Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defective cleats? Wrong cleats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

they look to me like cleats that have had a good bit of contact with hard surfaces. Never seen that kind of wear and damage from pedals only..

Are you putting your left foot down a lot at lights ect??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

cleats wear down and get damaged from stopping and walking. Is the cleat in the pic on the foot you would unclip when stoping and pushing of to restart? Ive had a few left cleats go like that aswell but I use my left foot on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    they look to me like cleats that have had a good bit of contact with hard surfaces. Never seen that kind of wear and damage from pedals only..

neris wrote: »
    cleats wear down and get damaged from stopping and walking. Is the cleat in the pic on the foot you would unclip when stoping and pushing of to restart? Ive had a few left cleats go like that aswell but I use my left foot on the ground
    There's more than simple wear there. The front of the cleat has a piece missing as if it has broken off which would prevent it engaging properly with the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

neris wrote: »
    cleats wear down and get damaged from stopping and walking. Is the cleat in the pic on the foot you would unclip when stoping and pushing of to restart?

Yes my left is the foot I unclip at lights etc but that was true of my last set which lasted 18months or so. These are barely a month and 1000km in. I would do minimal walking in them. Heres how the other one looks in comparison.

(Please ignore the crooked washer :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use these:

http://www.labicicletta.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/1293x798/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/e/keo-grip-grey.jpg

They provide more grip and the rubber strips provide some protection to the cleat when walking. I find the ones the OP uses too slippery when walking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I find keo grips wore down far too quick. Less cleat actually there make ro for the rubber strip and once that went, the rest easy far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There's more than simple wear there. The front of the cleat has a piece missing as if it has broken off which would prevent it engaging properly with the pedal.

Agreed. It looks like damage or maybe just a defect in the cleat that led to a lump breaking off. FWIW, I use Shimano cleats and the left one is now beginning to show signs of wear after over 4,000km / 6 months with a lot of that commuting across Dublin City and all the clipping out that that involves. Thanks to this thread I actually looked at the condition of my cleats and will need to order a new pair.

From what I've read online in the past, it would appear that there is some negative opinion on the durability of Look cleats. I've never used them so I can't speak from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Weepsie wrote: »
    I find keo grips wore down far too quick. Less cleat actually there make ro for the rubber strip and once that went, the rest easy far behind.
    Ahh dont say that, Ive just fitted Keo cleats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

crosstownk wrote: »
    Agreed. It looks like damage or maybe just a defect in the cleat that led to a lump breaking off. FWIW, I use Shimano cleats and the left one is now beginning to show signs of wear after over 4,000km / 6 months with a lot of that commuting across Dublin City and all the clipping out that that involves. Thanks to this thread I actually looked at the condition of my cleats and will need to order a new pair.

From what I've read online in the past, it would appear that there is some negative opinion on the durability of Look cleats. I've never used them so I can't speak from personal experience.

I have over 2 years wear on Shimano SPD cleats without any noticeable wear. I presume its because they are steel as opposed to plastic like Look??

• Advertisement

I have over 2 years wear on Shimano SPD cleats without any noticeable wear. I presume its because they are steel as opposed to plastic like Look??

SPD cleats can last a lifetime when looked after. SPD-SL are more like the Look Keo and Delta cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mine are plastic SPD-SL.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Ahh dont say that, Ive just fitted Keo cleats!

Now in saying that they were the first cleats I used. I was unclipping a lot when getting used to them and in city.

I found the other non grip ones require more caution when pushing off but that's down to the cyclist (I'm a bit of a clumsy oaf) but they do last longer.

Looking at my cleats the other day. Left is definitely more worn than right. Might swap then over to extend the life of them

Weepsie wrote: »
    SPD cleats can last a lifetime when looked after. SPD-SL are more like the Look Keo and Delta cleats.
    You're not comparing like with like. SPD's are recessed in the shoe and don't really make contact with the ground.

SPD SL's and Look etc. protrude from the shoe and are therefore more liable to wear from walking/unclipping at lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Kinda hijacking the thread, but, I have the issue as above, in reality I put it down to the wrong tool for the job. I'm doing a bit of commuting into work by way of getting extra training in. I've destroyed the left cleat on my shoe because I always use my left foot on the group at lights. I understand the solution is to get a new bike to fit some new SPD shoes. But would a cheaper option be to just replace the destroyed cleat with a new one and leave the cleat on my right foot which isn't too bad. Anyone else here take that approach?

diarmaidol wrote: »
    ... would a cheaper option be to just replace the destroyed cleat with a new one and leave the cleat on my right foot which isn't too bad. Anyone else here take that approach?
    When you say 'destroyed' do you mean that the cleat no longer engages in the pedal or is it just wearing down but still engaging. If it's the latter, you could swap over the cleats and allow the former right side one to take some wear on the left. Then change both together after a while.

(No harm is purchasing a new pair in advance anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I have a new pair just bought. The rubber at the top of the Cleat is gone and about 1/2 the plastic underneath is gone. Still working however. I see them as a consumable item. Think I'll just replace the one and see how that goes. Easy maintenance process. Wear until the rubber falls off, replace cleat. Keep cycling.

diarmaidol wrote: »
    I have a new pair just bought. The rubber at the top of the Cleat is gone and about 1/2 the plastic underneath is gone. Still working however. I see them as a consumable item. Think I'll just replace the one and see how that goes. Easy maintenance process. Wear until the rubber falls off, replace cleat. Keep cycling.
    Don't worry about the rubber strip. It's just there to give more grip when walking. It doesn't serve any other purpose. They will last for a long time after the rubber has disappeared.

(This thread just reminded me that I loaned a new set of Look Keo cleats to a friend recently. He's only an occasional cyclist and discovered the night before a sportive that he'd forgotten to get cleats. Well mother of sweet Jesus - the state of the cleats when he returned them to me the following evening! It looked as if he had done the sportive on foot!).

Advertisement