Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of last surviving members of Doolittle raid dies

Options
  • 28-06-2016 9:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

"
    David Thatcher, an Army Air Force gunner who was decorated for helping to save the lives of four severely wounded fellow crewmen in the Doolittle Raid on Japan of April 1942, America’s first strike against the Japanese homeland in World War II, died on Wednesday in Missoula, Mont. He was 94 and the next-to-last survivor among the mission’s 80 airmen
    " - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us/david-thatcher-part-of-42-doolittle-raid-on-japan-dies-at-94.html?_r=0

I was reading the excellent book, Target Tokyo, on the Doolittle raid when I cam across this article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's an achievement in it's own right that they could get 16 large aircraft to take off from a carrier that by todays standards was tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I once met Doolittle Raiders Richard Cole (Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot) and Tom Griffin at the local Mid Atlantic air museum's world war II annual weekend event.

We had a special treat last June. Two beauties from Great Britain, with the de Havilland Mosquito being a first for us, as far as I can remember.

BABROY7_small.jpg
    WWII%20In%20Color-0174_small.jpg

The P-61B Black Widow is nearing the end of its long restoration process, and will soon be the only P-61 in the world to fly.

DSC_0267_small.jpg

I was able to get up close and personal with this one.

WWII%20In%20Color-0171_small.jpg

Advertisement