Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You can change one rule, what would it be?

• 28-06-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

For me, it would be the penalty taker, the person who was fouled takes the penalty. For example, player A is going for , or setting up a goal scoring chance, and is taken down. Surely he should be taking the penalty, ie, given a chance to finish off his attempt, not a nominated player. In the case of a hand ball, the last attacking player to touch the ball.

What would you guys change?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Get rid of that stupid spray and just let the ref go back to judging the 10 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Video ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Get rid of that stupid spray and just let the ref go back to judging the 10 yards.

This is one of the best things that has happened in football in a long time and you want to get rid of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Introduce retrospective punishment for diving, would soon cut out the shíte that the likes of Pepe carries on with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

RasTa wrote: »
    Video ref.

Citing commissioner would be better. Review the game after the game. Bans for diving, warnings and then bans for shouting at the ref etc and of course dealing with foul play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Booking for celebrating a goal abolished unless deliberately provocative.

Straight red card for missing the goal by more than three yards from a free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yellow cards whenever a player stands in front of the ball to stop a team taking a quick freekick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Citing commissioner would be better. Review the game after the game. Bans for diving, warnings and then bans for shouting at the ref etc and of course dealing with foul play

Still no use if they miss a peno or off/on side goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Players shielding ball over endline without touching it. Player should only be judged to be in possession if he touches the ball. Otherwise it should be obstruction if he shields it from an advancing attacker.

Rationale: To keep play moving and give advantage to attacker.

PS: Similar rule for attacker shielding ball for corner.

Rationale: To keep ball moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Oat23 wrote: »
    Yellow cards whenever a player stands in front of the ball to stop a team taking a quick freekick.

Is that not supposed to be a current rule?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

RasTa wrote: »
    Video ref.
    Would destroy the game with all the delays.

Any player who gets in the ref's face over a foul/booking should be booked. So Eliseu and Nani here -

Straight yellow, sod off out of the ref's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'm not a huge fan for the yellow card you get for taking off your shirt in celebration seems a bit much for scoring a goal and celebrating it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Add a compulsory extra minute for subs made in injury time..

Or make injury time ball-in-play time only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not exactly a rule but it'd be great if the 5th officials actually did something for once instead of ignoring blatant fouls in the box that the ref misses. Really have to question the point of them sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ban short corners.

Allow one additional sub per team if a match goes to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Patww79 wrote: »

I agree , it's time for the great granny rule .

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I'd love to see injuries treated like in rugby as in the physio treats while the play goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Most realistic ones I'd like are mentioned.

Unrealistic rule I'd like would be equivalent of back court violation in basketball. So if you bring the ball over the halfway line, you can't resort to bringing it back beyond halfway. Be highly unfair on weaker teams though I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Would bring in a video ref for pivitol decisions in games. Red cards, disallowed goals, penalties. I think it would add to the overall suspense and excitement in games and add very little extra time spent on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Would bring in a video ref for pivitol decisions in games. Red cards, disallowed goals, penalties. I the think it would add to the overall suspense and excitement in games and add very little extra time spent on the pitch.

Or even if there is a big screen in the stadium and a player points up thiery Henry doing a handball in the relay that the ref could use that to influence his decision after. I mean he couldn't be looking at the screen all the time but sometimes obvious is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Make the game 20 or 25 minutes a half but do it like Ice Hockey so the clock only moves when the ball's in play. Time wasting wiped out in an instant.

Of course it would never happen as you wouldn't be able to have clocks at amateur or youth games and there's no way you'd have one rule for the pros and one for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

no offside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

allow refs the option of giving a red card rather than just yellow, or the possibility of a retrospective ban, for those 'take one for the team' tackles from behind, when a team is making a quick counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ban short corners.

Allow one additional sub per team if a match goes to extra time.

Didnt they have the extra sub thing in the Copa America this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

2 Yellows over a tournament you miss a match, you should miss games for red cards not for two yellows, it always happens some poor bloke get's an undeserved yellow in a quarter or semi final and ends up missing a career defining game. I want to see the best playing the best not having 3-4 lads suspended for a final because of 2 yellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

wpd wrote: »
    no offside

That really would be an awful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

Main one for the players to stop acting like pussies. Anyone simulating pretending their hit should face bans.
    Also Ref should be more lenient with scuffles and people going head to head etc, pushing another player, a little kick out etc should not be a straight red card. Remember Drogbas slap on vidic, that was not a red card offence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I would change the way they handle draws for ordinary matches to a system more like what the do in NHL hockey. If a game ends in a draw I'd give award each team 1 point. Then I'd do one 15 minute extra time. If either team scores, the game immediately ends and the scoring team is awarded an extra point. If neither team scores at the end of extra time, it would be a penalty shootout and the winner of that would get the point.

