Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting to Aviva Stadium

• 28-06-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to Dublin next month for an interview in the Aviva Stadium. Will be getting off the Aircoach at Bachelors Walk in the city centre.

Whats the best way to get to the Aviva stadium quickly from the city? Have 45 mins or so to get there from Bachelors walk.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi all,

Heading to Dublin next month for an interview in the Aviva Stadium. Will be getting off the Aircoach at Bachelors Quay inthe city centre.

Whats the best way to get to the Aviva stadium quickly from the city? Have 45 mins or so to get there from Bachelors quay.

Thanks!

Dart from Tara street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DART defo, and just remember that the stop is still called Lansdowne Road and not A***a Stadium.

https://hittheroad.ie/#from=Bachelors+Walk,+Dublin%2853.347125,-6.260975%29&to=Aviva+Stadium,+Lansdowne+Road

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi all,

Heading to Dublin next month for an interview in the Aviva Stadium. Will be getting off the Aircoach at Bachelors Quay inthe city centre.

Whats the best way to get to the Aviva stadium quickly from the city? Have 45 mins or so to get there from Bachelors quay.

Thanks!

Stay on the aircoach to Ballsbridge and walk down Landsdown road (if getting coach from airport).

Otherwise, Dart from Tara or the number 4 or 7 buses from O'Connell bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Coming from Cork so DART sounds like a good option. Thanks all!

You have to walk past the number 4/7 bus stops to get to Tara.

What time of the day do you expect to be there?

Also, from personal experience, the Aircoach can sometimes be delayed en route to Dublin. That may have changed since it stopped going into the towns and villages on the way, but leave a bit of wiggle room.

If you're stuck for time - taxi is an option. Shouldn't be any more than €10 for the journey.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    You have to walk past the number 4/7 bus stops to get to Tara.

What time of the day do you expect to be there?

Also, from personal experience, the Aircoach can sometimes be delayed en route to Dublin. That may have changed since it stopped going into the towns and villages on the way, but leave a bit of wiggle room.

If you're stuck for time - taxi is an option. Shouldn't be any more than €10 for the journey.

Leaving Cork at 5am, Aircoach should be in the city at 8am. Need to be at the Aviva no later than 8.45am.

Traffic along the Quays will be at its peak between 8 and 8.30. There is a bus lane that the aircoach can use, however it is also used by Dublin Bus, and there are stops approx every 100 metres. If I get the bus in to town at that time and go along the quays it can take 15/20 mins on a bad day.

I drove from Cork to Dublin yesterday at 120kph and it took 2h 30m to reach the suburbs (just off the m50). The air coach is capped at 100kph (IIRC) so it will be slower than that. Depending on which route it take in to the city - n4 or n7 - the traffic on these routes could be chaos.

If it's getting close to 8am and you haven't arrived on Bachelors Walk, ask the aircoach busman if you can get off at Heuston, then get the red Luas to Connolly station and get the southbound dart there. Luas will take ~15 mins up to Connolly, Dart takes ~10/15 mins to get to Landsdown. What part of the stadium do you need to get to? The Dart station is on the Landsdown road side of the stadium - just by the underpass if you're familiar with the stadium setup. The corporate entrance is just there too - entrance A I think. I've been to conferences in the Aviva before, but I can't for the life of me remember where I entered the stadium. Something tells me it's through the podium, which is about a 5 minute walk to the Dart (as the gates are closed mid-week).

Depending on the day, there shouldn't be a wait of any longer than 5-10 mins for the Luas, and at that time about 10 mins for the Dart. All going well that should leave you there by 8.45.

Is there any way you could travel up the night before and stay over? It would remove a lot of the stress on the morning, as it might be cutting it tight for time.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Traffic along the Quays will be at its peak between 8 and 8.30. There is a bus lane that the aircoach can use, however it is also used by Dublin Bus, and there are stops approx every 100 metres. If I get the bus in to town at that time and go along the quays it can take 15/20 mins on a bad day.

I drove from Cork to Dublin yesterday at 120kph and it took 2h 30m to reach the suburbs (just off the m50). The air coach is capped at 100kph (IIRC) so it will be slower than that. Depending on which route it take in to the city - n4 or n7 - the traffic on these routes could be chaos.

If it's getting close to 8am and you haven't arrived on Bachelors Walk, ask the aircoach busman if you can get off at Heuston, then get the red Luas to Connolly station and get the southbound dart there. Luas will take ~15 mins up to Connolly, Dart takes ~10/15 mins to get to Landsdown. What part of the stadium do you need to get to? The Dart station is on the Landsdown road side of the stadium - just by the underpass if you're familiar with the stadium setup. The corporate entrance is just there too - entrance A I think. I've been to conferences in the Aviva before, but I can't for the life of me remember where I entered the stadium. Something tells me it's through the podium, which is about a 5 minute walk to the Dart (as the gates are closed mid-week).

