Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal costs; Deed of Assent

Options
  • 28-06-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I've just been granted probate and am now about to get the deed of assent to transfer property to myself and my siblings. I know a solicitor is required for this step. I'm just wondering if anyone has an approximate idea about how much this can cost. I've received very different responses from people I've asked and information online seems to be scant. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Hi everyone,

I've just been granted probate and am now about to get the deed of assent to transfer property to myself and my siblings. I know a solicitor is required for this step. I'm just wondering if anyone has an approximate idea about how much this can cost. I've received very different responses from people I've asked and information online seems to be scant. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

I got it done for €250 plus VAT about 5 years ago.

This included getting the assent drawn up, signed as appropriate by the executors and having the assent memorialised in the Registry of Deeds.

The only reason I bothered doing this was to make sure that the transaction was tight with no loose ends.

The fee that I was charged was nominal because the solicitor is well known to me but it might give you a reference point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomas sankara

Thanks Nutley boy,

That's really helpful. And interesting. I was just quoted 758 euro by a solicitor I contacted, and a few people I've asked since said this seemed ridiculously high. It's just a straight-forward transfer with no legal complications involved. I must shop around a bit. I don't want to get ripped off. I'm like yourself, I'm just doing this step through a solicitor to avoid any legal headaches in the future.

Thanks again, I'll contact a few more solicitors. Good to have a reference point as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lecky1

Just wondering the same thing. Probate just completed on my mother's estate. Quoted €500 +VAT for simple transfer of deeds to one beneficiary. Is that reasonable? Are there other fees to be aware of - stamp duty? fee for Registry of Deeds? anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomas sankara

Lecky1, I ended up going with my original quote. I couldn't get any cheaper after I called a few different law practices. So I paid 758 euro overall in the end. Much steeper than I expected but my options were limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lecky1

Lecky1, I ended up going with my original quote. I couldn't get any cheaper after I called a few different law practices. So I paid 758 euro overall in the end. Much steeper than I expected but my options were limited.
    Thomas, did the €785 include VAT? Were there additional fees?

• Advertisement
Advertisement