Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen of Death repair Dublin/Ireland

Options
  • 28-06-2016 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Have the Blue Screen of Death on a MS Surface 2 tablet. Tried two places in Dublin who couldn't get into the tablet, let alone fix it. I'm looking to get photos and some other bits and pieces off it.

Battery was running fine, no issues of any kind with it previous to this, it's about 3 years old to the day that I bought it.

Can anybody recommend someone in Dublin or Ireland who can get this done?

Thanks in advance

This is essentially what's showing on it if I switch it on, once it's on, it stays on, only switching off when the battery runs out.

650x373xwindows-8-blue-screen-error.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.yOWUS_rYGn.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Google is your friend - load ubuntu on to a usb drive and boot from there, it may let you see your drive and copy the data you need. Once you get the data off you can try reinstalling windows but it's more than likely some piece of hardware that has failed and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Hey Kev,

You can download Ubuntu from this location

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Then use something like Rufus to burn it to USB drive. (nb: you will need to have a blank USB which is first formatted before installing the Ubuntu operating system for you to boot from).

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Then plug in the USB and boot to it. You may need to choose "Boot Menu" when the machine first powers on, as the machine will try to boot from the hard disk by default.

If it is UEFI boot, this might be a bit tricky, but see if you can download Ubutunu and get it onto a bootable USB to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Thanks for the advice, but it's all Double Dutch to me. I need to hand it into someone to fix. Last company to look at it said it's a hardware issue and they could only see opening it up as a solution (it's glued together).

They admitted that it's the first one they have ever had, so I was hoping there may be someone else who has experience of fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Hi Kev,

Dont feel bad about it sounding like double dutch. I do this stuff every day, and it is still tricky to get the newer laptops to boot off DVD/USB. You see they used to have an old system, called BIOS, where you could click F9 and get a menu at the start. This allowed you to easily choose DVD/USB/Network, so that when the hard drive was not booting, you could just boot to another device to troubleshoot. They switched to a new system called UEFI, allows you to securely boot to the hard drive, but will not let you boot to DVD/USB/Network without you making significant changes. It's a complete pain in the ass.

Very surprised that two computer companies couldnt get into it.Where are you, exactly, and how important is the information you need to retrieve from the drive?

Hi Kev,

Dont feel bad about it sounding like double dutch. I do this stuff every day, and it is still tricky to get the newer laptops to boot off DVD/USB. You see they used to have an old system, called BIOS, where you could click F9 and get a menu at the start. This allowed you to easily choose DVD/USB/Network, so that when the hard drive was not booting, you could just boot to another device to troubleshoot. They switched to a new system called UEFI, allows you to securely boot to the hard drive, but will not let you boot to DVD/USB/Network without you making significant changes. It's a complete pain in the ass.

Very surprised that two computer companies couldnt get into it.Where are you, exactly, and how important is the information you need to retrieve from the drive?

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

If you need data recovered give me a PM
    Cheers

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    If you need data recovered give me a PM
    Cheers

Have someone looking at it at the moment. If nothing works out there I'll give you a bell.

Thanks

Advertisement