Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I'll watch that tonight when I'm home, but I seem to be one of the few that aren't completely blown away by this game. I avoided spoilers and played through it in 2 sittings. Its very well made, gorgeous to look at but at the end it just rang hollow with me. I found the puzzles to be overly simple and at the end I was left with more questions than answers - which isn't a bad thing, but I would have loved to have found out more about the world its set in. I actually enjoyed limbo more.

I agree that the puzzles in Limbo were more varied and difficult but I felt that Inside used puzzles that were congruent with the world the game was set in, whereas the puzzles in Limbo were much more random, which allowed them to have more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Let me summarise first my thoughts after completing the game: this is magnificent.

So would it be safe to say that this game gets the 'ultimate' seal of approval then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I agree that the puzzles in Limbo were more varied and difficult but I felt that Inside used puzzles that were congruent with the world the game was set in, whereas the puzzles in Limbo were much more random, which allowed them to have more variety.

Ok, Its been about a week since I finished it and I still find my thoughts drifting back to it now and again. I'd love to know more about the world, about the different environments and characters you meet.

If the worst you can say about it is that you'd like to know more, thats not too shabby at all. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just read Inside may be coming to PS4 this month and a trophy list was leaked. Beaming with this as was mad to play it.

Edit: link to article, 'trusted source' confirms august release.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/01/playdeads-inside-coming-to-ps4-in-august/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Ah great. Was waiting for some news on a PS4 release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This is the best analysis of the game I've seen yet & I agree with his interpretation fully:

OBVIOUSLY DO NOT READ SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME
    a lot of these discussions keep assuming you're human, one of the big details I took away from my playthrough was that nothing aside from how the child looked confirmed he was human. In fact one of the biggest points in favour of not being human is all the gruesome deaths. Only one person who is killed during the game actually produces genuine gore and its one of the scientists near the end. Everything else just falls apart like its made of some of doughy product. Limbs fall off with no blood, the kid gets blasted apart in a sonic wave and he just falls apart etc. I think the opening is less people being kidnapped but products that have been grown being farmed and shipped to be processed into workers and other products.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    OBVIOUSLY DO NOT READ SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME
    a lot of these discussions keep assuming you're human, one of the big details I took away from my playthrough was that nothing aside from how the child looked confirmed he was human. In fact one of the biggest points in favour of not being human is all the gruesome deaths. Only one person who is killed during the game actually produces genuine gore and its one of the scientists near the end. Everything else just falls apart like its made of some of doughy product. Limbs fall off with no blood, the kid gets blasted apart in a sonic wave and he just falls apart etc. I think the opening is less people being kidnapped but products that have been grown being farmed and shipped to be processed into workers and other products.

More Spoilers here
    I'll be honest and admit that I didnt pick up on this until I watched the earlier theory video, but the more I though about it, the more I agreed. The controllable 'others' that you meet are often shown wearing work clothes, hard hats etc, suggesting they're like manufactured drones.you'd often notice a body part fall off when a group of them fall off a ledge also. I took the pig with the worm to be an early test phase of the control process. I reckon the giant blob in the tank was a manufactured organism that was used to control the drones, but like skynet, had become self aware and wanted to escape, which it achieved by using the 'boy'. If you notice also, when the 'boy' is surrounded by a group of the drones, they rub his hair, reach for him affectionately - indicating that they might be achieving some level of awareness also.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

So glad this is coming to PS4 as soon as it is,i was going to go and watch a play though of the game as i really wanted to see what the story was with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Just finished this now, is it worth 20 euro? Probably but it is only 4.5 hours long in my case. I didnt go looking fo rthe easter eggs, i will do another play through for them and get another 4.5 hours in it.

That ending though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

This was an incredible game. Although I didn't really get the ending of it. I mean what was that supposed to mean?
    Was that big mass of flesh controlling the boy from the very beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

PUT THAT IN SPOILER TAGS! ^

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

Sorry :X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Journey, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Inside. What a week I've had.

Played this in One sitting yesterday,what a game,have been watching the theory videos this morning..
    Definitely will be doing at least one more play through,i imagine my thoughts on the plot will change with each one.
    Definitely worth every cent of €20...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Meant to post sooner but this was fantastic. Just read about the secret ending, must go back over the Christmas and go for that. That whole final chapter was a complete curve ball but absolutely brilliant. Have to look at those theory videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Just finished this... I think I need a while to think about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Is this download only? There are a few games I want to get atm but reluctant to do so as they're digital only. Only have 15GB allowance which is why i am careful enough using it but this game sounds like it would be worth allocating a portion of my allowance on. Recent Sony hacks are another reason I don't want to use my debit card on the PSN. Layers of Fear is another game I want to play that I can't purchase on disc.

SteoL wrote: »
    Is this download only? There are a few games I want to get atm but reluctant to do so as they're digital only. Only have 15GB allowance which is why i am careful enough using it but this game sounds like it would be worth allocating a portion of my allowance on. Recent Sony hacks are another reason I don't want to use my debit card on the PSN. Layers of Fear is another game I want to play that I can't purchase on disc.

