Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7

• 28-06-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest place atm to buy a copy of windows 7 lads ?

Don't have a disc so need a physical copy i guess.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I doubt you'll find one going cheap, tbh, I don't think MS made any new stock available since the launch of Windows 8.

You can use the downgrade rights on Windows 10 Pro to install 7 Pro, but you'll still need to source media (I don't think MS will provide it for you, and the ISOs are no longer available on TechNet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Fysh wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find one going cheap, tbh, I don't think MS made any new stock available since the launch of Windows 8.

You can use the downgrade rights on Windows 10 Pro to install 7 Pro, but you'll still need to source media (I don't think MS will provide it for you, and the ISOs are no longer available on TechNet).

Pretty much what i was afraid of, defragging my ailing laptop and wanted to upgrade OS at same time, just not worth spending big bucks on what i see 7 selling for atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Pretty much what i was afraid of, defragging my ailing laptop and wanted to upgrade OS at same time, just not worth spending big bucks on what i see 7 selling for atm.

I hate to be one of those people, but it might be better considering something like Linux Mint if you want to get a bit more use out of a Vista-era laptop. Unless you have some proprietary Windows programs that you need to run, obviously. Mint runs nice and light on machines with older processors and low RAM. Would be a hell of a lot better than Vista anyway, and you wouldn't have to shell out any cash!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I hate to be one of those people, but it might be better considering something like Linux Mint if you want to get a bit more use out of a Vista-era laptop. Unless you have some proprietary Windows programs that you need to run, obviously. Mint runs nice and light on machines with older processors and low RAM. Would be a hell of a lot better than Vista anyway, and you wouldn't have to shell out any cash!

Good idea, hadn't thought of that tbh

Good idea, hadn't thought of that tbh

A recommendation would be Ubuntu with the MATE desktop. Lovely OS to use.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

• Advertisement

Ended up just buying a copy of windows 10 on amazon for 80 quid, ho hum

Ended up just buying a copy of windows 10 on amazon for 80 quid, ho hum

More money than sense! :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

More money than sense! :P

Ah, to be fair the improvements since Vista mean that (barring increases in disk activity due to indexing ect, in which case a cheap SSD is worth considering) Win 10 is likely to run better than Vista on the same hardware.

Ah, to be fair the improvements since Vista mean that (barring increases in disk activity due to indexing ect, in which case a cheap SSD is worth considering) Win 10 is likely to run better than Vista on the same hardware.

Not just changing OS for the craic

Im giving it a good clean out inside in afew days
    Replacing the knackered thermal paste on the heat sink to processor while i have her cracked open.
    Backing up files i want to keep and nuking the rest while im at it.

Ah yeah was only kidding. An SSD would be the first thing I'd invest in, even a cheap, low capacity one for your OS. Keep your files on an external drive, it's worth it for the performance increase.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah was only kidding. An SSD would be the first thing I'd invest in, even a cheap, low capacity one for your OS. Keep your files on an external drive, it's worth it for the performance increase.

My main problem is in 2008 or so i bought a high end (for the time) laptop an Acer aspire 8930g with the nvidea 9700m graphics card and it overheats like mad, so just trying to knock afew months out of it before i invest in a new desktop

Advertisement