That way teams would be really go for it in the extra time, they'd have nothing to lose, and you wouldn't have dreadful 0-0 draws where neither team puts the ball in the net and neither team wins which is crap for the fans. This way fans are always guaranteed to see at least one goal or an exciting shootout to make it worth the price of admission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

cdeb wrote: »
    Would destroy the game with all the delays.

It doesn't have to if you limit it, such as each manager having two challenges per match. There are other options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

@ Clampdown

Doubt that would work, as players are already exhausted towards the end of the season, often playing 50+ matches.
    If you go make every draw a potential 120 minutes, you'd need huge squad depth to deal with player fatigue, and would end up with nearly complete 2nd elevens far too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

can I have another one?

Get rid of all that shaking hands at the start of the game and all that 'respect' crap. What's the point when less than a minute afterwards when the game starts they're off trying to con the referee into giving them frees and getting opposing players booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Booking players for taking off shirt / celebrating with fans - I feel like this was only introduced to please shirt sponsors.

Change offside to there being daylight between forward and last defender.

Red Card and a penalty for goal scoring opportunity foul is too harsh, change it to yellow card if it's in the penalty area.

Just realised you asked for one rule. Just the first one then because it annoys me every time it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm not a huge fan for the yellow card you get for taking off your shirt in celebration seems a bit much for scoring a goal and celebrating it

Straight red. Cut out one of the stupidest things straight away. Why would you want to take part of your kit off??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Bring in a TMO like what they have in rugby but each team is allowed to use it twice max in a game. Prevents the game being destroyed with delays but affords the team a chance to quickly review something (penalty handball shout/if a player has dived in the box) that should/should not have been awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Eh, the referees still judge/count out the 10yds - the spray is to prevent the wall stealing 1/2/3yrds on the free taker when the ref turns his back. Brilliant innovation which is simple and fixes a big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Bring in a TMO like what they have in rugby but each team is allowed to use it twice max in a game. Prevents the game being destroyed with delays but affords the team a chance to quickly review something (penalty handball shout/if a player has dived in the box) that should/should not have been awarded.

Yes you have have to limit it, rugby has turned into a joke with the length of games and refs not making simple decisions anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd straight away bring in a sin bin , 10 minutes in the bin for anyone play acting , diving intimidating the referee and all this bull**** card raising stuff that players do to try and influnce the ref and only the captains are allowed dispute desicions much like rugby would soon get rid of most of the rubbish in the game

Only allow two substitutes from a bench of three. Even out the rich and less clubs a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

dan1895 wrote: »
    Straight red. Cut out one of the stupidest things straight away. Why would you want to take part of your kit off??

I have no problem with a player taking off their shirt as part of a celebration , seems to be a silly rule.
    To me they need to focus on more serious matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Widen the goal posts, 0-0 or 1-0 makes the game just so boring.

More goals would make football more exciting, can be so frustrating watching a full match.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Players picking up the ball after giving away a free kick and running off with it only to throw it back when back in position. Should be a yellow card for touching the ball after a free kick has been given against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Goalkeepers are over protected, they only have to run into someone to get a free. They should have to battle for the ball as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Already mentioned but the main one for me would be a TMO option, perhaps limit it to two decisions for each coach to avoid frivolous claims.

I'd also like to see the return of the golden goal as I think they gave up on it too soon. I think it was claimed that teams were too nervous to go for the goal and ended up playing for penalties but I can recall games where the teams did go for it, and I felt it was an exciting rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Goals where the defender deflects the ball into the path of an otherwise offside striker who is 'goal hatching' yards behind him.

Like Vardy vs Wales.... or the third Sevilla goal against Liverpool

There is no art is getting a jammy deflection and ending up with the ball in oceans of space.

If you start the move offside, you should be flagged offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Goals where the defender deflects the ball into the path of an otherwise offside striker who is 'goal hatching' yards behind him.

Like Vardy vs Wales.... or the third Sevilla goal against Liverpool

There is no art is getting a jammy deflection and ending up with the ball in oceans of space.

If you start the move offside, you should be flagged offside.

But neither of those goals were offside :confused:. The last person to touch it was an opposition defender. They weren't offside. I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But neither of those goals were offside :confused:. The last person to touch it was an opposition defender. They weren't offside. I'm confused :confused:

They weren't offside as the rule stands

I just can't stand the rule. There is no art or skill in goal hatching :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The one thing I'd like to see brought in from rugby is the "time off time on" control that referees have. No more of this rounding off added on time. Play to 90, stop the clock for injuries, subs, direct free kicks and penalties. Resume when play resumes and blow up when the clock reaches 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Get rid of extra time. Rubbish games don't deserve an extra half hour. Try win it in 90 or suffer penos.

I like the citing suggestion. Calm reflection that doesn't slow down the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement