Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Earley Tour Of Kildare 2016

Options
  • 28-06-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Now in its fifteenth year, the Martin Earley Tour of Kildare,with the Marie Keating Foundation is for keen cyclists, beginners, families and friends alike offering 110k, 65k and 20k tours. With an emphasis on fun, the cycle starts and finishes at the Naas Court Hotel with food stops along the way and a BBQ at the finish. Tour de France and Giro d’Italia stage winner, Martin Earley takes part in this event every year.

The Tour of Kildare started in 2002 with about 20 cyclists taking part but has grown steadily each year with over 600 cyclists signing up in 2015.

This year’s event will take place on Sunday, 7 August 2016.

Sign on for the 110km and 65km will open at 8.30 am for a 10am start.

The 20km family cycle starts at 12 noon.

Registration fee:

110km & 65km – €25 per adult

110km & 65km – €10 for U16’s

20km – €10 for Adults

20km – €5 for a Child

20km – €20 for a family

Pre register on
    http://www.mariekeating.ie/events/martin-earley-tour-of-kildare/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Done this last year,a great event.Rode at the pointy end,loads of club riders taking a turn,lovely pace for the 110km trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Is there any benefit to pre registering online

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Naas Cycling Club

Roads Marked - signage up - forecast looking good
    See you all Sunday in the Naas Court Hotel
    Registration open from 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was beginning to feel like a Jonah on this ride today - some dodgy riding out there!

I was right alongside the chap who had a blowout near the start - the sound scared the crap out of me. I though someone had just been shot and my ears were 'ringing' for a few minutes afterwards,

About 30k in, I was directly behind the lads that came down heavily in a large bunch. Thought I was on the way down too, but managed to hold it together with some instinctive manoeuvres.

Around the half way mark, someone touched my wheel but both of us remained upright!

Then somewhere in the last quarter or so, I was right behind the lad from Kildare Leisure who overcooked a corner and made one the most dramatic follow on from a crash that I've ever seen. After hitting the kerb, he detached from the bike and ended up on his feet in a running manoeuvre!

Hope those who came down are ok. Thanks to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Ah, right, um, so, yeah. No idea what was going on there. :)
    I now dread looking for myself in the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I was beginning to feel like a Jonah on this ride today - some dodgy riding out there!

I was right alongside the chap who had a blowout near the start - the sound scared the crap out of me. I though someone had just been shot and my ears were 'ringing' for a few minutes afterwards,

About 30k in, I was directly behind the lads that came down heavily in a large bunch. Thought I was on the way down too, but managed to hold it together with some instinctive manoeuvres.

Around the half way mark, someone touched my wheel but both of us remained upright!

Then somewhere in the last quarter or so, I was right behind the lad from Kildare Leisure who overcooked a corner and made one the most dramatic follow on from a crash that I've ever seen. After hitting the kerb, he detached from the bike and ended up on his feet in a running manoeuvre!

Hope those who came down are ok. Thanks to everyone involved.

The minute I arrived in Naas it was obvious that the strong winds would affect such a large group of cyclists with mixed abilities. There is nothing that the organisers can do about the weather so you just have to ride with people you can trust. And in a county like Kildare and a route like this, I would expect lots of tough/dodgy moments, even on the flat.

An excellent event I thought and a good atmosphere before and after. Its always nice to ride with Martin Earley and the fact that he stopped at the top of the Wall was a nice touch for those coming behind him.

On another note, I love the way non-cycling local media always refer to these things as "races." Nearly as funny as lads sprinting for "victory."
    It is a charity cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Great photos

Thank you to the +600 cyclists who took part in yesterday's Tour of Kildare. We hope you had a great day. Check out some of the shots taken by Cycling Photography.

We also want to say a massive thank you to Naas Cycling Club who we have worked with on this event for 15 years. They are a brilliant club who have helped us raise much needed funds for our cancer services and we are so appreciative of all that they do. A huge thanks also to the amazing Martin Earley who gives up his time every year and joins the cyclists along the 110km route!

Our thanks also to all our friends who supported the event, including Naas Court Hotel, Avonmore Protein Milk, Broderick's, Fyffes Ireland, McVitie's, Eurocycles, the motorcycle marshalls, An Garda Síochána, Lord Mayor of Naas Fintan Brett and all the volunteers. The cyclists couldn't keep going for 110km without you so thank you for helping us make this event a reality each year.

Marie Keating Foundation

• Advertisement
Advertisement