Depending on the day, there shouldn't be a wait of any longer than 5-10 mins for the Luas, and at that time about 10 mins for the Dart. All going well that should leave you there by 8.45.

Is there any way you could travel up the night before and stay over? It would remove a lot of the stress on the morning, as it might be cutting it tight for time.

I'm entering via Entrance A. May look into staying the night before but if its too expensive it may not be an option. Maybe if I get the 4am Aircoach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm entering via Entrance A. May look into staying the night before but if its too expensive it may not be an option. Maybe if I get the 4am Aircoach?

That 5am bus is running a tight schedule. You'd just about be ok, though possibly scrambling a bit, if the bus was on the quays at 8am, but any later than that and you're struggling, especially when you are going to a unfamiliar location and will need time to find your bearings.

The 4am gives you ample time if you can cope with the lack of sleep.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

4am bus would be a better option

Entrance a is the main entrance literally a minute or so from the dart station

• Advertisement

The 4am Aircoach could be an option - that should hit the city boundaries by 7/7.30 and traffic shouldn't be too bad at that stage.

Entrance A is on the Green Route. It's very close to the Dart line.

aviva-stadium-way-finder-map.jpg?sfvrsn=6

Entrance A looks like the main lobby. It's almost directly across from the station, no issue there at least.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Red luas is closed in the city centre. Stay on the bus or get a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Red luas is closed in the city centre. Stay on the bus or get a taxi.

It's not. It stops at Abbey St. The OP would have a 2 minute walk to O'Connell St. Or a 5/7 minute walk to the Tara St Dart station.

OP, if it were me, I'd get the earlier bus. Getting to Batchelors Walk for 8am is cutting it too close....considering the traffic at that time of the morning (especially on the quays) & the additional hassle caused by the Luas road works.

I'd get the Dart too. It's only 3 stops from Tara St to Landsdowne Rd. The 4 & 7 buses would stop 7 or 8 times along the way & they have to deal with traffic.

Or follow the suggestion above & stay on the Aircoach, if it goes all the way to Ballsbridge. I've never taken the Aircoach, so I have no idea if it does, or not.

No 4am bus to Dublin city it turns out. only 3am or 5am.

This will be a Saturday morning if it makes any difference to traffic etc

No 4am bus to Dublin city it turns out. only 3am or 5am.

This will be a Saturday morning if it makes any difference to traffic etc

Saturday makes a big difference.

1. There will be feck all traffic.

2. There will be feck all public transport at that hour.

If I were you I'd be getting off that bus at Bachelors walk and planning on a taxi to the Aviva, cost about a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

First DART from Tara St southbound is at 7am on a Saturday, and they run every 15 minutes.

It being a Saturday makes a massive difference, there will be next to nothing on the quays so you'll fly into town.

Your choice whether to splash on a taxi or get the DART.

You can check DART times leaving Tara St and arriving at Lansdowne Rd on www.irishrail.ie

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    First DART from Tara St southbound is at 7am on a Saturday, and they run every 15 minutes.

It being a Saturday makes a massive difference, there will be next to nothing on the quays so you'll fly into town.

Your choice whether to splash on a taxi or get the DART.

Oh that's me being stupid and thinking of Sunday schedules!

Stheno wrote: »
    Oh that's me being stupid and thinking of Sunday schedules!
    Sunday would be a whole different story!

• Advertisement

For me the question is how well you trust the bus schedules? Does 8am at Bachelor's Walk mean 8am or does it mean around 8am, give or take 10 minutes. Shouldn't be a lot of hold-ups on a Saturday morning but still you never know. You'd still be ok at 8.10 or 8.15 as you could just hop straight into a taxi and you'd be there in 15 minutes. You have a bit of wiggle room alright but not a huge amount.

For me the question is how well you trust the bus schedules? Does 8am at Bachelor's Walk mean 8am or does it mean around 8am, give or take 10 minutes. Shouldn't be a lot of hold-ups on a Saturday morning but still you never know. You'd still be ok at 8.10 or 8.15 as you could just hop straight into a taxi and you'd be there in 15 minutes. You have a bit of wiggle room alright but not a huge amount.

Cork aircoach is fairly reliable in my experience

You basically need to make the 8.30 DART at Tara St. (journey time 5 mins, the one after that gets to Lansdowne Rd at 8.53, and OP has said no later than 8.45 at the Aviva), or jump a taxi when you get off the bus.

