Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for threshold heart rate test

Options
  • 29-06-2016 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I'll be doing a threshold heart rate test using a heart rate monitor this week. It needs to be done over a 20 minute window. 2 questions:

1. Do these tests typically need to be done on a hill?
    2. If it needs to be on a hill, are there any hills on the north side of Dublin which would allow me to do this 20 minute climb? I can't think of any :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hi there. I'll be doing a threshold heart rate test using a heart rate monitor this week. It needs to be done over a 20 minute window. 2 questions:

1. Do these tests typically need to be done on a hill?
    2. If it needs to be on a hill, are there any hills on the north side of Dublin which would allow me to do this 20 minute climb? I can't think of any :S

The test doesn't need to be done on a hill but ideally finish on a hill , to empty the tank , just don't have any downhills .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'll be doing a threshold heart rate test using a heart rate monitor
    How does that work exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Lumen wrote: »
    How does that work exactly?

Find a route that has no lights or risk of having to stop , you don't want any downhills or tailwinds , you need a full effort for the whole lot ideally but not necessary finish on a drag .
    Do a warm up out to the route , the test lasts 25 mins but the reading is only for the last 20 mins because heart rate has a lag , don't record the warm up as its not part of the test .
    Start the garmin and ride really hard but don't go too hard straight away , build up like a TT , after 5mins press lap on the garmin then ride out of your skin for 20mins , completely empty yourself . You should be close to getting sick . After 20mins stop the garmin . Save this .
    Your ftp is the average heart rate of the 20mins ( lap2 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

If you're in Dublin, Stocking Lane is a commonly used hill for this type of stuff.

Edit - only a warm up away from the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can this be done on a trainer? Or is the road a far better option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »
    Can this be done on a trainer? Or is the road a far better option?

My experience of trying these on a trainer is that overheating is an issue, you don't get a true reading and if you cant trust the figure then what's the point? If you're planning on doing most of your intervals on the trainer than maybe it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sullzz wrote: »
    Find a route that has no lights or risk of having to stop , you don't want any downhills or tailwinds , you need a full effort for the whole lot ideally but not necessary finish on a drag .
    Do a warm up out to the route , the test lasts 25 mins but the reading is only for the last 20 mins because heart rate has a lag , don't record the warm up as its not part of the test .
    Start the garmin and ride really hard but don't go too hard straight away , build up like a TT , after 5mins press lap on the garmin then ride out of your skin for 20mins , completely empty yourself . You should be close to getting sick . After 20mins stop the garmin . Save this .
    I can sort of see the intent in this approach but IMO it is likely to give a number that is closer to a 20 minute max HR than threshold HR.

I don't have any practical suggestions other than extending it to 1hr5min. :pac:

To answer your original question, I'd just do it on a flattish, straightish road with no traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

sullzz wrote: »

Thanks very much for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Working with HR Joe Friel recommends a 30min effort with the avg HR over the last 20min being a good approximation of your threshold HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I completed it. No descents or tail winds. Had to be careful to pace myself so that I didn't blow up before the 20 minutes lapsed. Finished on a drag (nag's head). Lots of spitting, cursing and drooling, but wasn't anywhere near getting sick - my fitness levels are pretty good I suppose. Anyway, not looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Anywhere on Dublins northside that's good for a 20min FTP test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i dont think, personally, that HR tells you much if you are looking at how you are progressing. its all about power.
    my HR varies by the day if i go out for a spin... my power doesn't.

ideally if you dont have a power meter;
    1. do the test on a turbo with a speed sensor and inflate your tyre to e.g. 100psi. how far did you travel for 20mins? what was your average in other words? use HR to control your effort.
    2. repeat the same on a monthly basis.

or

do your test on a loop in the same calm weather conditions and see how your average speed is.
    i used a local loop road with left turns last year. first test was 36kph and my last test was 39kph (i had power as well, but this gives an idea).

i might be spouting muck but thats my 2 cents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

mathie wrote: »
    Anywhere on Dublins northside that's good for a 20min FTP test?

Regularily used for Ftp & LTHR test in NCD.

Blakes cross (R132) to the Nags Head. Do a recce before to estimate time.

Nags head segment.
    https://m.strava.com/segments/929371

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mid chest I find consistently the best location.

:pac: yak yak yak, #itsfriday etc etc

Advertisement