Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Maths UCD, or Actuarial Maths in DCU

Options
  • 28-06-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am just doing the change your mind on the CAO, and I'm torn between these two courses. I am interested in both as I'm good at maths and am looking to go into finance. I would be open to the idea of becoming an actuary but it's not really a factor in my decision as I'm mainly interested in finance and both courses advertise themselves as suitable for this career path.

I'd be concerned with financial maths as it seems you have to do other science modules in your first two years, and there wouldn't be any economics or general business on the course. Theres no work placements either.

I'd be concerned with actuarial maths as DCU apparently has a worse reputation compared to UCD especially abroad, and the ucd actuary course seems superior (which could be out of my points range.) Also would the actuary section of the course be a waste of time if I don't become an actuary?

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you're doing financial maths in UCD as it is a relatively new course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tippgal84

Hi, I don't have experience in either course but as a 31 year old professional (with a law dregree and 3 masters) I would advise the UCD course as it will open up more contacts and opportunities to you being established longer. This should compliment/compensate for any differences in the courses especially when it sounds like theyre pretty similar given your current strategy of finance in general. Best of luck.

Advertisement