Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Athlone to Dublin (Monday to Friday)

Options
  • 28-06-2016 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Does anyone commute to Dublin Monday to Friday for work purposes?

How reliable is the early train into Heuston every morning? I see theres a train that arrives at 8am is this the case every morning or are there regularly delays?

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

price690 wrote: »
    Does anyone commute to Dublin Monday to Friday for work purposes?

How reliable is the early train into Heuston every morning? I see theres a train that arrives at 8am is this the case every morning or are there regularly delays?

Thanks a million in advance

I commuted on the red eye regularly a few years ago. Was fairly reliable. Only 1 major incident of milling into a few cows that I can remember.
    I worked up by Stephens Green and always made it in for 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I used to commute every morning until recently. I found the train very reliable and can't think of any delay that lasted beyond 10-15 minutes, and I can't even pin-point that. It's a very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I commuted for a year or so - was doable when I could walk from Heuston to work.

Then the office moved, and I drove up for a while, but it was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Presume you're aware of the tax saver scheme. Could save you a huge chunk of money!

Doing that commute, the biggest hassle I suspect is getting from Heuston to your place of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I commuted on the red eye regularly a few years ago. Was fairly reliable. Only 1 major incident of milling into a few cows that I can remember.
    I worked up by Stephens Green and always made it in for 9

Was that in portarlington?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Was that in portarlington?

I think so, there or there abouts ... Had burgers for dinner that day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A mutual friend / relation was on the train with you that day I believe .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's reliable. There's very few trains running in the opposite direction at that time to cause a holdup; and they have an old fallback train at Galway station that gets a rare outing.

On the return journey there can be a few delays around Clara. 10-15 mins.

There's usually some parking still at Athlone, unlike the 7am.
    If you've to buy at the ticket machines, keep some cash in reserve, as the card processing on them might be unavailable 1 time in 100.

Advertisement