Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA recall due to child deaths in USA

Options
  • 28-06-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36648589

IKEA in the us are recalling malm chest of drawers which fell and killed some children.

It's not being recalled here for some reason!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36648589

IKEA in the us are recalling malm chest of drawers which fell and killed some children.

It's not being recalled here for some reason!

I have that chest of drawers, the really big 6 drawer one, but I made absolutely sure that it was fixed to the wall with the supplied fixings. Once it was, I pulled out of it with all my might to make a sure it wouldn't move. I'm fairly happy that it is secure, and I'll check it regularly. I'm reasonably happy that it's not a risk.

Perhaps the style/design of the one sold in the US is different to here, and that's why it's not being recalled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

AFAIR those drawers were recalled here a few years ago for a similar risk and the fixings were supplied from then on. Maybe that's why they are not being recalled here at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

I do believe that people need to take some responsibility and have some common sense with things like this. Any heavy chest I have is secured to the wall, not because the instructions said so but because I could look at it and see a potential hazard and took steps to prevent it.
    Very sad to hear of young children dying in ways like this

Advertisement