Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card exchange rates

Options
  • 28-06-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

if I make a purchase online today using my Mastercard, making a purchase in GBP, what exchange rate will BOI apply? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

martinsvi wrote: »
    Hi,

if I make a purchase online today using my Mastercard, making a purchase in GBP, what exchange rate will BOI apply? 
    Good Morning martinsvi, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie The exchange rate applied is given to us by the Schemes, either MasterCard International or Visa Card International (depending on your card type) Bank of Ireland will apply a cross border handling fee of 2.25% when using your card outside the Euro currency zone. This is applied to the transaction value.

I hope this answers your query and please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Hi Eve,

not quite.. I have a pretty pricey purchase I have to make in pounds and as any reasonable person would, I'm closely watching exchange rates following the brexit referendum. If I make my purchase at the right time, I believe the savings in my case can be in the area of 70-80 euros, before the rates go back to normal. Thus my question is - how do I know what rate is applied at any given day? (let's focus on the Mastercard for now).

If this information is not publicly available (which would be strange, as this means I'm making a purchase having no clue what it will cost me), can you at least let me know what the exchange rate is for today?

Regards,
    Martins 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

martinsvi wrote: »
    Hi Eve,

not quite.. I have a pretty pricey purchase I have to make in pounds and as any reasonable person would, I'm closely watching exchange rates following the brexit referendum. If I make my purchase at the right time, I believe the savings in my case can be in the area of 70-80 euros, before the rates go back to normal. Thus my question is - how do I know what rate is applied at any given day? (let's focus on the Mastercard for now).

If this information is not publicly available (which would be strange, as this means I'm making a purchase having no clue what it will cost me), can you at least let me know what the exchange rate is for today?

Regards,
    Martins 
    Hi Martins, 

As credit cards rates are set by the provider (in this case Mastercard) we would not have access to them from here, you can however use this currency converter to establish the rates on any given day. This link will bring you to MasterCards website. 

Please let me know if there is anything I can help with, 

Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

ah that's perfect, thank you! p.s. I apologize for misspelling your name on my previous post, my eyes are not what they used to be.. :)

Advertisement