Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody have good Wifi without a landline connection?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

So most good wifi connections get connected to the copper wire in your phone landline right?

My parents are elderly and kind of sick of paying for their landline rental fee when they both rally only use mobiles now.

So they want rid of the landline, but want to keep Wifi. Nobody has time for slow wifi though so theyve asked me to research it cos I "know computers".

I do not know computers.

So I'm looking to other Galway city folk to help as I know these things can vary by region.

They're based about 5 miles outside the city centre, heading for Headford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is Virgin Media available in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I dont know. I havent been in the area in a long time.

Ill look though. Do they do one of those boxes you just plug in a wall or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I dont know. I havent been in the area in a long time.

Ill look though. Do they do one of those boxes you just plug in a wall or what?

Yes you can either get just the modem to allow WIFI or you can get a Horizon box which allows WIKI and also provides TV. Whichever of these you go with they will need to connect a cable to their mainline running on your street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TescoMobile tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

WiFi is from the router box in your house to your phone or computer.
    Before that it is a supplier like Virgin, Eircom or similar that has a way to provide internet connection to the house.

It sounds as your parents are out in the countryside?
    Do they have a UPC TV box?

It's probably easiest to call in, or ring, the main players and give them the address and see if they can supply broadband at your parent's house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Check their coverage on imagine.ie if they can get LTE broadband then that would be better than mobile only.

Depending on their internet use, if it was light enough then they could tether their phones but that's too easy to fall into the trap of going over the caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I presume you're really asking about the Internet connection rather than the WiFi. My WiFi is terrific (I have 802.11ac), but the internet connection from my router to the ISP is only 5Mb. The provider is Net1, and they have recently said that they have plans to increase this to over 50Mb, so that would be pretty good. They use wireless to connect, but that requires line-of-sight to their base stations. If you're in their area, it's a reasonable solution, particularly if they're not heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Vodafone do a €40pm plan for broadband only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Ive a vodafone dongle its excellent 18 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I use my Three mobile to Tether and as a wireless hotspot. It's great it you are in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I have a Vodafone Broadband Box out the County. It is ran through the Phoneline buttt the Phoneline isn't activated as such. Like, I don't have Landline use in the house, I don't use the phone, it's not active for phone use, all's I pay for is a single Broadband Package, I don't need to pay for a Phone Package too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

+ for Vodafone Broadband Only!!
    €40 a month uses the same line as Eircom but the Modem makes a HUGE Difference in speed
    I couldn't Run Netflix on Eircom, Changed to Vodafone and it runs Seamlessly and we now run a Android Box with Kodi, Can't Fault it and we're out in Headford as well

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

City -> County

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You should get a 4g signal from Three Mobile. The Headford Road is very flat & I can just get a 4g signal in Corrundulla. The key is to be sure that you can get 4g & then go to the Midband forum for advice on the best router. Get an unlocked one that you can use on any network. With luck you will get 4g broadband for €20 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

biko wrote: »
    City -> County
    Nonsense!

I just got my vodafone broadband only connection upgraded to 50mb, €38 a month.

OP, don't lose the landline. Keep it for internet. Doing internet over mobile is a waste of time when you have a landline available.

I've been through just about every provider out there, I've found Vodafone the best, Eir are shyte.

Advertisement