Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin! (from Munich)

Options
  • 28-06-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello there. Seems our family will relocate to Dublin soon. So I need some help with information (I hope I write in the correct thread). :)

First - In Germany (where we live for now) you can rent an empty flat for a long-term, so we have some furniture. Do we need it in Dublin? Are empty flats\houses\apartments cheaper than furnished? And yes, I love my furniture (nothing really expensive, but....) :) But if moving it from Munich to Dublin costs a fortune, I think I can survive without it.

Second -what difference between flat and apartment? Can't got it. Size? Location?

Third - we don't need to live in a heart of the city, but don't want to go for a work more than hour either. Does Dublin have some transport network, allows fast and easily travel from suburbs to the city? (Like German S-bahn). Or if you want to be at work within hour you need to live in Dublin itself?

Waiting for the answers, thank you for reading my post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Shiritoru wrote: »
    Hello there. Seems our family will relocate to Dublin soon. So I need some help with information (I hope I write in the correct thread). :)

First - In Germany (where we live for now) you can rent an empty flat for a long-term, so we have some furniture. Do we need it in Dublin? Are empty flats\houses\apartments cheaper than furnished? And yes, I love my furniture (nothing really expensive, but....) :) But if moving it from Munich to Dublin costs a fortune, I think I can survive without it.

Second -what difference between flat and apartment? Can't got it. Size? Location?

Third - we don't need to live in a heart of the city, but don't want to go for a work more than hour either. Does Dublin have some transport network, allows fast and easily travel from suburbs to the city? (Like German S-bahn). Or if you want to be at work within hour you need to live in Dublin itself?

It's normal here for rental properties to be furnished. I don't think I've ever seen an unfurnished one.

Flat and apartment are the same thing. Flats do tend to be older and cheaper, but I'd go for an apartment.

Dublin is well serviced by buses, but to avoid rush hour, you have to use either of the Luas lines or the DART line.

Luas lines - https://www.luas.ie/routes/

DART line - http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/station-and-route-maps (click on 'view large map', the green line is the DART)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What part of Dublin will you be working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hello, I hope you enjoy your move to Dublin, and you are in the right place to get some answers!

First, most rental accommodation is let fully furnished. It's hard to get an unfurnished flat/apartment, but you could negotiate with a landlord if you want to use your own furniture.

The Dublin rental market is over-subscribed at the moment, so you will need to start looking soon. www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie are two place to start.

Flat/Apartment - technically a 'flat' is an entire floor in a building, whereas an apartment is part of a floor. Those definitions are rarely ever applied here. What 'flat' often refers to is rental accommodation in a converted older building, whereas an 'apartment' is in a modern, purpose build apartment blocks. These started being built in Dublin in the 1960s, so while 'modern', are not necessarily 'new'.

Do you already have a job lined up in Dublin? If so it will have an impact on where you plan to live. You will need to take public transport - Dublin bus, Dart, Luas, commuter train - into consideration. If your new job is on the dart line, you can live along the coast in some lovely spots.

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

there are more furnished places than unfurnished, but still plenty available, and some landlords will move part of their furnishings out if you were to ask.

And knowing where you will be working will certainly influence some of the choices you make in order to limit your commuting time

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shiritoru

Thanks to everyone for such a great information! Sorry for the late answer, I'm fighting with boards.ie mystic "error 505". Can't write any message here from my PC. Crazy.
    So, we decided to try to sell our furniture (with tears in my eyes, of course :)). Gladly, we have plenty of time for this.
    I understand the difference between flat and apartment now. :) And registered on daft.ie. I think it will be uneasy to find a place to live for us, because we have some Scottish terriers to live with :))
    My SO got a job offer near Pears Square Park. It's seems to be a place between Grand Canal and Trinity College.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

My family and I moved back and forward between Munich and Dub a bit.. PM me if you do need a ref for a reasonable removals company, or any other topics.

You say family..Do you have children and want to get childcare or a plan for school? That might greatly influence where you locate.. Certainly occupies a lot of dubliners as there is quite a bulge of young school going children, so even if you have somewhere temporary, you might want to consider that as a factor.

We dont have in comparision to Munich, large walkable areas. City centre is much more cut up here by traffic than Munich, so its not such a pleasant walk to the park if you wanted. In the evenings in Munich I was used to cycling great distances with mixed bunch of pals - that for instance is not so possible here as traffic removes the pleasantness.

Dart and LUAS lines, very usable and reliable and might put you in a spot somewhere further out.. ( mind you, between Grand Canal and Trinity College is close to both transport links) We dont have as many great cycle lanes as Munich, but that said, the motorists and cyclists here are a bit more understanding, I find. And we are making improvements with slower traffic limits and better walking and cycling links, and the air is cleaner I reckon.

If you liked the long ranging walk of the Englischer Garten, we dont have that here, Phoenix park is big close, but not as well populated with social walkers as Englischer Garten. If it were me moving home again, and wanted that park and big open air experience, I would be looking at around St Annes park in Clontarf and close to dart line... and its close to coast in clontarf and easy to reach cliffs of howth, they give that big open feel and still close to city. .. Now everyone to their own opinion.

Thanks to everyone for such a kind answers and advices! I'm really sorry I could not answer here before, because boards.ie refuse to work with my FB account as login information. Drove me crazy.

So we're in Dublin from 3rd of November. :) And I'm absolutely happy, really. We rent a place in Glasnevin, between two wonderful parks where we can go for a walk with dogs.

It's very funny to search a differences with other countries we used to live.

G-Man wrote: »
    In the evenings in Munich I was used to cycling great distances with mixed bunch of pals - that for instance is not so possible here as traffic removes the pleasantness.

Thank you for your answer!
    Yes, the cycling here is not so easy as in Munich. I brought my bike here but still don't use it. Crazy traffic.
    It's easy for me to jump to my scooter instead to reach the nearest supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks to everyone for such a kind answers and advices! I'm really sorry I could not answer here before, because boards.ie refuse to work with my FB account as login information. Drove me crazy.

So we're in Dublin from 3rd of November. :) And I'm absolutely happy, really. We rent a place in Glasnevin, between two wonderful parks where we can go for a walk with dogs.

It's very funny to search a differences with other countries we used to live.

Glasnevin is a lovely place, lucky you. I lived close by for a while.

Oh yes, I love it! The only inconvenience is that the nearest supermarket is about 2 km away. :) But I heard lots of walking makes us healthy. :))))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Tesco online works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Transport here is dreadful in comparison to Munich. Don't expect a U-Bahn, S-Bahn, or much in the way of an electrified integrated rail network.

Advertisement