Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia 24-Hour Race Belfast

• 28-06-2016 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/Energia-24-349324491757334/

There isn't a thread for this (I don't think!) so I thought I'd start one just so I could congratulate all the amazing runners!

Eoinín and I went up to support Killerz (to hand him glasses of Coke, eat his Jaffa cakes etc) and we had a brilliant time and were so, so impressed by Killerz's amazing run and by the brilliant running by MrsKillerz & FBOT's relay team, the Mayflies (who came 2nd team! Yay!) (they were flying around -- FBOT was thumbs-up-ing the whole way round.)

The whole event seemed really well organised, and I loved the tented stretch of the course near the clock where all the clubs / teams had their gazebos, and the little camping area was great too -- we were so near the action and could spring up at a moment's notice to hand out salt tablets etc. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and it was great talking to runners from all around the country / world.

We were very, very impressed with Ososlo too -- she just ran round like a metronome, it was like she never stopped. And she smiled and waved every time. Legend!

TFBubendorfer looked great too, very confortable.
    Well done to all, and fantastic running from the winner, Enduro.

Great event, fantastic running. Photos from Eoinín here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157669714685802/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm still gobsmacked by some of the performances here - well done everyone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

There's a lot more smiling in those photos than I would have expected! Well done to all who ran, and to all the support crews, it must have been a tough job. I don't think I could stay awake for 24 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

HelenAnne wrote: »
    TFBubendorfer looked great too, very confortable.

If you thought I looked comfortable I must have acted exceptionally well that day! :eek:

For some reason there was no events thread about this race but plenty of discussion in the "general" ultra thread instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057224827&page=63

Good to see you there, and afterwards as well. Same time, next year? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great pics, Helen and I see you even got a run in yourself! Can't believe how Killerz seems to have been smiling for the whole 24 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

annapr wrote: »
    Great pics, Helen and I see you even got a run in yourself! Can't believe how Killerz seems to have been smiling for the whole 24 hours!

He really was! He was amazingly cheerful and pleasant and together for the whole 24 hours. And the Mayflies team were so brilliant as well -- they all ran way over marathon distance in the 24 hours, and still had energy to help the 24-hour runners. Legends!

Yes, I just did a quick few miles -- early in the race Killerz didn't need much at all between rests, so as long as I was back in time to make the sandwiches :) i could jog off for half an hour (my route was the outer trail around the park, so sometimes I could see Killerz through the trees and shout at him like a ghostly, disembodied, encouraging voice coming out of the trees).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

HelenAnne wrote: »
    He really was! He was amazingly cheerful and pleasant and together for the whole 24 hours. And the Mayflies team were so brilliant as well -- they all ran way over marathon distance in the 24 hours, and still had energy to help the 24-hour runners. Legends!

Yes, I just did a quick few miles -- early in the race Killerz didn't need much at all between rests, so as long as I was back in time to make the sandwiches :) i could jog off for half an hour (my route was the outer trail around the park, so sometimes I could see Killerz through the trees and shout at him like a ghostly, disembodied, encouraging voice coming out of the trees).

Sounds like you were watching him through the bushes while Eoin was watching him through the lens. No wonder he was smiling in all the pics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Well done the St Annes parkrun team killerz & FBOT and everyone else of course. Looks like a great event.

If you thought I looked comfortable I must have acted exceptionally well that day! :eek:

For some reason there was no events thread about this race but plenty of discussion in the "general" ultra thread instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057224827&page=63

Good to see you there, and afterwards as well. Same time, next year? :D

Sorry, I should have introduced myself. I don't post much so I didn't know if you'd recognise my boards name. And, Enduro, I didn't introduce myself to you either, but I was around the course cheering in various outfits during the 24 hours - running gear, normal clothes, waterproofs and noticeable green woolly hat!

