Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

sadie06 wrote: »
    I think the devastated look on Oti's face tonight said it all. She now knows they won't win. When it comes down to public votes, Ore and Louise are more popular (or perhaps their partners are).

It's a poorer final now without Claudia as Louise definitely took a major dip this week with the pressure of two dances.

Ore to win...Danny second...Louise third.

If I was to instead pick in order of preference for the professional, it would be Oti, then Joanne, then Kevin.
    But you're forgetting that Ore was in the dance off twice before tonight. So I don't buy that he's all that popular with the public. The only finalist that hasn't been in the DO is Louise, so by that logic, she should win. I'd say a lot of Danny's fans assumed he had it in the bag and maybe didn't bother voting. Now that he's been shown to be vulnerable, that might get people galvanised to vote. But who knows, it's a popularity contest, the best dancer doesn't always win. I think it would be a travesty if anyone other than Danny wins; Ore has been very up and down, Louise has been average at best throughout the competition. But it will come down to most popular personality so really it's anyone's to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ncmc wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of Danny's fans assumed he had it in the bag and maybe didn't bother voting. Now that he's been shown to be vulnerable, that might get people galvanised to vote.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping being in the bottom 2 this week was the perfect time for it to happen to him, as he could get the boost in voting he needs for next week on the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

But wait folks... doesn't Kevin always make it to the final without being slugging it out in the DO but yet he doesn't win the final!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

But wait folks... doesn't Kevin always make it to the final without being slugging it out in the DO but yet he doesn't win the final!?

Think this is Kevin's 4th final in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

honeybear wrote: »

Yeah I know; he makes the final each year and seems to have a massive public following, yet doesn't ever bring home the glitterball trophy. Same turn of events could happen next week (this is the counter argument to those that think that Louise & Kevin have it on the bag).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

honeybear wrote: »

Hmmm, something not right....he's fr from being the best male pro.....I wonder how popular he is with the other pros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

It's funny that Kevin has reached 3 consecutive finals without a win. Popular enough to reach the final - but not to lift the Glitterball. And he's faced the DO less times than any pro I'd say. He must be thinking now what do I have to do to win this thing!

I hope he gets an average partner next season. See how he gets on then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

RosyLily wrote: »

Better chance of hell freezing over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

To be fair to Kevin, he comes across as a great partner. I love the way he lets his partners shine - thought Ed Balls pro (Katya) was particularly good in this respect also. I like Kevin. Still disappointed to see Claudia go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

RosyLily wrote: »
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Better chance of hell freezing over!

Len and Kevin's parents are very good friends. They danced together on the circuit years ago. With Len gone next year Kevin mightn't get such an easy ride. I didn't mind Kevin other year (quite enjoyed his partnerships with Kellie Bright and Frankie Bridge) but this year Kevin and Louise have been consistently overmarked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

But you're forgetting that Ore was in the dance off twice before tonight. So I don't buy that he's all that popular with the public. The only finalist that hasn't been in the DO is Louise, so by that logic, she should win.

I'd say there is a good chance she will win...I just want Ore to win. :)

I really don't think Danny will win, and interestingly enough, neither does James Jordan and he is almost always right.

The sibling rivalry in the final was already mentioned once by Claudia last night. I hope that's the end of it, and that they don't make it a running theme in the final. That would be really annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

sadie06 wrote: »

The sibling rivalry in the final was already mentioned once by Claudia last night. I hope that's the end of it, and that they don't make it a running theme in the final. That would be really annoying.

Hard to imagine there won't be some mock boxing/wrestling style "BROTHER VS SISTER" VT on ITT, at the very least.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Cateym

Imagine Danny first eliminated in the final then they will roll out all that stuff the above poster mentioned....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Definitely one of the best technically but tonight showed he doesn't necessarily get all the votes. He might get a "Bottom Two Bounce" next week to win it though, just like Alesha Dixon in 2009.

2007, actually. :);)

I won't be, anyway... :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Cateym

A lot of 'fix' comments on Instagram and Facebook. A lot of anti-Clifton sentiment. Ore is a great dancer in his own right. I think based on the dances Louise should have gone. Claudia was definitely better but to say that Ore was rubbish is a bit much.

Louise should have gone for sure, and the rumours seem to be based on the fact that if you are unavailable for the post-competition arena tour, you are almost doomed not to make it to the final. Claudia was not available.

People forget about the popularity aspect though. I think popularity is what dictated the result, but maybe I'm blind to the failings of my favourite family programme. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

2007, actually. :);)

9 years ago. Still seems like yesterday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Good grief no, it could ruin it for me !! Curious though to know who the judges will be.

