Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leave my job for college to study for fire fighting/paramedic ?

• 29-06-2016 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 19 and have been working for about 5-6 months. But I really want to go to college and study about first aid and all things that kind and fire fighting as I want to become a firefighter in the coming years. Just wondering if I was to leave work and join a college, how would the payment work etc? Could I get a grant to join a college or would I have to pay for it? I live in the Wicklow area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 19 and have been working for about 5-6 months. But I really want to go to college and study about first aid and all things that kind and fire fighting as I want to become a firefighter in the coming years. Just wondering if I was to leave work and join a college, how would the payment work etc? Could I get a grant to join a college or would I have to pay for it? I live in the Wicklow area. Thanks

Stay working, consider private EMT course and join Wicklow Civil Defence AFS to get fire fighting experience. CD will eventually train you as EMT but you're looking at a couple of years commitment before and after the fact. No harm to sort your driving licences in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

No offence but you don't seem very knowledgeable on the subject just yet.

1. Keep working
    2. Join a voluntary phecc approved organisation
    3. Gain experience and training that way.

I don't think there is any college courses out there that will set you up for what you want.

Take advantage of the training that a voluntary organisation can offer you whilst you keep working and keep an eye on publicjobs.ie

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

As Limericklad said......learn a bit about the subject matter before making a decision.

"I really want to go to college and study about first aid and all things that kind and fire fighting'

^^^^^^This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Advertisement