Cork aircoach is fairly reliable in my experience

I would imagine it is. You can't really afford to be messing about when you are dealing with airport routes.

I would imagine it is. You can't really afford to be messing about when you are dealing with airport routes.

I've taken it about five times the past year, unreal adherence to the timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Red luas is closed in the city centre..

The full Red line is re-opened in full from Sunday 3rd July. They are a month ahead of construction.

I've taken it about five times the past year, unreal adherence to the timetable.

Can't knock that in fairness. I'd be more of a train guy myself, but they are seriously taking the pish with the dublin-cork prices. Flying has to be cheaper.

Can't knock that in fairness. I'd be more of a train guy myself, but they are seriously taking the pish with the dublin-cork prices. Flying has to be cheaper.

They don't fly Dublin to Cork!

They don't fly Dublin to Cork!

Ah right, in fairness with the road system now you wouldn't be shaving a whole lot of time off by flying anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. 5am bus should be fine so. Will get taxi from Bachelors Walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there a city centre bus that goes near Aviva also or is Dart train best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

4/7 leave you a 7 minute walk, both have stops on O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge, though if you're getting on there you'd be as well getting the DART at Tara Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Dart is quickest - especially with the never ending Luas works in city centre

If you want to get bus rather than dart for some reason, here's the stops around the area

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Bus-it-to-Events/Venue-Map/?eventID=6024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are going to a match in the Aviva, get the Dart. It stops right outside the stadium. Also, if the the 4 & 7 buses are already full with match goers by the time they reach O'Connell Bridge, they will just keep on going. They won't stop to pick up more passengers. (Had that happen to me a few times & wound up having to walk. :mad: ) If you are heading to the Aviva early, you'd probably be ok. But if you are heading there within an hour of throw in/kick off, odds are all the Ballsbridge bound buses will be full, by the time they get to O'Connell Bridge/Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi. Old thread but posting as it's the same topic.

Going to Aviva on Thursday for Ireland game, kick off 7:45pm. Driving from Galway, happy to be in Ballsbridge anytime from 6pm onward. What's my best route once I hit Dublin please, am I better off parking at Heuston and getting bus/dart/Luas or driving as close as I can get. Rush hour traffic won't help.

Cheers,

Pa.

• Advertisement

If you can get rid of the car at Heuston, or anywhere out of town, I'd recommend that - traffic around town is bananas the last couple of months at most times of day, and a Thursday evening rush-hour with a (presumably) sold out match to boot will only make it much, much worse.

Park anywhere on the Luas red line, change at Abbey Street and DART out to Lansdowne would be my suggestion

Cheers. Last tram west from Connolly is 7.30 so I'd need to get a bus from near Connolly. Would getting public transport after the game be a nightmare due to the amount of people?

What time does traffic get busy going out of town? If I hit the M50 just before 5, would taking that south and then close-ish to the stadium via Kimmage/Terenure be a good option?

Connolly is only a part-time luas stop these days - Busáras is literally just across the road and has the full luas service. But if you were coming on the DART from Lansdowne, you should get off at Tara St and walk over to Abbey luas stop, that's the quickest and shortest foot transfer.

The M50 at 5pm could well be at a standstill, and getting anywhere near Lansdowne after 5 or 5.30pm is going to be a nightmare, not to mention finding parking.

Now, lots of people do do it, so it is possible - but I wouldn't choose to do it!

Sorry but this info is harder to find than I thought-

Is there easy parking near Heuston station?

From Galway I drive past Heuston so can park there. Will traffic be heavy coming towards Heuston, around 5pm. Would I be better off getting the LUAS at Red Cow or would getting there & then the LUAS to Heuston take longer?

Thanks,

Pa.

There's a paid carpark at the back of Heuston, but I haven't used that in years and years so no idea how full it might be, or how much it costs for that matter. Maybe if you phoned someone might be able to advise?

There are carparks near the zoo in Phoenix Park, or outside Garda HQ, it's about a 10 minute walk back to Heuston from there

Getting to the Red Cow is one junction on the M50, but it's a bit of a lottery how fast that will be moving, and it's a fairly slow run in on the luas from there (not sure how long, but the luas ain't speedy)

And I'm sorry, I sound like the eternal pessimist - but it's due to be a fairly manky evening weather-wise, so traffic will be worse than usual - so leave plenty of time for yourself!

(I today belatedly realised that I have to make Donnybrook for 8pm this evening in the car - so am going to be in the thick of it - not looking forward to it at all!!)

• Advertisement

By chance I bumped into someone I know at one of the Plazas on the motorway.

Took his suggestion- M50 North, Port tunnel & park anywhere you find a spot within 20 mins of the stadium.

Advertisement