Yes this is digital only but I think it's only about 2gb in size. It's well worth it, best game I've played in quite a while.

SteoL wrote: »

definitely worth it,you could buy a Psn card in Gamestop if you are worried about your card details..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finished it just there.

Did not have high expectations going into it. I found Limbo to be pretentious rubbish that was ultimately utterly hollow behind the art style. Many of the later puzzles were badly designed as well with many puzzle elements hidden from the player to make them tougher than they actually were.

Inside on the other hand was what Limbo should have been. Excellent stuff and one of the best games of the year. Haven't been this surprised by a company following up a dodgy game with something excellent since That Game Company followed up Flower with Journey (and I'll go to my grave saying Flower had the worst motion controls ever in a game).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I finished it just there.

Did not have high expectations going into it. I found Limbo to be pretentious rubbish that was ultimately utterly hollow behind the art style. Many of the later puzzles were badly designed as well with many puzzle elements hidden from the player to make them tougher than they actually were.

Inside on the other hand was what Limbo should have been. Excellent stuff and one of the best games of the year. Haven't been this surprised by a company following up a dodgy game with something excellent since That Game Company followed up Flower with Journey (and I'll go to my grave saying Flower had the worst motion controls ever in a game).

Hopefully you were spoiler free going in and had your what the actual F just happened moment :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully you were spoiler free going in and had your what the actual F just happened moment :D

Indeed I did. This game is ****ed up!

I found Limbo to be pretentious rubbish that was ultimately utterly hollow behind the art style.

What exactly did you find pretentious about Limbo? I wasn't a massive fan of the game either but that's a curious criticism to level at it, and you're not the first person I've heard describe it that way.

If memory serves me correct the game is very light on story and themes. Most of the intellectual noise surrounding it comes from the fans and what they think it all means. In fact an early criticism was that it was essentially made up of mood, art direction and puzzle design. It was light on everything else.

'Pretentious' is often a lazy way of describing something. People never explain what they actually mean by it. However I do think that some games are pretentious, in so far as the subject matter doesn't warrant the seriousness, or manner, of the approach taken. I just dont think Limbo fits the (admittedly very subjective) bill.

As you said it was mood and art direction but nothing else to back it up. It meant nothing and was ultimately vapid despite the devs trying eluding at a great in importance behind everything. It pretty much defines the dictionary definition of pretentious to me.

I never actually finished this game. There's a big moment towards the end?!

I never actually finished this game. There's a big moment towards the end?!

Yes. If you stopped playing because you didn't enjoy the game then I don't know if you'll get much out of the ending, but if you just forgot to finish it I'd highly recommend playing it until the end.

As you said it was mood and art direction but nothing else to back it up. It meant nothing and was ultimately vapid despite the devs trying eluding at a great in importance behind everything. It pretty much defines the dictionary definition of pretentious to me.

To me, this game is the equivalent of going to a restaurant, and the menu has a long rambling description of ' long line caught fresh cod, coated in our batter made from free range,eggs from grain fed hens who sleep in a converted restored Volkswagen beetle, accompanied by a a melange of harvest bounty peas with hand sliced Maris Piper potatoes' when in reality you're just getting fish and fupping chips.

To call a spade a spade, inside is a mediocre platform/puzzler with neither element being of any high level of quality. It has nothing important to say about anything, and is very much something that looks nice, and is well made, but is wholly forgettable. The levels of praise it recieves baffles me.

As retro said, it is the dictionary definition of pretentiousness.

I think people soaked up its mood and art direction and because of that they placed great significance on what the game was supposed to 'be'. Clearly there are various ideas and motifs at play, but I struggle to see how the game is "expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature. I honestly feel that this is a case of people projecting themselves onto a game, for better or worse.
    ...and was ultimately vapid despite the devs trying eluding at a great in importance behind everything

I can just about make out what you're trying to say and I completely disagree. I don't think the devs took that approach at all. I simply think this is a case of a developer arriving at a very special style/tone and then people like you absolutely skewering yourself on it looking for meaning.

Example...
    It meant nothing

You wanted it to mean something. You were looking into the game for something of significance, for "importance, worth or stature", and then criticising the game because it wasn't there. You built the game up into something that I honestly don't think it was meant to be, then labelled it pretentious because the very things you sought weren't present.

At least that's how I see it.

• Advertisement

To me, this game is the equivalent of going to a restaurant, and the menu has a long rambling description of ' long line caught fresh cod, coated in our batter made from free range,eggs from grain fed hens who sleep in a converted restored Volkswagen beetle, accompanied by a a melange of harvest bounty peas with hand sliced Maris Piper potatoes' when in reality you're just getting fish and fupping chips.

To call a spade a spade, inside is a mediocre platform/puzzler with neither element being of any high level of quality. It has nothing important to say about anything, and is very much something that looks nice, and is well made, but is wholly forgettable. The levels of praise it recieves baffles me.

As retro said, it is the dictionary definition of pretentiousness.

We're talking about Limbo, but I take your point.

Advertisement