Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools help please!

Options
  • 28-06-2016 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I'm moving to Wexford in the next 12 months and I need some help with schools. I don't know where I'll be living yet but I need a school that's Non-denominational as my kids aren't baptised. Also are they likely to be fee paying schools?

I won't be able to come over to Ireland until the autumn so knowing where to look would be great start!

Any info guys? TIA

Tass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You can try these, schools in Wexford, New Ross and Gorey.

https://www.educatetogether.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Aren't all schools non-denominational? Whether your kids were baptized or not should be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Conas wrote: »
    Aren't all schools non-denominational? Whether your kids were baptized or not should be irrelevant.

No, where did you get that idea?

You must not read the news, it's a big talking point at the moment. Over 97% of National Schools in Ireland are controlled by one or other of the Christian Churches with the vast majority, of course, controlled by the RCC. To get into any of these schools you have to meet conditions and one of those is that your child should be baptised, it is not always the case but divergence from it is rare and the last word goes to the BOM, chaired usually by the PP.
    There was a campaign before the census was taken earlier this year, for people not to declare themselves as belonging to a church if they didn't practise, as the churches' hold on the education sector is strengthened by the numbers of adherents. At the previous census, 84% of people in the Republic declared themselves as Roman Catholic whereas the number practising on a regular basis is about 6% with some parishes in Dublin recording less than 1%. The RCC used this figure of 84% as a bargaining chip for continued State support of their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You must not read the news, it's a big talking point at the moment. Over 97% of National Schools in Ireland are controlled by one or other of the Christian Churches with the vast majority, of course, controlled by the RCC. To get into any of these schools you have to meet conditions and one of those is that your child should be baptised, it is not always the case but divergence from it is rare and the last word goes to the BOM, chaired usually by the PP.
    There was a campaign before the census was taken earlier this year, for people not to declare themselves as belonging to a church if they didn't practise, as the churches' hold on the education sector is strengthened by the numbers of adherents. At the previous census, 84% of people in the Republic declared themselves as Roman Catholic whereas the number practising on a regular basis is about 6% with some parishes in Dublin recording less than 1%. The RCC used this figure of 84% as a bargaining chip for continued State support of their position.

I did go to Primary School, but believe it or not, I've never been aware of such a policy. If you can't attend a school because you weren't baptized, I think such a policy is a load of rubbish, and should be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I did go to Primary School, but believe it or not, I've never been aware of such a policy. If you can't attend a school because you weren't baptized, I think such a policy is a load of rubbish, and should be reversed.

There's a protest on at Stephens green tomorrow if yer interested

Anyhow... What are the ages OP?

Baptism doesn't automatically exclude, it just means those that are baptised get first offer depending on the denomination of the school (not all cases). This is usually when the application figure is higher than the places available. Some schools with falling numbers aren't as fussy... Although they might be preparing for confirmation/communion and your kids will have to be kept busy with something else.

I'd aim for good secondary schools and work backward to Primary schools in the location.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    There's a protest on at Stephens green tomorrow if yer interested

Anyhow... What are the ages OP?

Baptism doesn't automatically exclude, it just means those that are baptised get first offer depending on the denomination of the school (not all cases). This is usually when the application figure is higher than the places available. Some schools with falling numbers aren't as fussy... Although they might be preparing for confirmation/communion and your kids will have to be kept busy with something else.

I'd aim for good secondary schools and work backward to Primary schools in the location.

The way the system works is AFAIK
    1. Children baptised in the ethos of the school
    2. Siblings of children in the school, in which case, it is assumed, they too are baptised in the same ethos
    3.Children baptised in other Christian churches who live within the catchment area.
    4. All others
    In general, Protestant schools are more likely to be under subscribed and indeed, several Catholic parents I know opt to send their children to the Protestant schools because of smaller class sizes and more individualised attention, but generally the same criteria apply as in Catholic schools.
    In practice, if a school is under subscribed then faith will not be a problem but the whole process of finding somewhere to live in an area in which the local school is guaranteed to be under subscribed would be a logistical nightmare, better to work on the basis that faith will be a problem

I assumed the op was talking about primary schools when they brought the subject up but yes, I suppose they could be asking about secondary schools, in which case, depending on the school, similar problems can arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I was a Catholic who went to a Protestant primary school for the above reason.

I think that secondary schools are much more of a problem than primary? No kids myself, so don't know. Just heard that

Advertisement