Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords living

Options
  • 28-06-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am new to Dublin and, since I plan to buy, I am currently exploring different locations as possible places for buying a house. Swords was brought to my attention in one of my other posts.

To give you a bit of detail, I am looking for a house (semi or end-of-terrace, > 80 sqm, 250k, and I do like a bigger garden). From a quick search on the major sites, this is given (e.g. in the Honeywell area), but of course I do not know enough yet to judge if that is actually a good choice.

I am looking for information about Swords living in terms of safety/crime, transportation (I heard there are only a few bus connections), shops, social life, community feeling (not particular fond of isolated suburbs, and wonder if Swords is a bit closer to a community than for example the newer areas of Lucan). What about the airport noise?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've lived in Swords for more than 30 years now and I love it. It's got everything - shopping, nightlife, sports clubs etc. There's an excellent sense of community in Rivervalley where I live, and in other parts of the town too. I don't know all that much about Holywell but it does seem a bit remote and I'm not sure about infrastructure there.

With regards to safety/crime, I wouldn't think Swords is any better or worse than anywhere else. It's very rare for us to hear any airport noise.

Various bus routes go through the main street, but in the outlying areas there will often be just the one route. They tend to be very reliable for the most part though, and the Swords Express is excellent, it's more expensive but it gets in and out of town very quickly because it uses the tunnel.

Where you buy will depend on personal preference, really, so a good look around any areas you fancy both by day and by night would be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Lived here 12 years
    • No Airport noise of note
    • Excellent shopping in the Pavillions
    • Decent Employment opportunities, a number of US Multinationals have their EU HQ in the area
    • Decent Nightlife
    • Restaurants leave a bit to be desired but Malahide is nearby
    • Some excellent schools for the kids, the Gaelscoil near Applewood probably being the best Junior School around, and an excellent all girls secondary school in Loretto
    • Swords Express is an excellent transport link to town
    • Easy Access to M1 and M50 so the country is easy to travel to by car
    • Some crap areas, but they tend to keep their problems close by
    • Right on the doorstep of the countryside and the coast, so excellent places to run, cycle and visit the beach if you like the outdoors

Advertisement