Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games should go die in a fire?

• 28-06-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As a counterpart to my other post about the best games, what do you think are the worst?
    Now, i'll clarify. We don't want a list of just what you don't fancy, e.g. no battlefield vs cod stuff, etc.

What i'm looking for are those games were truly awful, games that made you feel as though the developers stole time from you and made a piece of you die inside. Games that should by rights have ended the miserable careers of those responsible for inflicting that game on the world.

I'll start:

X-Rebirth - ye ****ing gods. What in the hell. Totally unfinished, character models from 80's, etc. This creature got released and then everyone stampeded for a refund. Nigh on 2 years of patches later and its still terrible.
    Way to take a giant steaming dump on your solid legacy from the previous X games....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A lot of the junk that's clogging up Steam Greenlight, I won't say they should go die in a fire, but a broken mess of cobbled-together unity assets doesn't belong on Steam and shouldn't be sold for actual cash money dollarydoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The Sims. Completely and utterly moralized out and dumbed down.
    Was Good until the Sims 3. You could romance The Grim Reaper.
    Then the Political Correctness Police came.
    No more toddler Sims anymore - official reason given was that toddlers were too difficult to design.
    Sims 4.....who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

ET on the atari

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

EA's rebooted Sim City for sure.

Any game that does the whole "you can't do anything more until you pay us or you wait 24 hours" - so the entire mobile games market basically :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dirt 3

I like rallying, that's why I bought a rally game.

I don't like Gymkhana

If you could skip it or ignore it it would be fine, but you can't progress without winning these events and they bore me to tears

Feck you codemasters.

Bring back the original Colin Mcrae and Toca Racing series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rocket League, Overwatch, League of Legends, all the boring multiplayer fads of recent times basically...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Akrasia wrote: »
    Dirt 3

I like rallying, that's why I bought a rally game.

I don't like Gymkhana

If you could skip it or ignore it it would be fine, but you can't progress without winning these events and they bore me to tears

Feck you codemasters.

Bring back the original Colin Mcrae and Toca Racing series

Try Dirt Rally, its amazing.

The new RE games can die in a hellish smoke of some sort.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thargor wrote: »
    Rocket League, Overwatch, League of Legends, all the boring multiplayer fans of recent times basically...

STRONGLY disagree :D You're talking about 3 of the most popular games on the planet right there. They're magnificent examples of the Multiplayer game done properly (League's horrific community notwithstanding, but it's hardly Riot's fault their customers are such scum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Agree with Links, 99% of greenlight games should be incinerated and atomised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I really dislike the whole barrage of Early Access ****e coming through at the moment. I'd rather pay for a full game, than beta test at full price for you for a game that *may* not get finished. Kerbal Space Program is the only game I can think of, as well as Prison Architect, that came out of Early Access and gave what it promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Gone Home and Life is Strange. "Stupid gun!" :D

chrislad wrote: »
    I really dislike the whole barrage of Early Access ****e coming through at the moment. I'd rather pay for a full game, than beta test at full price for you for a game that *may* not get finished. Kerbal Space Program is the only game I can think of, as well as Prison Architect, that came out of Early Access and gave what it promised.

I don't dislike Early Access at all, thus far I've only bought Darkest Dungeon and Besiege, and bought Slime Rancher but refunded it, so 2 for 3 I'm fairly happy. There's plenty of games that were in Early Access that have had a full release and turned out really well, Grim Dawn being a great example. That's not to say there's not developers taking advantage of the system, because there is, it's just that both Greenlight and Early Access are great ideas and produce quite a bit of quality, but are also hosting a clattershart of bullpuckey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

DayZ Standalone.. What a load of sh1te..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tow truck simulator or whatever it was called, it got it as a free bonus game back in the days of buying games in shops...it was like some kind of flann o brien/waiting for godot form of mundane hell...it should have been burned in a chip pin fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have never played it but this comes up time and time again and it always amazes me how they released Superman on the N64
    I would have thrown it in the fire in annoyance at it

http://kotaku.com/5736742/lets-see-if-superman-64-really-is-the-worst-game-of-all-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Dead State - The zombies attack your base while you're not online, so if you leave the game for any period of time, say a weekend, then you come back to hours of grinding to restore your base back to where it was prior. I ****ing hate it when developers attempt to dictate how you spend you time.

Godus - They hype train was real for this one. Didn't come even halfway close to living up to it.

This war of mine - Scenario: You're starving to death, here is someone who has food and is shooting at you, you shoot him, then listen to your characters mope for the next few hours about how awful and terrible it was.
    I wanted to play a game about civilian life during wartime, not be subjected to some anti-war propaganda.

The witcher 1/2/3 - I know its a huegely popular series. Its stunning, its beautifull, the story is deep and rich, its vast and open world. True on all counts. However, the actual gameplay mechanics are rubbish. The convuluted combo-based combat that belongs in streetfighter, not an open-world exploration game, makes this range totally unplayable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The witcher 1/2/3 - I know its a huegely popular series. Its stunning, its beautifull, the story is deep and rich, its vast and open world. True on all counts. However, the actual gameplay mechanics are rubbish. The convuluted combo-based combat that belongs in streetfighter, not an open-world exploration game, makes this range totally unplayable for me.

Thought i was the only one who hated that about the Witcher games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

ALL 'Train Simulator' games by any Games Creator.
    They're all crap.

This shouldn't become a "your favourite game is sh*t" thread, especially considering how much genuine garbage there is out there.

PS. Dark Souls is a garbage game for garbage people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Links234 wrote: »
    This shouldn't become a "your favourite game is sh*t" thread, especially considering how much genuine garbage there is out there.

PS. Dark Souls is a garbage game for garbage people.

Aye.

What kind of game design is it when you have to replay the same section over and over again, untill you finally beat it. Designed by sados, played by sados.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Aye.

What kind of game design is it when you have to replay the same section over and over again, untill you finally beat it. Designed by sados, played by sados.

I genuinely have no idea where this comes from. Like take any single player game, if you die, any progress you had after the last checkpoint is 100% wiped clean, you replay the whole section completely the same way as you went into it, you may end up replaying tough sections a heap of times.

Dark Souls, you die in an area, you have an opportunity to pick up all the Money/XP you had gained the last time, or the time before that, it allows you to get stronger through deaths in areas instead of just letting you run at it again, no different.

Replaying sections again and again until you beat it isn't how Dark Souls was designed, its how all single player games are designed, Dark Souls just happens to be one where you get held up a bit.

I think you're missing the sarcasm there DigiSol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I never ever pick up on sarcasm on this damn site.

I wasn't sure if I recalled CruelCoin from the Souls threads.

I'm leaving it there I don't care :D

What can go die are stupid cash grab games like most crap based off TV Shows (I know they're not all crap) or stuff like FNAF that are only famous because of YT and have had like 3 sequels in a few years, but they're all the same thing.

And stuff like Dead Space 3. Let's not sell a Dead Space game to Dead Space fans, let's sell a Mass Effect game to Dead Space fans, the game was utter tripe and couldn't be further away from what made Dead Space a classic horror nowadays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

A game I only recently saw being played, and only really knew of based on reputation before that: Daikatana. What a miserable mess that game was.

Agree about the Greenlight games, for every good game from that, there's a mountain of garbage. I also agree about games like FNAF. I enjoy scary games, but games built around just jump scares feel like the laziest kind of horror.

Advertisement