Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

They save money by splitting it over two nights and they get Sunday as a reprieve. Also I dont think they are deceiving people any more, especially after the final dance , the camera cuts straight to clips of the other contestants giving their opinions on the final result which definitely makes it look prerecorded.
    Poor Laura. Others deserve to be gone ahead of her .

But they continue to make reference to 'Saturday night's performances'. Surely there's a better way of doing it than pretending Sunday night is live. Especially when contestants are on live TV the next morning and face the awkwardness of having to continue the pretence.

I find it very annoying. Love the show and have watched it for years. But this element to it is so poorly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Christmas contestants were announced on ITT..:)

Denise Lewis, Pamela Stephenson, Melvin Odoom, Frankie Bridge, Ainsley Harriott and Gethin Jones. I'm picking Frankie ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

RosyLily wrote: »

Denise Lewis, Pamela Stephenson, Melvin Odoom, Frankie Bridge, Ainsley Harriott and Gethin Jones. I'm picking Frankie ftw.

That's a pretty exciting lineup.
    A bit odd that Melvin is back? Although he was probably a bit unlucky to get knocked out in Week 1. He does seem to have some rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

That's a pretty exciting lineup.
    A bit odd that Melvin is back? Although he was probably a bit unlucky to get knocked out in Week 1. He does seem to have some rhythm.

Gethin was a beautiful ballroom dancer, if I remember correctly. He's similar in appearance to Danny so, no complaints here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,727 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Len's last show as judge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This week's dances

Claudia and AJ will be dancing the Viennese Waltz to 'Breakaway' by Kelly Clarkson

Daisy and Aljaz will be dancing the Salsa to 'Groove Is In The Heart' by Deee-Lite

Danny and Oti will be dancing the Argentine Tango to 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' by Marvin Gaye

Ed and Katya will be dancing the Salsa to 'Gangnam Style' by psy

Greg and Natalie will be dancing the Paso Doble
    to 'Tamacun' by Rodrigo y Gabriela

Judge Rinder and Oksana will be dancing the Foxtrot to 'You Make Me Feel So Young' by Harry Connick Jr

Louise and Kevin will be dancing the American Smooth to 'Big Spender' by Shirley Bassey

Ore and Joanne will be dancing the Rumba to 'Ordinary People' by John Legend

I heard it through the grapevine is a great song....but for an Argentine tango? Hardly dramatic enough or staccato in the music?

Who picks these??

368100 wrote: »
    I heard it through the grapevine is a great song....but for an Argentine tango? Hardly dramatic enough or staccato in the music

I am perplexed. Actually no, I'm flabbergasted. I was really looking forward to their Argentine Tango. It seems a bizarre song :confused:

AFAIK it's the producers that pick the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

368100 wrote: »
    I heard it through the grapevine is a great song....but for an Argentine tango? Hardly dramatic enough or staccato in the music?

Completely agree - love that song, but surely it's far too smooth for an Argentine tango?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Terrible song for an AT - producers have a lot to answer for on their music choices. I think the song makes or breaks the dance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Haven't posted in nearly two weeks, as I've been busier than usual.

However, I can only agree with those who have said that there seems to be something missing from Strictly this year - even I haven't been as excited about the show as in previous years. I wonder, though, how much of this is down to Will's departure...?

But it seems that many other viewers are as excited as ever - the live shows are still attracting around 11 million all told, and the results shows around 10 million. And, of course, it's still crushing XF despite the best efforts of Dermot and Rylan.

And I'm still excited enough to keep looking at the bookies' markets... :o:D;)

Paddy Power: Danny 11/10, Louise 5/2, Ore 5/1, Claudia 8/1, Greg 14/1, Rinder 22/1, Ed 33/1, Daisy 66/1
    Ladbrokes: Danny 11/8, Louise 5/2, Ore 5/1, Claudia 8/1, Greg 16/1, Rinder 16/1, Ed 40/1, Daisy 40/1
    William Hill: Danny 5/4, Louise 11/4, Ore 4/1, Claudia 8/1, Greg 10/1, Rinder 20/1, Ed 33/1, Daisy 50/1
    Coral: Danny 5/4, Louise 5/2, Ore 9/2, Claudia 8/1, Greg 14/1, Rinder 20/1, Ed 33/1, Daisy 66/1

No surprise that Louise has moved above Ore into second, following her 39 and his DO adventure last week. He's still far from being an outsider, however - unlike Daisy.

