Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting a diesel after it was laid up

• 28-06-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I have a 2.4 diesel transporter
    It hasn't been used in 18months so I charged the battery and put fresh diesel in it
    Glow plug light comes on and goes off as normal, it turns over but won't fire.
    Any ideas?
    Do I need to bleed the system or something 😔

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do you have a multimeter? and if so check the batt voltage whilst cranking. The crank shaft sensor could do with checking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Hal1 wrote: »
    Do you have a multimeter? and if so check the batt voltage whilst cranking. The crank shaft sensor could do with checking also.

Battery is perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Crack an injector nut open and turn it over to check for diesel/let air out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hal1 wrote: »
    Crank sensor on a diesel?
    Interslice wrote: »
    Crack an injector nut open and turn it over to check for diesel/let air out.

Just keep turning over and it will fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Jump it so you don't drain the battery and keep cranking. It will start eventually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Assuming its IDI...

Suck the diesel through the return of the pump

Crack each injector union at the injector when cranking (try use a crows foot if you can)

When all 5 cylinders are bled through, cycle the glows and start as normal

I can make a vid and upload it if you want, I have a car in a similar condition (not started in ages, IDI etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Give it a pull with another vehicle, old ways are best!!! Save the starter campaign.

Advertisement