Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos UK - deliver to ROI ?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

There is very old thread on this here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58299410

I have the same question as that OP and I'm wondering if anything has changed

I want to purchase an item that is only on the argos.co.uk site and not on the argos.ie site. It is home delivery only. Argos IE (phone or in store) can not process the order as it's not on the IE site. Argos UK (phone or online) will not accept order for delivery to ROI.

I rang Argos in Newry but they can not say if they can deliver to ROI or not until the order is inputted in store for which the customer must be present.

The old thread on this mentioned that Argos UK would deliver then (2009) for approx £30. IF this was still the case I would be happy to pay that.

I'm in Cork and so Newry is a bit of a journey to make for so-so chance of the order going through and being delivered to ROI.

Can anyone shed some more light on this? Any work arounds perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I asked this in Newry two years ago and they delivered to ROI but only because we were only 5 miles from the border and less than 10 from Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it sounds like you're not aware of www.parcelmotel.com This is a facility offered by a courier company (Nightline) which has a depot in NI where they will receive mail order (UK) deliveries for their customers and then ship them to collection points in the south, including four in Cork city, cost is €3.95 per drop. Collection points are 24 x 7 so are usually located in 24 hour filling stations. There are limits to the size of the object - volume of their lockers is 41cm X 38cm X 64cm and the weight limit is 10 kgs, above those limits and you have to collect from their depot for an extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, it sounds like you're not aware of www.parcelmotel.com This is a facility offered by a courier company (Nightline) which has a depot in NI where they will receive mail order (UK) deliveries for their customers and then ship them to collection points in the south, including four in Cork city, cost is €3.95 per drop. Collection points are 24 x 7 so are usually located in 24 hour filling stations. There are limits to the size of the object - volume of their lockers is 41cm X 38cm X 64cm and the weight limit is 10 kgs, above those limits and you have to collect from their depot for an extra charge.

Hi Coylemj. Very familar with Parcel Motel however the item is a very large Pergola. I would estimate the shipping size as 380cm x 150cm x 150cm !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Have it delivered to Parcelwizard and if it is oversized they will charge you extra but shouldnt be extortionate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Thanks for all the responses.

Regarding DPD etc. I am waiting to get the full dimensions and weight of the product as shipped. My gut feeling is that is so large and heavy that it would be prohibitively expensive if they would deliver at all. But I will look for quotes when I get those.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joxer_123

Hi gunnerfitzy, wondering of you were successful in the end?

I am looking to buy a fridge from Argos UK - same fridge is not available in ROI
    Any help welcome :-)

Thanks

Probably not a ton of use, but here goes..

I wanted a gym cable machine and bench from Argos, and the price difference was staggering! (between uk and irl i mean). It worked out over €120 cheaper for the same products up north.

anyway, i went around in circles with argos for ages. My initial idea was just get it sent to an argos store and collect it. Unfortunately this fell flat because:

1) firstly, all the larger stores said to ask the smaller stores, as they'd have more 'free space' for it in their stock room.
    2) After a while of trying stores, i got a chap that told me you can't actually do that, because once it's an argos store thats on the delivery address, then argos won't actually deliver it there. Which seems odd, but was (apparently) true.

Because of the weight, DPD, etc. would receive and deliver the package, but the cost was massive. So I found a place called DeliverMe.ie that are based just on the border on the way into newry.

Again, enormous cost to receive and deliver the item, however, they also have the option of just receiving for collection. So what i did was get the items delivered to them, and then I collected them (threw a roof rack on the car).

The cost for this was €30 with DeliverMe. I already had a roof rack.

So between diesel costs and paying DeliverMe, I still saved about €80-90 if i recall correctly.

Could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

€30 to simply take delivery sounds obscene; although if its something with that volume of saving its still clearly worth it.

I can see Argos's sterling prices going up hugely soon due to the crash - Apple made the opening salvo and I do pity anyone holding off to this payday for a trip to Victoria Square.

Yeah in my case I was still saving enough for it to be worth my while.

At the same time, you could just as easily look for a trustworthy face on Facebook on a newry page or such and ask to deliver to someone's address for a few £/€. (I actually did this, but figured it'd be easier to get a dedicated company to do it).

EDIT:

Since that purchase, I also rang them to ask for the price of them receiving a package. It was weights (like weight plates for a gym) from t'internet. They wanted €50 this time. The company themselves that were selling the weights were offering free UK/NI delivery, or £50 to ROI. So in that instance it wouldn't have made sense to use DeliverMe.

€50 seemed overly excessive. €30 is a reasonable price in my opinion, as it's not a service i'd use very often, and if i am using it, you can be sure I'm still saving.

• Advertisement

Considering what Parcel Motel charge for NI reception and delivery, €30 for just reception and holding is excessive and €50... lets not go there!

Well in fairness, once the parcel goes above a certain size/weight, Parcel Motel, DPD, An Post etc. simply do not want to know. They price it very highly. So even though €50 may seem excessive, you have to also consider that it's still competitive (unfortunately!).

It'd be great of Parcel Motel had some oversized storage areas or the likes. But again, i'd imagine the cost to use them would be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Last month, I wanted to order an item from Argos UK as it was far cheaper on their UK website and it was a home delivery only item. As mentioned by another poster, you have to go into a store in the North to order such items and they select ROI as the destination country. Not all items can be delivered to the Republic of Ireland, I was told. Anyway, the cost of delivery was £19.95. Confusingly, when you get called in relation to organising a delivery date, it's from a Dublin number!

byrnefm wrote: »
    Confusingly, when you get called in relation to organising a delivery date, it's from a Dublin number!

Normal for a multinational company these days to route calls locally when possible to reduce costs - most firms with an Irish office will show a 353 number when they call you from anywhere. VoIP is a great tool, when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes - they will only deliver some things from the North (and I think it's generally from stores near the border) My nearest NI store told me that it's a local thing they have setup, and it depends on whether the retail companies will deliver to ROI, from the Argos store when they are delivering there. I was looking for a mattress, and they could only check in store as to which ones would and wouldn't deliver to me. (Silentnight - no)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hoping to get a Ps4 from Argos uk - can I use parcel motel?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Wonder if anyone could advise? i ordered a ghettoblaster on black friday to be delivered to parcel motel,, argos said it had been delivered, now it appears it has not despite their system saying it is,, they admit that. They don't have it in stock in the warehouse, only in two stores, but i cant get anyone to pick up. Customer service says it cant be delivered from a store, -- it looks like from your thread, it can --- can it??? Im trying to get through again, not happy, they have disconnected me twice, and it is my daughters main christmas present!!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

hi guys,

did anyone tried PM or PW yet?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I have ordered numerous small* items from Argos's UK ebay shop without any problems.

* PM locker size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

hi guys,

did anyone tried PM or PW yet?

cheers

Thread is two years old.

• Advertisement

..i know but there were no further updates :)
    Looking to get a tablet from Argos UK delivered to PW and was looking for some info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've had a few things delivered from Argos UK to PW no issues

Tablet should be fine

maximoose wrote: »
    I've had a few things delivered from Argos UK to PW no issues

Tablet should be fine

Thanks, did you get your stuff from Argos UK on eBay or directly from Argos web shop on argos.co.uk?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Directly from Argos.co.uk

maximoose wrote: »
    Directly from Argos.co.uk

great stuff, cheers!

Advertisement