikes I bought myself a 2002 Bandit 600.
    I was surprised how quickly I adjusted to the power of the bike and I love every minute on it.
    Went over the Wicklow gap last week and back home via Bray (well I had to as the N11 becomes a motorway for a few miles). Great craic:)

Thanks Goose 81.

That's exactly what I had experienced when I test rode the Deauville. It just felt to bulky. I am happy with the Bandit now:)

Advertisement