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were watching him through the bushes while Eoin was watching him through the lens. No wonder he was smiling in all the pics :)

He had to keep smiling and running -- he didn't know where we were going to pop out from and catch him if he looked sad or stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'll echo Helen's comments here and say the event was excellent, well set up for runners and spectators and would recommend it to anyone - whether the relay or something a bit longer might be to your taste :)

Helen and Eoin were excellent crew, on the ball all the time, and made my life significantly easier. And I must give a special shout out to MrsMc for her awesome supporting duties , accompanied by a vocal gang including Kenny G from here.

The relay team did a great job, with FBOT and Mrs Killerz representing boards very well. In many ways, their race was harder. They go out at what was probably around half marathon pace for 2 hours, have 6 hours off, then repeat that twice. Very tough to get the rest, recovery and nutrition right on that one... But they all did an outstanding job.

Nice to meet Ed Mc, ososlo and Enduro for the first time. Good to see a number of other boardsies again too - some fine performances there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've finally gotten round to doing my race report.
    I've you've seen them before you know what to expect. They are long.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2016/06/when-force-wasnt-with-me.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »

Can't you? You've met him right?!! :D:D

Just to repeat what others have said you guys are all amazing, what a superb debut performance by ososlo (well done again!!!) and killerz and his mayflies team for fundraising too along with another friend of mine who knocked it out of the park also on her debut (well done AJ), I can't comprehend any of it, the constant running in circles, the mental and physical stresses you put yourselves through. Well done to all of you and of course the extra super support teams who kept you fulled and smiling throughout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Another report about TFB race

Here's my race report for anyone with a half hour to spare :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100241959&postcount=812

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Good report Killerz, I have been interested in setting a big goal for myself to start training for from October (getting married in September so other running goals working on till then mainly less than HM distance). Would hope 8 months of training with a few ultra events along the way? To date I have done a number of half marathon events. I am not looking to break any records but would like to test myself.

chris85 wrote: »
    Good report Killerz, I have been interested in setting a big goal for myself to start training for from October (getting married in September so other running goals working on till then mainly less than HM distance). Would hope 8 months of training with a few ultra events along the way? To date I have done a number of half marathon events. I am not looking to break any records but would like to test myself.

Hi Chris, thanks. Having only done one of the 24 hour events, I'm no expert and can only draw on my own single experience. Thomas B, Enduro and a number of others would be way better qualified to give advice on it. That said, the thing about a 24 hour race (or any race with a time rather than a distance goal) kind of leaves it up to you in terms of miles, pace etc. You don't have to do x miles to finish it and the lap nature of it means you're not going to be isolated.

I think it was Enduro who said it before that really the only way of knowing what to expect with a 24 hour race is to just give it a go - that's the only way you'll find out! So with that, in general, if you want it, I'd say go for it.

My note of caution here would be: Have you gone further than half marathon before - your message suggests maybe not? A few marathons and ultras under your belt - some on tired legs would really be necessary in my opinion to prepare your body and mind for such an event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Killerz wrote: »

Hi Chris, thanks. Having only done one of the 24 hour events, I'm no expert and can only draw on my own single experience. Thomas B, Enduro and a number of others would be way better qualified to give advice on it. That said, the thing about a 24 hour race (or any race with a time rather than a distance goal) kind of leaves it up to you in terms of miles, pace etc. You don't have to do x miles to finish it and the lap nature of it means you're not going to be isolated.

I think it was Enduro who said it before that really the only way of knowing what to expect with a 24 hour race is to just give it a go - that's the only way you'll find out! So with that, in general, if you want it, I'd say go for it.

My note of caution here would be: Have you gone further than half marathon before - your message suggests maybe not? A few marathons and ultras under your belt - some on tired legs would really be necessary in my opinion to prepare your body and mind for such an event.

Thanks Killerz, would definitely plan a few long events at marathon and ultra marathon. Something I need to sit down and plan out races and scheduling for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Thanks Killerz, would definitely plan a few long events at marathon and ultra marathon. Something I need to sit down and plan out races and scheduling for this.

Just so we are all clear Chris. To date you have been focused on distances up to HM. You are getting married in September and the plan is to move up to Ultra distance including a 24hr race from October. One question......was marriage your idea :D

Best of luck with the wedding, married life and your Ultra career if you go that way :pac::pac:

Advertisement