Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR and DARE together

Options
  • 28-06-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am going into sixth year this year and think I qualify for both HEAR and DARE.
    If I get both would I be twice as likely to get my course on reduced points or first in line.
    Also how common is it to get both, any advice would be appreciated, thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

For DARE, I was told that it's basically like (according to my careers teacher anyway): say you want to do an arts course, and it's 360, that's the result of the final person who got into the course that year, and for DARE, they allow people who got less than, but the closest to that 360 into the course, eg. 355, 350, maybe 340. I think the amount of DARE students that each course let in vary from each college, and your position in line depends on your LC results. I got my DARE approval letter literally yesterday (I did my LC last week), and it said that whether I get the course on reduced pts or not depends on what I get in the LC. So if I get the points, then it's fine I don't need the course on reduced points, but if I don't get anything close to the course I need, and there are other DARE applicants who had that course down as their 1st preference and did alot better than I did, there's a less likely chance that I'd get in. My careers teacher, however was not actually a qualified one so if this information is wrong please let me know, I would not be surprised in the slightest .-.

I can't say too much about HEAR because I didn't need to apply for it, but I know that my friend qualified for it and ended up getting it, so if you meet the requirements of the scheme and fill out all the forms needed, you should be fine!!

Also, HEAR and DARE from what I know, while they are linked together, they are separate from each other at the same, and I don't think you'd be deprived of one if you got the other, since I'd assume different people go through the separate applications for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

red.velvet wrote: »
    My careers teacher, however was not actually a qualified one so if this information is wrong please let me know, I would not be surprised in the slightest .-.
    I'm not a HEAR / DARE expert red, but that sounds pretty accurate as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

DARE (and I believe HEAR) doesn't reduce x amount of points needed. Each college has a certain percentage of places in each course allocated to DARE, this can vary from usually 5% to 15%. This means that people in DARE are essentially only competing for places with other DARE(possibly HEAR too) applicants. So if you're going for a course with 15 places and it has one DARE place and you get 10 points below but another DARE applicant gets 5 points below then he will get the place. However let's say the year after there's only one DARE applicant to that course and he gets 50 points below, he'll get the place.

For example, for me personally, my first choice was a course in UCD, I missed it by 20 points and didn't get in. My second choice was a course in NUIG that ended up shooting up in points that year and was much higher than the UCD one in the end, I was 85 points below but I still got a place because it was a fairly niche course and I assume I was the only DARE applicant. So I didn't get a fixed amount of points reduced, it just depends on how many places are reserved for DARE applicants and how the other DARE applicants do in relation to you.There is a limit of sorts placed in certain colleges, in Trinity for example you can't get into a course if you're way off the points, it's all within reason.

So to answer your question no it doesn't make it more likely that you will get into college on reduced points if you apply to both as I believe colleges reserve x amount of places for DARE and HEAR combined (as in a DARE applicant would be competing with a HEAR applicant). However I'm not positive on that because I didn't go through HEAR so possibly somebody else can help you out there.

Regardless I would apply for both as it's generally quite difficult to get into HEAR and depending on your disability it can be quite difficult to get into DARE too.

Advertisement