Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility for bins?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in a very small apartment building. When I moved in the agent wasn't too clear about which bins to use (pointed out the back to a laneway shared with other businesses, and wasn't clear which one was specifically for the building). My mistake with everything going on that I didn't confirm. I just used the one that was open.

I was later contacted by a business and told I'd be using their bin, and ended up being fined by the city council. I went back to my landlord and asked which bin to use and was told use bin with "x business" written on marker on it.

So far so good.

Recently I got a later from a different business that I had illegally dumped in their bin and got threatened with a fine again (when I went out to check I realised theirs looked identical to the one I'd been told to use, same bin company, just without the marker on it). I hadn't realised in the dark that it was a different one than I'd been told to use.

I contacted my landlord again about which bin to use as the one with the marker was no longer there. Landlord insisted that's the one to use.

Now I went to the business that threatened me, and had a good chat with the guy running it. Seemingly his bin is constantly being used by other people. He told me that he had found refuse from "x business" in his bin and contacted the bin company about. Turns out the bin I'd been told to use had been misappropriated and was taken away.

So cliff notes are, agent was murky about which bin to use, landlord then told me to use a bin that's been misappropriated and since taken away. I've repeatedly contacted the landlord about the bin and he's not getting back to me.

I remember when I lived in a house that I had to pay my bin charges myself, but outside of that I've always lived in apartment buildings where it's been taken care of.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation, is my landlord responsible for providing bins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

is my landlord responsible for providing bins?

Not unless if says in your lease that s/he will do so.

What to do: get your own bins. (I'm sure the alley needs more bins!)

Advertisement