Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siberian husky

• 29-06-2016 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a siberian husky. He is about 4 years old. I'm just wondering what is the best source of food for him ? Lately he has gone of the nuts he is eat. They are gain. So I tried to change to a different type of nut and he loves them. Only thing is he is suffering from diahrea lately and I'm not sure is it the new nuts he is on or is it something wrong with his belly. I rang the vets today and said they it could be his food. I have to keep him off his food for 24 hours.
    Has anyone got any tips on which food people are using for their sibs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hi there. I have 2 huskies.

We feed Markus Meuhle (kibble) in the mornings and a raw diet in the afternoons. We buy 2 x 15kg bags at a time on zooplus.ie. It's a pretty good food for the money.

As for your dog. How quickly did you switch food? It is meant to be done gradually over time. Mixing a little of the new food in each day. Increasing the new and decreasing the old. Over 5-7 days.

It also could be that you are over feeding the new food. Or it could be the food itself. What is the new food?

Best way to cure diarrea is to starve it out. So absolutely no food for 24 hours.

Then start back on BOILED WHITE rice. And boiled chicken meat. No bones.

A spoonful of natural yoghurt is also good to help a sore tummy recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The most common cause of diarrhoea in sibes is overfeeding, due to their history they need a lot less food than most people think. They would have been fed a high fat diet, but food wouldn't have been plentiful, so they are incredibly efficient at utilising energy from small amounts of food.

At the moment mine are on Gain Record Breaker, which is a greyhound food, but I'm finding it a really good food and I know a lot of sled dogs that have been fed on it. Last winter, when we were working hard, they were on Royal Canin 4300, which is a sled dog food that you get through their breeder scheme, it is an excellent food for sibes if they are doing a good amount of exercise, but as I have 14 dogs, I can't afford to feed it all the time.

Sibes will also go off their food sometimes, for no apparent reason, one of my boys goes days without eating, then he'll go back to the same food and eat normally again.

The advice about starving for 24 hours is generally not adhered to anymore, I would just cut his new food down a bit, and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

muddypaws wrote: »
    The most common cause of diarrhoea in sibes is overfeeding, due to their history they need a lot less food than most people think. They would have been fed a high fat diet, but food wouldn't have been plentiful, so they are incredibly efficient at utilising energy from small amounts of food.

At the moment mine are on Gain Record Breaker, which is a greyhound food, but I'm finding it a really good food and I know a lot of sled dogs that have been fed on it. Last winter, when we were working hard, they were on Royal Canin 4300, which is a sled dog food that you get through their breeder scheme, it is an excellent food for sibes if they are doing a good amount of exercise, but as I have 14 dogs, I can't afford to feed it all the time.

Sibes will also go off their food sometimes, for no apparent reason, one of my boys goes days without eating, then he'll go back to the same food and eat normally again.

The advice about starving for 24 hours is generally not adhered to anymore, I would just cut his new food down a bit, and see how you get on.

My husky will also go off her food. If she is not exercising a lot she will not eat. Our other dogs like to eat in the morning but Nymeria has to wait until the afternoon when she has burned off some of her energy.

I would be careful changing the food too fast. Hopefully he will be fine and back on form soon.

Advertisement