I can't say I'm too surprised about Ed, either. Just like Sergeant and Widders, he's consistently getting the lowest score - five weeks out of seven thus far, and only one point more than Anastacia in the other two weeks - yet the public like him enough to keep him out of the DO. He probably will go to Blackpool - but if he gets any further, is it possible that he will do what Sergeant did and decide, "This is becoming a joke too far"? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Compared to last years, the contestants are pretty boring. Never warned to Frankie Bridge. Pamela Stephenson wasn't that great. And Melvin again? I supppse they want him to get another shot at dancing. Denise Lewis will be good. Thought Ainsley was hilarious last year. Will be nice to Gethin dance again, long time since he did Strictly. Love seeing him on it takes two.

Pamela Stephenson wasn't that great.

Eh... She did manage to get to the final of Series 8, at the age of 61, and became by far the oldest contestant to ever make it to the final. Her and James' average score for 14 dances was 35. She managed to get three perfect scores - Viennese Waltz, Quickstep, and then Viennese Waltz again in the final). Not too many couples have managed to get a 40 awarded that many times!!

That's pretty great in my book! :)

In relation to the Argentine tango and Danny & Oti having to dance it using quite a strange choice of song...

40 has been awarded for an Argentine tango three times. On each of those occasions, the music used was the typical type that you would expect.

It's just annoying Danny & Oti won't be dancing to a typical song used for the Argentine Tango. The music helps create the mood and the atmosphere. Their performance could be brilliant, but it probably won't live long in my memory unlike the dances shown below. And that will be because of the song.

Jason Donovan & Kristina Rihanoff - Series 9 Week 11: Semi-Final

Harry Judd & Aliona Vilani - Series 9 Week 12: Final

Simon Webbe & Kristina Rihanoff - Series 12 Week 13: Final

I found this 'tango' version of I Heard it Through the Grapevine.

If you click on the link you can hear a 30 second preview. If it's played on Strictly like that, it mightn't be too bad...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Eh... She did manage to get to the final of Series 8, at the age of 61, and became by far the oldest contestant to ever make it to the final. Her and James' average score for 14 dances was 35. She managed to get three perfect scores - Viennese Waltz, Quickstep, and then Viennese Waltz again in the final). Not too many couples have managed to get a 40 awarded that many times!!

That's pretty great in my book! :)

True but there was nothing exciting about her dancing. That's my opinion. :)

Anyone watching? I really enjoyed Greg and Natalie's paso....loved the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Nice and smooth from Ore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ore overmarked there I thought.

Haaahaha!!! What am I watching??! :D

Ed was brilliant tonight! :D

• Advertisement

Claudia is a real contender.

Jaysus Danny is a sensational dancer

Danny is a fabulous dancer.

Ah here, Danny really is in a different league to everyone else.

If he gets undermarked again....:mad:

I really thought that deserved 40, but it looks from those comments he'll get two 9s & two 10s. :rolleyes:

He's fab!! I kinda of agree it was a bit quick in places but I loved it. The fast gaucho section was goooood. Oti's legs are insane!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Ah here, Danny really is in a different league to everyone else.

If he gets undermarked again....:mad:

How can that dance be less aggressive? Brilliant argentine tango.
    Will claudia ever get a 10?

Louise is growing in confidence every week. Lovely to see! Wonder if this will be Kevin's year....

Great routine there from Louise and Kevin. They'll probably get a clean sweep of 10s for that.

• Advertisement

Louise seems nice but I just don't find her entertaining.

Advertisement