• Advertisement

Good grief no, it could ruin it for me !! Curious though to know who the judges will be.

I have low expectations. A smattering of ex-Billy Barry School pupils (Samantha Mumba, Brian McFadden etc) with Daniel O'Donnell as head judge. :D

Actually, Angeline Ball might be a good shout out.

Well, I said in post #896 that we could have done with a shock or two.

And we certainly got one this weekend. Unfortunately, it wasn't a good one... :(:(

And I can't say I was surprised when the cries of "They've got the final three they wanted" began the moment it was revealed that Claudia was in the DO with Danny. Nor can I bring myself to disagree with these cries, either.

I do disagree, however, with those who claim that Will's withdrawal was a factor in Claudia not making the final. How could they, or anyone, be so sure? It's very possible that Will himself could have made the final with the aforementioned "three they wanted", and hence Claudia wouldn't have made it anyway... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whether good or bad, a shock usually has quite an effect on the bookies' markets - and so it has proved on this occasion. Danny's still the favourite, but Louise has closed right up... :rolleyes: :D;)

Paddy Power: Danny evens, Louise 6/5, Ore 6/1
    Ladbrokes: Danny 10/11, Louise 11/8, Ore 7/1
    William Hill: Danny 10/11, Louise 11/8, Ore 6/1
    Coral: Danny 10/11, Louise 11/8, Ore 6/1

9 years ago. Still seems like yesterday!!

Still seems like yesterday that Arlene was the lady judge, too.

While it's fair to say that replacing her with Alesha wasn't the smartest move, I personally don't believe that ageism was involved - as, of course, was widely claimed at the time. :rolleyes: After all, she almost immediately took up a place on the panel of So You Think You Can Dance (alongside a certain Mrs Redknapp, incidentally), and never gave it up in any way.

And if ageism had played a part, surely Len would have gone too - being only 11 months younger than Arlene? ;)

Another thing that could have a bearing on the result; if the talk of fixes and favouritism towards the Cliftens gains momentum, that could lead to a surge in votes for Danny. The public don't like to feel like they're being hoodwinked. I really don't know how it will go. If Danny gets voted out first, then I will really struggle to watch the rest of it.

What is the sequence on Saturday night, will they each dance three dances and then the winner announced or is there an elimination somewhere in the middle?

What is the sequence on Saturday night, will they each dance three dances and then the winner announced or is there an elimination somewhere in the middle?

I think last year it was a dance chosen by the judges, showdance, a couple eliminated, couples favourite dance, winners announced.

I think last year it was a dance chosen by the judges, showdance, a couple eliminated, couples favourite dance, winners announced.

The Final
    Strictly Come Dancing, Series 14

Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman invite you to join them for the Strictly Come Dancing grand final. The three remaining couples perform three dances as they battle to be crowned champions of Strictly 2016. They have to deliver a spectacular showdance and reprise one of their routines from the series, chosen by the judges. In a final bid for viewer votes, each couple performs the routine they hope will secure them victory.

While the judges comment on and score the performances, it is for guidance only as it's all down to the viewers' vote to decide who will be the winning couple.

Plus a performance from Emeli Sande, the Strictly celebrities of 2016 return for one last group performance, and Strictly says goodbye to head judge Len Goodman in the most spectacular fashion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08695p5

I thought it might be different this year with three in the final rather than 4, last year Katie was eliminated before the final dance. Glad all three couples will get a chance to dance three times. I can't wait to see Danny's showdance! Oti is an amazing choreographer, it's bound to be something really special. Although I thought the same in advance of Jay's last year and it was a major letdown. I thought Kevin and Kellie's showdance was superb last year so interesting to see what he comes up with this year.

Only problem is... if they're all doing three dances, then we'll probably still have this "joint runners-up" malarkey after all.

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

The Beeb may not reveal how much of the public vote each couple received - but, IMO, that doesn't mean they can't reveal which couple came second and which came third.

If one of these two couples clearly outdid the other in every way - danced better, got higher scores, received more votes - then why should the other couple be effectively deemed to have finished joint second? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Delighted to see AJ hold his own politely on ITT. He said to Claudia "you don't know how good you are, you could've done that quick step in any competition and you would have won". The were very gracious. I feel so little enthusiasm for the final now. I found some of their dances the best of the year.

• Advertisement

Delighted to see AJ hold his own politely on ITT. He said to Claudia "you don't know how good you are, you could've done that quick step in any competition and you would have won". The were very gracious. I feel so little enthusiasm for the final now. I found some of their dances the best of the year.

I was so looking forward to their show dance. Gutted for them.

Advertisement