Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bying a house builders finish unoccupied for years

Options
  • 28-06-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All, as the title suggests we are looking at a house which had been built 9 years ago but has been standing unoccupied since. EA saying the vendors were not able to sell it due to inheritance issues, but anyway this is not the issue.
    My question is, what are potential negative issues of buying such a property.
    The bungalow looks structurally sound, no damp on the walls or ceilings (unless they were very well camouflaged), no visible cracks or defects.

Please share your thoughs or experience in such a purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can get a structural survey, this checks for defects or issues ,
    a non expert would not see.cost 400-500euro.
    IF esb is off ,it may cost 2k to get it switched back on.
    Check is broadband is avaidable in the area .
    IF house was built properly there should not be any major problems .
    IS it in an estate , neighbours would know if the houses were built to a high standard.
    A survey maybe cheaper since its a bungalow .
    look at the roof, one cracked tile ,can cause leaks into the attic.
    The boiler may need a service if theres a gas boiler there .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi All, as the title suggests we are looking at a house which had been built 9 years ago but has been standing unoccupied since.
    Anything that would need copper (such as pipes) will probably be missing.

As 9 years ago would be 2007, I'd be looking at what costs could've been cut, and what problems they could have hit external to the house (sewage, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

You can do well off this, IF its in good nick. I have been involved in very similar sales over the last few years that all went through without issue but that was a reputable builder who is still trading. He was just lucky to be in the position that he could sit on them until the market prices came back up.

A few things to look out for;

1. If gas boiler, they can seize up if they have been left idle for years.
    2. If in an estate, have the roads etc been taken over by the council, if not, are there bonds in place.
    3. Do all windows and door function correctly, again lots of little issues can add up in repairs
    4. ESB, Gas & phone connections. These can be super expensive to get connected once off.
    5. Do you know the builder? Do you know of any of his other work? Can you see it?
    6. If septic tank, does it comply with regs?

They are the main worries I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There was an identical apartment block beside the one I'm in that was half-finished for years up until the last few months when they completed it rapidly.

I don't think I'd be buying one myself if I was in the market. Aside from being left exposed to the elements, the walls are paper thin (I can hear the couple upstairs peeing in their ensuite :(), the water pumps are noisy to where I can't in good conscience flush a toilet after 11pm, and the way it's designed means that my hallway (ground floor) is almost always dark.

From the speed at which they finished off the new block I doubt it's any better but it'll no doubt sell regardless. At least I'm only renting and it's cheap (not in Dublin) but having lived there a year now I can see why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A survey will reveal any major issues .
    See if theres any phone connection point .

• Advertisement
Advertisement